I Want a BlackBerry KEYone...Why Should I Stay with iPhone?

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Please read before commenting, thanks! Also, don't quote me here. Just leave a response. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Well like the title says...why should I stay?. I was a BlackBerry Loyalist until the App Gap became an issue. I've been an iPhone user ever since! Work iPhone 6s and personal iPhone 7. With the BlackBerry KEYone launching in the US May 31st running Android Nougat 7.1 and offering an amazing Physical Keyboard it's got me hooked.

So maybe you'll reply and trash BlackBerry. That's okay...it is iMore, but trashing BlackBerry is easy. I want to know why I SHOULD STAY with iPhone. Not why I shouldn't get a new BlackBerry made by TCL.

Ready, set, go...

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, no one can tell you why YOU SHOULD STAY. You should of course stay with whatever you think is best for you. People can only tell you why they choose to stay.

Personally, I stay with iPhone for iOS. If we're all honest, most android devices are usually equipped with better hardware and specs, but iOS's security, integration, reliability and support make it the all round better device for me

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
To be fair, no one can tell you why YOU SHOULD STAY. You should of course stay with whatever you think is best for you. People can only tell you why they choose to stay.

Personally, I stay with iPhone for iOS. If we're all honest, most android devices are usually equipped with better hardware and specs, but iOS's security, integration, reliability and support make it the all round better device for me

I respect that and that's exactly the type of answer I'm looking for. Perhaps I should rephrase and say "If you were in my shoes why would you stay?"

I could debate that BlackBerry DTEK App and Security of Hardened Kernel plus Nougat 7.1 is more secure than iOS but that's a whole other very technical issue. Thanks for the response.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely. I haven't looked into DTEK or 7.1 security so you could be right. I'm more than happy for there to be a more secure option available, it's just that iOS's security is one of the reasons I've stayed so long. Aftercare is also a big reason for me. I know it's dependent on how far away your nearest apple store is, but I have 2 within 15 miles and love that I can pop in and get a replacement or assistance without sending off etc

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Absolutely. I haven't looked into DTEK or 7.1 security so you could be right. I'm more than happy for there to be a more secure option available, it's just that iOS's security is one of the reasons I've stayed so long. Aftercare is also a big reason for me. I know it's dependent on how far away your nearest apple store is, but I have 2 within 15 miles and love that I can pop in and get a replacement or assistance without sending off etc

Agree. iOS security is great. Again it's very technical to discuss through text in a forum. I live in Philly area and have a lot of Apple Store options within 30-45 minutes at most. It's almost unfair!

PA
Willow Grove
King of Prussia
Ardmore
Walnut Street
Exton

NJ
Cherry Hill
Mt Laurel
Moorestown

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
It depends on how invested in iOS you are. If you're not invested in it then it doesn't hurt to try a new phone. I left blackberry for android and then iPhone. I may flip flop between this and a android device because I'm not totally invested in iOS. I can switch back and forth and the only thing I would miss is iMessage.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
It's about what you find most important.

iOS vs Android
Full touch vs physical keyboard

I will say, having been a BlackBerry fan for many many years, that Apple's customer service and support can't be touched by BlackBerry. But beyond that, everything else is personal tastes, and no one can tell you what you should want or need.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please read before commenting, thanks! Also, don't quote me here. Just leave a response. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Well like the title says...why should I stay?. I was a BlackBerry Loyalist until the App Gap became an issue. I've been an iPhone user ever since! Work iPhone 6s and personal iPhone 7. With the BlackBerry KEYone launching in the US May 31st running Android Nougat 7.1 and offering an amazing Physical Keyboard it's got me hooked.

So maybe you'll reply and trash BlackBerry. That's okay...it is iMore, but trashing BlackBerry is easy. I want to know why I SHOULD STAY with iPhone. Not why I shouldn't get a new BlackBerry made by TCL.

Ready, set, go...

The majority of the members here at iMore will not trash talk you for wanting to go with the Blackberry KEYone. I'll be the first to tell you to go and get it, if that's what you want. You've have both an iPhone 6S and an iPhone 7 so you should know the pros and cons of using the iPhone and thus, if you have to ask why you should stay with the iPhone, your mind is all but made up to get the Blackberry KEYone. So with that in mind, get the Blackberry KEYone and be happy with it. It's your money, and your prerogative so do what YOU think is best for "YOU"!

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
The majority of the members here at iMore will not trash talk you for wanting to go with the Blackberry KEYone. I'll be the first to tell you to go and get it, if that's what you want. You've have both an iPhone 6S and an iPhone 7 so you should know the pros and cons of using the iPhone and thus, if you have to ask why you should stay with the iPhone, your mind is all but made up to get the Blackberry KEYone. So with that in mind, get the Blackberry KEYone and be happy with it. It's your money, and your prerogative so do what YOU think is best for "YOU"!

Appreciate the transparency and get where you're coming from. My mind certainly isn't made up. I guess I didn't maybe pose the question right. Like, you're right as I have a 6s and 7 and know the pro's and con's but I'm not an iPhone expert. I think based on current iPhone iteration I'll probably give the KEYone a shot and hold onto the 7 until I'm certain it's for me. Ultimately I wish I knew about the upcoming iPhone devices. Not knowing could actually keep me on iOS til the fall releases. Definitely a hard decision or I wouldn't have floated it out.

