What's with this iTunes update?

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
So, AT&T says we have to download something through iTunes to get MMS. Why? These forums and many others report that they have obtained the ability to send and receive MMS messages early and without doing anything through iTunes. It sounds like this carrier update can be pushed through directly to the phone without making us go through iTunes.

It makes me wonder if they're going to try to force everyone that wants MMS to upgrade to 3.1

All questions will be answered in some hours I guess. This is mainly last minute jitters on my part. I'm one of the ones that have expected MMS since I first got the iPhone 3g and was in disbelief when I found out this amazing phone didn't have that seemingly simple function. I expected it in 2.01, 2.02, for sure in 2.1. They finally have it and I would hate to have to choose between MMS and a jailbreak and hope that Apple hasn't colluded with AT&T on this to make us choose one or the other.

And sorry...love the dev team and appreciate all the work they do...but what exactly is going on with the 3.1 jb for Windows. I'm not an impatient guy, but it's never been this long between the Mac and Windows versions of the jailbreaks. Am I missing something here?

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like this carrier update can be pushed through directly to the phone without making us go through iTunes.
It probably can but everyone who got MMS early installed a IPCC file.
It makes me wonder if they're going to try to force everyone that wants MMS to upgrade to 3.1
If they do just install a one of the IPCC files.
And sorry...love the dev team and appreciate all the work they do...but what exactly is going on with the 3.1 jb for Windows. I'm not an impatient guy, but it's never been this long between the Mac and Windows versions of the jailbreaks. Am I missing something here?
I'm sure the dev team is trying there hardest.

DaPeeps

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Guys....this has been posted all over the net. You have NOTHING to worry about. Its just a carrier file, and whether you get it from iTunes or got it early from the Beta Roms...it does not upgrade your OS. Just. Your. Carrier. File. Period.....there is absolutley no danger to your jailbreak, unless you accept the 3.1 upgrade at the same time that you upgrade the carrier file. Just be careful, take your time, and watch what you're doing whenever the phone is connected to your PC with iTunes running. You will be fine.

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I fired up iTunes this morning before work (6:30am EDT) to see if I could get the carrier file but no joy. Hopefully it is separate from 3.1. Will be interested to read replies as it becomes available.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The problem is if your on 3.0.1 (assuming everyone is at least on that) and you hit the update button in iTunes wanting the new carrier file it will probably only tell you that 3.1 is available so you will have no way of knowing when the carrier file is there because it will always just say 3.1 and would probably do both if the file is ready.

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
I knew something about this whole thing smelled. Forcing people to upgrade to 3.1 to get the carrier file.

Yes, I know there's another way to get the carrier file. I still think this was a dirty move that AT&T didn't just push out the carrier update and instead did this iTunes B.S.

atvrider

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I had to update through itunes in order for mine to work
So, AT&T says we have to download something through iTunes to get MMS. Why? These forums and many others report that they have obtained the ability to send and receive MMS messages early and without doing anything through iTunes. It sounds like this carrier update can be pushed through directly to the phone without making us go through iTunes.

All questions will be answered in some hours I guess. This is mainly last minute jitters on my part. I'm one of the ones that have expected MMS since I first got the iPhone 3g and was in disbelief when I found out this amazing phone didn't have that seemingly simple function. I expected it in 2.01, 2.02, for sure in 2.1. They finally have it and I would hate to have to choose between MMS and a jailbreak and hope that Apple hasn't colluded with AT&T on this to make us choose one or the other.

bullitt3246

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
If your jailbroken with 3.0.1 you can get the carrier file for MMS without updating to 3.1.
I got it on 8.2 beta itunes. If your running 9.0 itunes you have to do one step before you can get it. Im going to post a how to in just a second.
BTW, I have 3gs 3.0.1 and have jailbreak, mms and tethering..

How to in next post, Im just going to post how to with 9.0 itunes. everybody shud update to 9.0 anyways. its safe

bullitt3246

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
If you have an iPhone 3G/3Gs and want to have MMS texting and internet tethering on it do the following...does not have to be jailbroken and will not hurt it if you are.

1.First, open Command Prompt on your PC from the 'accessories' tab...copy this string there...(you have to right click and paste into the CMD line as CTRL V wont work...you also cannot just type it in, it has to be pasted)...

1aCopy and Paste this:
"%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

2.Then go here and download this file to your desktop...you have to unzip it first. This is the ATT_US.ipcc file. download it and unzip it to your desktop
LinkBucks.com - Get your share!

3.Open iTunes, click your device and summary. hold Shift for PC(Option button for Mac) and the click on Update.

4. When the popup window opens go to the dropdown box that you can choose your file type (it is set to look for an ipsw file by default). Change it to look for carrier update file .ipcc.

5.Browse to the one you just downloaded (on desktop). click on Open(or double click it). it will update on your iPhone.

6. When it is done, reboot your iphone (hold down power until it cycles off and then turn back on).

7. Go to Messages. You should now have the camera icon by the enter text box and you can send pics via texts.

8.Tethering will also be available in Settings, General, Network...turn it on and you can use your phone as a modem...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods