iTunes 8.0.2 and 2.2 Firmware out NOW

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Well, it's great so far. Seriously. Safari is responsive and not crashy (so far). UI seems a little smoother (?) or maybe I'm hallucinating. Have not tried to dl a podcast yet, but my jailbroken Podcaster app was SUPER crashy, so as long as it works, I won't be complaining... Seems very stable. Thumbs up. :)

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
This is all preliminary (I just upgraded to 2.2 a few hours ago) but so far, so good. Safari DOES seem more stable and snappy. I'll see how it does on Facebook (desktop version)...

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Safari stability, overall device speed and podcast downloads OTA are all great, but I'm quite cross that the audio for third-party apps mutes when the screen locks. WunderRadio was one of my favourite apps but how am supposed to use it now? With screen lock disabled? I can't see that working too well - lots of random screen taps as you walk down the street, lots of battery drain too with the screen always on. I hope there's a solution to this.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Just read the WunderRadio FAQ and thankfully they're aware of the problem and have submitted a fix to the app store (version 1.3). Phew!

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Is there any way to do more than simply download podcasts directly to the phone? Is there a way to manage them, or at least delete ones you have already heard, or do you have to hook up to your computer, sync with iTunes, and delete them there?

Answered my own question -- the short right-to-left gesture to bring up a delete button works on podcasts too, so you can at least delete them when done.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This is all preliminary (I just upgraded to 2.2 a few hours ago) but so far, so good. Safari DOES seem more stable and snappy. I'll see how it does on Facebook (desktop version)...

Everything seems more stable and snappy in my case. For that alone the update is worth it's weight in gold. ;) If you have not updated do so ASAP.

yildi

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Safari landscape2 portrait switching problem

Hi,
I have done the update and I observe that the battery life is tremendously better now. This is very good news!
But I have a strange problem: when I tilt the phone to go to the landscape mode in Safari, it takes sometime to go there but when I want to come back to the portrait mode, it gets stuck in the landscape mode. I have to click the home button and click the Safari icon again to get back the portrait mode :-(

Do you observe this problem? Any idea? I am quite new to iPhone.

Best regards

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I haven't seen that problem yet, Yildi, but I'll keep an eye out for it. I wouldn't worry about it, though, there's always some weird little things that pop up with updates. For example, I was getting a strange "checker-boardish" pattern when I first sync'd yesterday but it eventually went way.

I will say this in passing: if you aren't already, you should power off -- or soft reset -- your iPhone at least once a day to ensure that it's working properly (this is done by pressing and holding the sleep/wake button on top until you see the power off slider bar). Especially, if you install a lot of apps. I don't know how other people feel about it but that's what I do.

yildi

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Thank you Tunnel runner! I will check newly installes apps then. Thanks for the tip, I have already thought about this, since SR was frequently necessary on my PPC phone too. ;-)

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Definitely Safari is more stable. Things are smoother now. Anyone know what the iTunes update does. I didn't upgrade iTunes.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
I will wait it out before drinking the koolaid. My iPhone has been flawless since purchased. I actually never jump on updates if all is already well...I just sit back and give it time to see if problems arise from others who took the plunge. I will only update right away if I have appearant problems, or it's a significant update with too many goodies to await.

yildi

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Well, for me the very short battery life was a problem and the last update has nice consequences on this point... The overall stability seems better too. The small problem I have signalled had disappeared after a second soft reset.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm glad safari is more stable now, it seemed to be crashing most of the time before the update. Street view is pretty cool but sadly not yet available in the UK as is the transit info :( The most useful thing for me is the use of the home button to return to page 1 but the rest of it leaves me a bit "meh". Here's hoping the next update gives us some of the really useful features we keep wanting like SMS forwarding, MMS, cut/copy/paste, push notifications. Plus, I'd really like to be able to run apps in the background so I can listen to Wunderradio while using other apps.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm glad safari is more stable now, it seemed to be crashing most of the time before the update. Street view is pretty cool but sadly not yet available in the UK as is the transit info :( The most useful thing for me is the use of the home button to return to page 1 but the rest of it leaves me a bit "meh". Here's hoping the next update gives us some of the really useful features we keep wanting like SMS forwarding, MMS, cut/copy/paste, push notifications. Plus, I'd really like to be able to run apps in the background so I can listen to Wunderradio while using other apps.

The simple fact that Apple let that cell carrier in Europe somewhere make their own MMS app tells me they have NO interest in adding MMS to the iPhone. Seems like it is not in the carriers hands.

(Sorry I don't know the exact carrier, it is on the front page somewhere though)

As for the rest of this update, it's pretty sweet so far. I have yet to have a single crash in Safari or any app for that matter. Very nice.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
BA,

At this point, I've given up on MMS - in fact, I really don't care about it.
It'd be nice to have but as far as my wish-list goes, it's at the bottom. The 3 things I want: copy/paste, turn-by-turn GPS, and video record. If Apple can get those 3 features into the iPhone, they'll essentialy have "the perfect phone.". Game over. :)

As far as the 2.2 update goes, I wouldn't say I'm crash-free, but I'm definitely crashing less. Baby steps. At least Apple is listening to us about our Safari concerns. An encouraging sign. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice