3.0 iTunes password issue

cfroisland

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Since update to 3.0, iTunes & Appstore won't connect because it says "password is incorrect." I haven't changed anything, only update the iPhone today. If it matters, I'm an AOL user when signing into iTunes on my MBP. When I follow the on screen prompts to iforgot.apple.com it says that this Apple ID doesn't exist?

Last edited:

XxDonnyxX

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Same here. It wouldn't be a big deal to just make a new account straight from Apple (Which I have) and drop AOL altogether. However all my existing purchased apps on my phone are tied to the AOL account so you can't get updates (which 4 are listed on my as I type this) because they require the password which doesn't work!!! ugh! so annoying!

Intrepyd

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
This is not an isolated problem. It appears to affect all AOL-associated iTunes accounts. There's a quick workaround. There has long been a mechanism in place to transfer purchases from an AOL account to a new Apple ID iTunes account in case your AOL account expires. To use it, just enter your AOL password incorrectly three times into iTunes on your computer. Then it'll ask you to make a new apple ID (if you want, you can just use [yourscreenname]@aol.com). It will ask you for the billing info from your old account, and all your purchases will be transferred to the "new" account, allowing you to login from your iPhone.

jerryrs

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Do you have to create a new apple ID? If I have an existing apple ID can I use the workaround to transfer my aol information to my current apple ID? I kind of would like to avoid creating a new one if I don't have to.

jerryrs

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm not using AOL as my ISP. I have an old AOL email account that I just used for Itunes. I would rather just keep using it since I've used it in itunes for all my prior purchases.

jerryrs

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Still not working for me. I'm hoping Apple will have a fix for this soon. Right now I can only download apps through my computer.

jerryrs

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
working today

Hi, I think maybe Apple fixed something. It seems to be working for me today. The itunes store is now recognizing my aol password.

jerryrs

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I spoke to soon. Itunes let me update my current apps but when I tried to download a new application from my iphone I still get the password error message when it tries to validate my aol login info.

dan36124

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Argh

I have the same problem. Worked practically flawlessly on the 3g...Maybe once or twice didn't recognize the password...But now the 3GS...disaster. The stupid thing can't login about 98% of the time. I've tried adding @aol.com to the end of the login username, tried it without....reset the phone.....I've ever called 1-800-MYIPHONE and the guy suggested I get in touch with ITunes Store Support....I emailed them and today I get back a response saying I should call 1-800-MY-IPHONE!! Arrrgghhh.

I also have an apple ID I created for some reason, but never used in the store. If I start using that, all my apps I purchased under the AOL account won't be recognized. If I could easily transfer them (without creating a new account) then I would.......If I can't figure that out, maybe I will just make a stupid new Apple ID!! Arrghh again. Very frustrating. I guess looking at how stunningly amazing the device is, I'll try to appreciate that and realize they couldn't possibly have thought of everything. Sucks though, when you want to load the new phone up with apps and whatever and ya cant! (at least not straight from the phone only)

jerryrs

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dan, I feel ya man. I'm somewhat surprised I'm not seeing more widespread complaints of this issue. I'm going to call the itunes support people shortly to see if I can permanently transfer my purchases to a different apple id. Even if apple is working on the issue I don't know how long before a fix will be in place.

IphoneAviator

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Had the same thing - although the logIn details in the Settings/store are correct, when I try to use any part of the Itunes Store or App Store, the @aol.com suffix is dropped and I can't access anything!

Very, very frustrated!

jerryrs

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi gang, I finally got tired of waiting for Apple to fix this problem so I converted my aol account in itunes to an apple id. Here is the process to recap:

1) In Itunes go to the Store and use your aol user id but incorrect password 3 times.
2) After 3 failed attempts Itunes will offer to allow you to create an apple ID and transfer your purchases over for you. Note you will need to create a brand new apple id. (I tried to use an existing one but it did not work.)
3) Fill out the requested information (billing information, credit card, etc.)
4) Your itunes aol account information will be immediately transferred over to your newly created apple id.

I confirmed that my purchases have safely transferred over. I know its not a perfect solution but at least it will get you back to your app downloading! :)

dan36124

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
yeah...the iTunes support guy finally acknowledged that Apple does recognize a glitch there and is working on it....If I was going to use Apple ID from now on, I'd like to associate it with my AOL address...which I can't because I already had an Apple ID! (banging head against wall)....And he already said in email they can't transfer purchases. So...if the system can do it automatically when you create a new Apple ID, why can't a live human being do it manually to an existing Apple ID? That makes no sense.

Anyway, I'll get by until I decide to make another Apple ID or they fix the AOL thing!

j00w00t

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
And now it works? I signed out under settings, then signed in after a couple mins. Now I'm bout to play Sonic, lol. Wonder if I solved it or they did

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234