Limitations of 4th gen touch.

dilligaf79

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My nephews want iPods, and their mother wants to get them 4th gen iPods. The boys are 8 and 5, and they will be playing games ,taking pictures, and listening to music. Are they going to run into any issues since it won't have iOS 7? Can they still download games onto it?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
It'll still be able to do all the items you listed out. But the pictures will be fairly horrible, and most games and apps will run albeit a little slower. The 4th gen touch is pretty much tapped out as it is with iOS 6 running. If they want something with a little more longevity, I'd suggest the 5th gen.

kona314

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The fourth gen Touch is a great device...however.

1) Like you said, no iOS 7 means apps will slowly drop support for it. This being said, games are unlikely to do so anytime soon.
2) Its processor is not the best. Graphics are meh and there will be noticeable lag.
3) A fifth gen, which will perform phenomenally better, shouldn't be too much more expensive, especially with Black Friday coming up. See http://www.imore.com/best-buy-debuts-black-friday-deals-ipad-air-starting-449 and http://www.imore.com/target-offering-100-gift-cards-479-ipad-air-black-friday. Also, larger display means more room for fun!

When it comes down to it, I'd say that it all depends on what types of games they'll be playing. Graphics heavy games = invest a little more money for a more powerful, longer lasting device. Simpler games = a fourth generation should be okay.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 32 GB 5th gen iPod touch for 1 year & 1 month now and it's ok overall. For music it's good (iTunes Radio might lag and crash a lot while using other apps), the camera is pretty good but in low light it's bad, FaceTime works well (both video and audio calls), the display is awesome for watching videos in 720p or 1080p, but games is where the A5 chip starts to show it's age. Angry birds, cut the rope & similar types of games play very smoothly but games like asphalt 8 (or 7), GT racing 2 and similar types of games either lag, crash, or are just unplayable.

Remember I'm just telling you my experience with my 5th gen iPod touch to help you decide, everyone uses their devices differently so it's best to choose the device that suits your needs best.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S on order) using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2