Mobile Me "Locate my Phone" not working

rareed0219

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
OK so I posted this on the Apple Support Forum but so far I've only got comedians answering.

I have an iPod Touch 4th generation that I would like to add to my iPad (WiFi) and iPhone (3gs) on MobileMe so I can keep track of it, locate it, remote wipe it, etc if it's lost. It belongs to my daughter and she will sometimes misplace it.

I had it set up and working for a little while (maybe a couple weeks). Afterwards, it just stopped updating it's location on me.com. I have tried deleting and recreating the mobile me account and I've done everything on the apple support site to troubleshoot. It's all configured with push and Location services on. I tried removing it from my mobile devices and now it won't even add itself back to the list. As a last resort, I've restored it and had no success.

Both the iPhone and iPad work flawlessly. Has anybody else encountered this on their iPod touch and know of a way to solve it or an obscure setting I may be missing?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That's weird I have a iPad... 2 iPhones and iPod touch all on my account ... Are all your devices using same login ?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iPod Touches and WiFi iPads do NOT have internal GPS chips. The only way a WiFi iPad or iPod will show up on the 'find' site is if you're attached to a wifi hot-spot who's address/coordinates are known to the 'find' web site - or, you use an external source for location data for the wifi iPad/iPod like a BadElf device, or bluetooth GPS puck of some kind.

Last edited:

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The above poster is correct. iPod touch and iPad wifi do not have GPS so you will not get a location when they are not connected to wifi.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b7 using Tapatalk.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
iPod Touches and WiFi iPads do NOT have internal GPS chips. The only way a WiFi iPad or iPod will show up on the 'find' site is if you're attached to a wifi hot-spot who's address/coordinates are known to the 'find' web site - or, you use an external source for location data for the wifi iPad/iPod like a BadElf device, or bluetooth GPS puck of some kind.

Nice post. I agree!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods