Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

13 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

Exclamation Question regarding battery replacement

I have an iPod touch (5th Generation) and purchased it on December 26th 2014. I've recently updated it up to iOS 8.1.2 and the battery life is absolutely shocking. I can hardly get 4 hours of NORMAL USE and then it dies. The device powers off at 15% and then requires charging. I have done a battery calibration (charging to 100%, discharging from 100%, charging to 100% with an extra additional 2 hours extra charge and then a soft reset) but this has not solved the issue.

My iPod is under warranty until December 25 2015. Would I be able to get a battery replacement under my warranty which came with the iPod (the warranty is not AppleCare), if the battery life is not what it should be?

Any help is appreciated, I am in the UK if this helps.

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Default Re: Question regarding battery replacement

If it was purchased new then it should have a 1 year warranty from apple. So contact them or take it to an Apple Store.
    If it was not purchased new, then we have no idea of the terms of the warranty you said you have. So I have no idea if it covers battery replacement.

Default Re: Question regarding battery replacement

You might check the battery first. It could be one particular thing draining the battery. You might try this test to see if the battery's good or not.
    Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.