And I didn't mean trash talk it seriously. Believe it or not there are so many iPhone users like myself who came from BlackBerry. There are more Android users that trash talk BlackBerry now saying it's not a real Android, which is just odd to me. I truly enjoy iOS and love the little things. Like I've posted about never leaving iPhone unless they get rid of the mute/ring button because I'm to lazy to use Android and pull down menus! I really just don't know. Some people say it trivial even care but I'm a cell phone and sneaker collector. Oh well. But thanks for responding.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the transparency and get where you're coming from. My mind certainly isn't made up. I guess I didn't maybe pose the question right. Like, you're right as I have a 6s and 7 and know the pro's and con's but I'm not an iPhone expert. I think based on current iPhone iteration I'll probably give the KEYone a shot and hold onto the 7 until I'm certain it's for me. Ultimately I wish I knew about the upcoming iPhone devices. Not knowing could actually keep me on iOS til the fall releases. Definitely a hard decision or I wouldn't have floated it out.

And I didn't mean trash talk it seriously. Believe it or not there are so many iPhone users like myself who came from BlackBerry. There are more Android users that trash talk BlackBerry now saying it's not a real Android, which is just odd to me. I truly enjoy iOS and love the little things. Like I've posted about never leaving iPhone unless they get rid of the mute/ring button because I'm to lazy to use Android and pull down menus! I really just don't know. Some people say it trivial even care but I'm a cell phone and sneaker collector. Oh well. But thanks for responding.

I understand and I am one of the many members who came over from Blackberry. Heck, I've stated on numerous occasions that I was a die hard Blackberry fanboy. I really was. As for not knowing what to expect with respect to the next iPhone, join the crowd because all we have right now are rumors and speculations. Anyway, I agree with you keeping both your iPhone 7 and testing out the Blackberry KEYone. That is indeed The smart option, in my opinion. In the meantime, Update us on what you've decided to do afterwards and maybe post a review of the KEYone. Take care...:)

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the posters above. I used an iPhone 4, went to BlackBerry and now back to iOS with a 6S plus (coming from a Passport i like big phones). I'm also intrigued by the KEYone, having had the good fortune (and fun) of trying it out at a CrackBerry Meetup.
It's a solid phone - good keyboard, all the apps you want from Google Play and awesome battery life. Mind you, the 6S plus battery is the longest-lasting of any phone I've ever used.
It's really up to you. If you like a physical keyboard and Android (with BlackBerry touches) then certainly get one. If you've tried Android and don't like it then hold off. Basically since you've used BlackBerry before that's (to me) the key issue (no pun intended lol).

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
The first reason for me to stay would be the Eco-system. While the Blackberry does have the latest version of Android and has all the Apps you want. Your current iPhone 7 does everything you want as well, so why change?.
Obviously the iPhone does not have a physical keyboard but unless you REALLY want one, its not that big of a deal. For me, i have to have a physical keyboard so it would be a deal breaker. :)
The next would be speed and performance, the iPhone loads apps very quickly and even on the latest Android 835 processor, Apple iPhones still win when it comes to loading times.
The next for me would be the camera. the iPhone camera is simply gorgeous and hard to beat, especially with its F1.8 aperture now. If you bundle all these things together. You end up with a product that has an all round great experience and pleasure to use.

Posted via a Blackberry device.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
For me it's a question if you want to carry a device around with a physical keyboard that is taller than a iPhone (149.3) and how much you use the keyboard of course I never liked the Android system and ISO has so much going for it with Apps and frequent updates, with the lack of support I could not see me going back to BlackBerry however the KEYone does look like a very nice device , maybe wait till all the reviews are in and it's released in North America to make your decision Best of luck, and remember Apple has some big things coming with their Iphone 8 .

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
May 2, 2017
Visit site
TBH, it really does not matter, make the change and if you hate it then switch back. I recently made the move from iOS to Android and i have not really ran into any real issues. There have been a few little things i miss and am still trying to find a way to do those on android. Overall i have enjoyed the switch and the fun of android.

All the companies have big things coming in their next phone and when that one comes out the next one will have big things coming, it really does not matter, just pick on and go and if it does not work switch back.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I really think you should give it a try since it's so different and see how that goes for you. Just hold on to your 7 as you said while doing said trial.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd give it a try... That's the beauty of consumer power.

I would also think that most of us came from BlackBerry, and the app issue left us in the dust hence the switch (of course with options as well).

If these phones weren't so expensive after currency conversion in my country (Sim free unlocked) I'd try them all!
Example:
Unlocked 7+ 128GB costs 1250 USD
Unlocked S8+ 1300 USD when available
Oneplus 3T 64GB 580 USD

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I like many others here was a diehard Blackberry fanboy for the longest time. It wasnt until their app support and everything else seemed to just all but fall off the face of the earth that I switched to android, then to iPhone. Now that they are running android on many of their devices, they are probably much better than they used to be. However it would take them coming out with something rather impressive to get me to go back to them from iPhone (or any other android device for that matter).

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I saw the review for keyone, oh that blackberry logo, little red star, hub and keyboard, really bring back old sweet memories :)

Here's my thought if I were you :

The keyboard is cool, as always, but it's kinda thick compare to your iphone 6s / 7, no ?

Then the os support, how long or many years do you think it will get support / update ?

Battery life will it be more less the same with iphone ? (Not so sure android os battery management is better than iphone, or maybe with bigger battery capacity, it will be the same)

Performance 3gb RAM, sure this will not slow down the phone performance for long time usage ? (Not happening in ios)

Anyway, blackberry used to be my "used till damage" phone, but now, i don't know :)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You should stay because the iPhone works for you. You should buy the KeyOne because it works for you or you want to find out if it works for you. Everyone is different and both answers are just fine.

I loved every BlackBerry I ever had (not the Storm) and I still wish things had gone differently with them, but I am not going back even with it running Android. It's not for me. That doesn't mean it's not for you though.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR