Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42
  1. #26  
    oalvarez's Avatar
    iPhone Experts

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,954 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Suggestion: Time to upgrade your Pentium III machine.
    i suppose that is my point. "rebooting" really only takes a couple of minutes at most. at work, yes, i have to close two hand-full's of applications and save them down, and it does take more time. but even then i don't have to reboot but every week at the most. at home it's really a nothing event. a "rebooting" situation is often controlled as opposed to a "crash" that is not. i have maybe one or two apps open at once (lets say outlook and internet explorer). if i want need to reboot because of some program that i've decided to install (or any automatic update prompted event) it takes nothing but a couple of minutes at most to get back to where i was. i don't think it's all that big of a problem, but hey, that's just me.
    Blackberry Pearl (T-Mobile), Apple iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB's
  2. #27  
    whmurray's Avatar
    iPhone Guru

    Posts
    1,739 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Suggestion: Time to upgrade your Pentium III machine.
    You are right, However, moving to a new machine is worse than a thousand reboots,
  3. #28  
    Pearl_Diva's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,818 Global Posts

    Default

    Set up a network and drag and drop your favorite and preferred files, documents and settings to your new computer. Worked for me when they discontinued my favorite transfer software. It's a bit of a pain, but NOT worse than a thousand reboots. Not if you want to get up and running with your familiar items ASAP!

    BTW Oalvarez, I had to reboot today due to some other update, but since there were no projects open at the time, it wasn't the hassle it usually is. But often I have to wait until something is finished before I decide to install any updates. Interruption of certain projects is NOT a good thing.
    GSM Phone & MP3 player freak!
    *Formerly Lady Treo. Too many phones now!*
    Current smartphones: ATT Blackjack 2, WM6 8525, Nokia N81 8GB. Next smartphone: HTC TyTN II(Tilt) & Nokia N95-4!
    P.S. Why wait for iPhone SDK?? SE K850i is customizable out of the box NOW!
  4. #29  
    ScandaLeX's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts

    Default

    OMG! Is it me, or do any of you see how petty this thread has gotten? I mean :censored: REALLY! Reboots are a fact of computing life.

    I dont get it; unless your PC moves with the speed of a snail, how deep can rebooting be? My goodness.... aint none of you performing brain surgery!

    Seriously, as far as updates are concerned, ESPECIALLY when you know its a program that requires a restart, STOP updating. If it aint broke, dont fix it. iTunes? Why update every version of iTunes? Cause Jobs says so?
  5. #30  
    oalvarez's Avatar
    iPhone Experts

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,954 Global Posts

    Default

    ^ thanks.
    Blackberry Pearl (T-Mobile), Apple iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB's
  6. #31  
    Pearl_Diva's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,818 Global Posts

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    OMG! Is it me, or do any of you see how petty this thread has gotten? I mean :censored: REALLY! Reboots are a fact of computing life.

    I dont get it; unless your PC moves with the speed of a snail, how deep can rebooting be? My goodness.... aint none of you performing brain surgery!

    Seriously, as far as updates are concerned, ESPECIALLY when you know its a program that requires a restart, STOP updating. If it aint broke, dont fix it. iTunes? Why update every version of iTunes? Cause Jobs says so?
    First of all, SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!! And when you start editing video and music, photos, and build websites and need to concentrate but get interruptred by too many update request, then get back to me!! Of course those of you who don't do :censored: but surf and check email can reboot without less hassle!

    Anyway, iTunes needs to be updated in order to use the iPhone and newer iPods properly now. It's made so any new version of whatever comes out will not work unless you update iTunes.

    Other software needs to be updated to add functions and correct bugs. My only complaint was the frequent updates of iTunes. No other software except Kaspersky has done this. And since Kasperky is anti-virus, it needs to be updated for security reasons.
    GSM Phone & MP3 player freak!
    *Formerly Lady Treo. Too many phones now!*
    Current smartphones: ATT Blackjack 2, WM6 8525, Nokia N81 8GB. Next smartphone: HTC TyTN II(Tilt) & Nokia N95-4!
    P.S. Why wait for iPhone SDK?? SE K850i is customizable out of the box NOW!
  7. #32  
    ScandaLeX's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    First of all, SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!! And when you start editing video and music, photos, and build websites and need to concentrate but get interruptred by too many update request, then get back to me!! Of course those of you who don't do :censored: but surf and check email can reboot without less hassle!
    blah blah blah
  8. #33  
    Pearl_Diva's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,818 Global Posts

