Can't Update iPod Software

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an iPod touch forum, but there wasn't a forum for the iPod shuffle, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out here.

I just purchased an iPod Shuffle 4G today because I wanted something small to take with me when I go running instead of using my iPhone. So I go an plug it into my iTunes, register it, go through the setup process and sync a couple of playlist to it. I then was anxious to try out the VoiceOver feature on it .. went to try it, and instead of it telling me the playlist name, all it would say was "Playlist 1 ... Playlist 2 ... Playlist 3" ... So I did some research and found out that my iPod Shuffle is running software 1.0.1 (saw that in iTunes) and that the VoiceOver kit that fully enables the VoiceOver feature is available with software update to 1.1, however when I click on "Check for Updates" in iTunes, it says that I am running the current software for my iPod (which obviously isn't true).

In the summary page I'm supposed to have an option to select VoiceOver, but that's not available unless I have software 1.1 ... I'm not sure why iTunes isn't letting me update the software so that I can enable this feature. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

If it helps ... I'm running one of the iTunes 10.5 betas (I believe beta 4). I was running iOS 5.0 beta on my iPhone and kept updating my iTunes as the releases came out, until I stopped with the iOS 5 and went back to 4.3.1 on my iPhone. However, my iTunes is still at 10.5 beta 4 (I think that's the last update I did), but I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it. Thanks in advance!

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
First you might wanna downgrade your iTunes because the iPod Shuffle really has nothing to do with iTunes 10.5 betas. If that doesn't work, try upgrading to beta 7 of iTunes. No luck here means you have to bring it into the Apple Store and ask them to update the iPod Shuffle for you.

Did this help?

Reactions: jonmark

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've tried downgrading, I don't think I'm doing it right. I downloaded the latest full version of iTunes (10.4.1) and tried to install - first it said it couldn't because there was a later version of iTunes already installed. So then I went to my applications folder and tried to delete the current iTunes I have to install the 10.4.1 one, and it told me it couldn't delete it because it was required by OS X. So I don't think I know how to downgrade?

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind, I was able to downgrade to iTunes 10.4.1 ... Since I'm running Lion, I had to open up the Terminal and type in a sudo command in order to downgrade. It worked, and now it lets me enable VoiceOver - THANKS!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen