Can I do a Restore with iTunes using an older firmware version?

House

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Here's my story, I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G, running 2.1.

I just installed an update to Installer.app and, like many others, it bricked my iPhone. I can't seem to find any other way to unbrick it than to go into recovery mode and do a complete Restore, in which iTunes says it will download the 'latest firmware'.

Of course, this HAD to happen the day 2.2 was released. If I do a restore to 2.2, I lose my jailbreak and possibly the ability to ever unlock in the future (?). Is there a way that I can restore to version 2.1, or to one of my backups stored in iTunes?

Any help is much appreciated, as I do not want to ignore all of the warnings posted by the iPhone Dev Team that are echoed on the iPhone blog, but I currently am the proud owner of a brick. Thanks...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
All you have to do is download the 2.1 firmware manually, which you can find in the jailbreak guides here, and when you go to restore via iTunes manually select the very firmware you downloaded. Simple as that.

House

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
All you have to do is download the 2.1 firmware manually, which you can find in the jailbreak guides here, and when you go to restore via iTunes manually select the very firmware you downloaded. Simple as that.

Thanks for the good news! Can you please explain what to do once I have the downloaded IPSW 2.1 firmware?

I connect to iTunes in restore mode, but then it says it will download and install 2.2. So, how exactly do I manually select the firmware I downloaded?

Thanks!

House

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You can manually select an older firmware version simply by holding down the SHIFT key (Windows) or OPT key (Mac) while clicking the "Restore" button.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox