Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

476 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,910 Global Posts

Default Jailbreak iPod Touch 4?

Well, since I'm getting an iPhone5, I think I want to jailbreak my iPod Touch 4th gen and mess around with it a bit!

BUT, I'm new to jailbreaking and I don't want to totally brick my iPod. I can find a DIY/instruction guide on how to JB online I believe, but what should I look out for? Is iOS5 already jailbroken? And I assume after I jailbreak, I can't update the software on my iPod Touch unless I remove the JB. But... will I still be able to sync my iPod with iTunes, etc? And will the jailbreak effect any of my other iOS devices? (I don't want it affecting my iPad3 or new iPhone5).

Thanks guys!
    (Hopefully this is the right place... if not, can someone move it to the jailbreak forum? - Thanks)
    iPhone Pro

555 Posts
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

Default Re: Jailbreak iPod Touch 4?

Hi SaMaster14! Great Descion on getting the iPhone 5!

If you are on iOS 5, yes it can be jail broken with Redsn0w or Greenpois0n. Since you are a beginner at jailbreaking, I'd say doing Greenpois0n since number one, it's a one click jailbreak, number two, it Is best for you since you are a beginner. also, remember, Greenpois0n only works with iOS 5.

Redsn0w could be a little bit more difficult due to the fact that you're a beginner at jailbreaking. You will be required to do DFU when jailbreaking.

If you were to jailbreak on iOS 6, it would be a tethered jailbreak. That means if you turn your iPod off or if it dies, you will have to hook it up to your computer and boot it up tethered with Redsn0w. You could look up that on Google.

Hope this helped!