Phantom iPod App Store Updates

rvalvo

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm brand new to iMore and just discovered it the other day when I upgraded my iPad Mini to iOS 7. The problem is with my iPod Touch, which is a generation too old for iOS 7 but is (stuck?) at 6.1.3. It started at the same time that 7 was released. I found the identical problem in this forum dated Jan 28 2013. The suggested solution was to upgrade to 6.1.

A badge appears on the app store app, but all apps are reported as up-to-date. Once, the badge said there were two updates, and there was one. I'm wondering if the badge is telling me that iOS 7 is available, but then the app store is determining that my device is not eligible. The badge might disappear for a second or for quite a while. Or not. But it always comes back.

Any suggestions on what to do about this? I can't figure out how to report it to the powers that be.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you had an iOS update, you could go to Settings>General>Software Updates to see if one is indeed available. If there is, go ahead and update, if you want, but if there's not, I'd trying the following solutions:

1. Logout of the iTunes & App Store, reboot the device and then log back in.
2. Delete the app and then reinstall it.

Hopefully, one of the two will fix the problem for you.. If not, let us know. Take care...:)

rvalvo

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I've checked many times in Settings, and there is no iOS 7 update for my iPod. It's fourth generation.

Just now, with the badge showing, I shut down the app store app at the bottom of the screen. I assume that's what you meant by logging out of it. Then I fully shut the device down, waited a few seconds for good measure, and then turned it back on. The badge is still there.

I'm going to need a little guidance on deleting and reinstalling the app. It's not just another app. Do I need to go to iTunes on the big computer for that?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You probably have an update for an app, but that update requires iOS 7 in order to install it or the update is geo-restricted (I've had a few of those). You can go into the purchased section in the updates tab in the App Store to see if "update" appears beside an app just to make sure.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free

rvalvo

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
You appear to have been spot on. I went through all the purchased apps (How did I get so many?!) and I found one with an Update button - New York Times. I pressed it and received a message that I needed iOS 7 to get the latest update - did I want the most current one that was compatible with my device? I declined since I already had it. The red badge on the app store app went away. For a while, maybe an hour. Then it came back for I don't know how long. But it disappeared again, and it's been a few hours. So that appears to have solved it. Thanks.

rvalvo

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, the badge came back. I went in and accepted the offer to download the latest compatible NYT app. Currently there is no badge. It's like a little game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2