    Angry

    I think you can always add me to your ignore list if you don't like what I have to say!! I suggest you do so before I really curse your :censored: out!!
    GSM Phone & MP3 player freak!
    *Formerly Lady Treo. Too many phones now!*
    Current smartphones: ATT Blackjack 2, WM6 8525, Nokia N81 8GB. Next smartphone: HTC TyTN II(Tilt) & Nokia N95-4!
    P.S. Why wait for iPhone SDK?? SE K850i is customizable out of the box NOW!
  9. #34  
    ScandaLeX's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think you can always add me to your ignore list if you don't like what I have to say!! I suggest you do so before I really curse your :censored: out!!
    And I suggest you do the same since it was my comment you choose to take so personally. Apparently you seem to have a problem with anyone that voices an opinion different than your own.

    Sorry.....I dont always agree with what you have to say; I have that right!

    Besides...what fun would ignoring you be? It aint that deep!
  10. #35  
    Kupe#WP's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    You are right, However, moving to a new machine is worse than a thousand reboots,
    How is that floppy-based, CP/M machine of yours anyway? I guess you haven't swapped machines much in the last decade have you?
  11. #36  
    oalvarez's Avatar
    iPhone Experts

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,954 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And when you start editing video and music, photos, and build websites and need to concentrate but get interruptred by too many update request, then get back to me!! Of course those of you who don't do :censored: but surf and check email can reboot without less hassle!

    Anyway, iTunes needs to be updated in order to use the iPhone and newer iPods properly now. It's made so any new version of whatever comes out will not work unless you update iTunes.

    Other software needs to be updated to add functions and correct bugs. My only complaint was the frequent updates of iTunes. No other software except Kaspersky has done this. And since Kasperky is anti-virus, it needs to be updated for security reasons.
    can i give you some advice? when an update has become available (i have my windows to check automatically) don't open up all of these applications that you mention. you'll save yourself a great deal of time. iTunes updates are FAR and FEW between so they shouldn't cause you such great consternation. they'll tell you in advance when they are available so you'll be one step ahead of the game once again.
    Blackberry Pearl (T-Mobile), Apple iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB's
  12. #37  
    whmurray's Avatar
    iPhone Guru

    Posts
    1,739 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    How is that floppy-based, CP/M machine of yours anyway? I guess you haven't swapped machines much in the last decade have you?
    Actually, swapping is so much trouble that I just buy new ones and network them to the old ones. Right now I am running three. The oldest one is running XP but has a few DOS appsl I am running out of space to put them but I would like a new Vista machine.
  13. #38  
    whmurray's Avatar
    iPhone Guru

    Posts
    1,739 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    And I suggest you do the same since it was my comment you choose to take so personally. Apparently you seem to have a problem with anyone that voices an opinion different than your own......
    Not true. I can vouch for the tolerance and manners of the Diva. Perhaps she took offense at your tone rather than your content.
  14. #39  
    oalvarez's Avatar
    iPhone Experts

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,954 Global Posts

    Default

    that's interesting, i don't see it that way but i really don't care nonetheless. and let's not get started on "tone."
    Blackberry Pearl (T-Mobile), Apple iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB's
  15. #40  
    ScandaLeX's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Not true. I can vouch for the tolerance and manners of the Diva. Perhaps she took offense at your tone rather than your content.
    You can vouche for whoever you want; I am not here to please her or anyone else. Tone? Thats laughable simply based on how many of you talk to or about each other on this and other forums.
  16. #41  
    whmurray's Avatar
    iPhone Guru

    Posts
    1,739 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    You can vouche for whoever you want; I am not here to please her or anyone else. Tone? Thats laughable simply based on how many of you talk to or about each other on this and other forums.
    Woof, woof!
  17. #42  
    oalvarez's Avatar
    iPhone Experts

    Posts
    826 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,954 Global Posts

    Default

    OH NO!!!!! iTUNES 7.4.3 IS OUT! THAT MEANS A REBOOT! ugh!

    Blackberry Pearl (T-Mobile), Apple iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB's
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions