iTunes won't open!

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a 32GB iPhone 3GS, version> 3.1.2 (7D11), model> MC133C, week> 42, firmware> 05.11.07. I used Blackra1n & have a tethered jailbreak. Everything works perfectly, I followed all instructions & investigated for days before I performed jailbreak. All went perfect, fast & easy, I did everything correct from changing root passwords, storing SHSH hashes with Cydia & on. I do not care about upgrading to 3.1.3 & I had iTunes working perfectly, with updates turned off. I was cleaning up computer & deleted some files needed for iTunes like app helper & mobileme. Now my iTunes will not open, I restored computer to before I deleted programs & still iTunes won't open. I clicked apple updater & it said iTunes 9.0.3 available & Quicktime had updates, so I installed them & still nothing. I ran iTunes 9.0.2.25 installer pack & clicked to repair, then ran QuickTime 7.65.17.80 installer & also clicked to repair, still won't start. After iTunes won't start i get pop-up that says "The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occured. (-50)" before I make any immediate decisions, does anyone have suggestions to repair iTunes? Sorry this was so long, I hope you stuck with it. Any help would be much appreciated! :confused:

Last edited:

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
OK, will I lose everything in library? Not big deal I can import everything again, the only concern is my back-up from before I Jailbroke my iPhone for if I ever need to restore it to factory! Should I care about that or am I overreacting? Also will I have to register again & re-authorize computer? Is that OK with Jailbreak? Thanks.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you get the scales available until you have 10+ posts.

You shouldn't lose anything in your library nor your backups as they are stored in a different location than where iTunes is installed.

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you get the scales available until you have 10+ posts.

You shouldn't lose anything in your library nor your backups as they are stored in a different location than where iTunes is installed.

Awesome news! Just for clarification, I go to my >control panel >programs & features >iTunes, then delete it! Should I re-install the same one stored on my PC in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\iTunes 9.0.2.25" or download new package? If new download, does it matter what site I download it from? Should I get 9.0.3 or does'nt matter? Just want to make sure I do this properly. I will hit your scales up when I am "QAULIFIED" >>>LOL. :rolleyes:

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
First try and uninstall and then re-install.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This did not work, any other suggestions? Still won't open, I keep getting error pop-up "The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occured. (-50)" 5 seconds after trying to launch iTunes. :confused::confused::confused:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You can try removing the preference files for iTunes.

Make a copy of these folders before you delete them....move them somewhere else in case this doesn't fix the issue.

The folders are:
X:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\
X:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences

Then try to restart iTunes.

Also, did you move your iTunes library to somewhere other than where it is defaulted to?

Edit: Your iPhone backups are stored in
X:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\ so don't delete that one.

Last edited:

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
You can try removing the preference files for iTunes.

Make a copy of these folders before you delete them....move them somewhere else in case this doesn't fix the issue.

The folders are:
X:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\
X:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences

Then try to restart iTunes.

Also, did you move your iTunes library to somewhere other than where it is defaulted to?

Edit: Your iPhone backups are stored in
X:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\ so don't delete that one.

Before I do this I noticed that the "AppData" folder looked different than the rest. It was like transparent or faded instead of file folder yellow like rest of folders. I clicked "properties" for that folder & at bottom for Attributes it has 2 sqaures, both were filled in, "solid sqaure" filled in for "Read Only" attributes in "AppData" folder & "check mark" in sqaure for "hidden" attributes in "AppData" folder I may have them wrong, what should the Attributes of this folder & all my folders be? This may be my problem!

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Still not working, HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP! Until then what's the best way to add, remove & access files on my iPhone other than with iTunes? Is it just by opening with PC? Is there anything I should not be doing till I get my iTunes working again? :confused:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Before I do this I noticed that the "AppData" folder looked different than the rest. It was like transparent or faded instead of file folder yellow like rest of folders. I clicked "properties" for that folder & at bottom for Attributes it has 2 sqaures, both were filled in, "solid sqaure" filled in for "Read Only" attributes in "AppData" folder & "check mark" in sqaure for "hidden" attributes in "AppData" folder I may have them wrong, what should the Attributes of this folder & all my folders be? This may be my problem!

The folder should be hidden, Windows does that to "protect" users that don't know what they are doing. It shouldn't be read only. If it was a square it means it contains a folder or file that's read only.

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
The folder should be hidden, Windows does that to "protect" users that don't know what they are doing. It shouldn't be read only. If it was a square it means it contains a folder or file that's read only.

Your reply tell's me what it should be at, assuming I knew where it was supposed to be in first place, doh! My bad, I went check mark & permission change happy with my folder's? Because some of my folder's appeared almost like they were transparent & I thought that meant that I could not access contents so I made changes, like a DUMMIE! Will system restore be best before I uninstall iTunes?:confused::confused::confused:

Also, I have 4 drives on my PC 1)C: MAIN DATA 2)D: EXTRA DATA 3)J: LOCAL DISK, FROM OLD PC 4) K: LOCAL DISK, small from new PC. How should folder settings be for each drive? Or I am in OVER my head, LOL!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro