ITunes, don't want music on IPhone but want ringtones, music for IPod

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've never really been able to fully grabst Itunes yet, always had problems. Been using it for a while though. I have a Iphone 3gs and a 3rd generation IPod Nano. All my music I want to keep on just my IPod. No music on my IPhone but of course I make ringtones and keep them in my Itunes ringtone section and want to be able to keep those on my Phone.

So what is the proper way to setup ITunes for this....
1. Iphone Ringtones only no music
2. Ipod music only

Thanks
Josh

jvwong96

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thats pretty simple. Plug in the iPhone and go to the music tab and just select that you don't want music to sync. Go to the Ringtone tab and select your ringtones.

Plug in your iPod and just have it sync all your music. That should take care of it.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Appreciate it. This might throw a wrench into maybe not. My Ipod hasn't had music put into it in along time. I deleted my ITunes library so its blank now. If I manually manage the music will it delete the songs already in my Ipod?

Josh

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
yes. you can sync any itunes store music back to your computer and you can reuse it if it's from the same itunes account as your currently use

you will need to use a third party app to sync any other music back to your computer.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
yes. you can sync any itunes store music back to your computer and you can reuse it if it's from the same itunes account as your currently use

you will need to use a third party app to sync any other music back to your computer.

Yeh its not an issue of having the music on the computer. I was importing mp3 into Itunes account. So I've never bought any music from itunes. I've looked into some 3rd party applications to move the files.

The only thing I wanna do is keep my current songs on my ipod in my ipod without deleting them during a sync and add songs through itunes into the ipod. If that makes since. So still the same process. Manually manage.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeh its not an issue of having the music on the computer. I was importing mp3 into Itunes account. So I've never bought any music from itunes. I've looked into some 3rd party applications to move the files.

The only thing I wanna do is keep my current songs on my ipod in my ipod without deleting them during a sync and add songs through itunes into the ipod. If that makes since. So still the same process. Manually manage.

either manually manager or sync. don't do both.

if you sync AND all the songs are in itunes nothing will be deleted once they sync from itunes the first time. it will sync what you select to sync after that and remove only what you no longer have selected to sync. I've been doing it this way for 7+ years.

basically, you're better off realizing syncing is 100x easier than manually managing

also, this isn't an iphone issue