cannot activate iMessage on iPod, iOS version 5.1.1

zackmack7

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm having issues activating iMessage on my old 3rd gen iPod touch. Its on ios 5.1.1

iMessage used to work with no issues. I lost my iPod for a while, and recently found it. I guess since I had changed my Apple ID password since then, I could no longer send iMessages from it (the "send" button was grayed out). When I then tried to log in with my new Apple ID password, but it would say "Verifying" before kicking me back out to the login screen after a few seconds. To try and reactivate iMessage, I've tried:

1) soft resetting my ipod
2) hard resetting and restoring it to my last backup
3) hard resetting and setting it up as "new" iPod
4) making sure my time zone was set to automatic
5) changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8
6) resetting/changing my apple ID several other times

When I log in with my apple ID on the website, it says my email address is verified, so I know that's not an issue. I can even log into Game Center and iCloud with the same apple ID with no issues, which is why its so strange iMessage won't activate. Does Apple still support iMessage on iOS versions this old? Can anyone help me or offer any suggestions?

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Are you updated as much as you can with the iOS software on your device? Most issues like that have to do with not running the latest software because the certificate needs to be updated via software update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zackmack7

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you updated as much as you can with the iOS software on your device? Most issues like that have to do with not running the latest software because the certificate needs to be updated via software update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, 5.1.1 is the latest version available on the 3rd gen iPod touch. Which is why I wasn't sure if Apple still supported iMessage on a version as old as this

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox