Why iOS: It's Easy and I'm Lazy

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Okay simply put, I'm pretty much a phone freak. Others have seen the list of devices I've had since my first "Smart Phone" and you'll notice it's a back and forth amongst OS's. I started thinking...why if I liked certain phones so much, why did I keep coming back to iPhone? That's when I realized, there are phones on my list that I think are much better than my iPhone 7 but, I'm simply TOO LAZY and the DEVICE OVER COMPLICATES THINGS. Example:
-I will hands down say the BlackBerry DTEK50 was the best phone I've had. Except 2 issues, no fingerprint scan to unlock and no dedicated silence/vibrate button. With all the Pro's, those 2 Con's drove me nuts!
-Google Pixel, absolutely loved this phone especially fingerprint scanner in the back. But again no dedicated button to silence/vibrate the phone.

*So I've realized with all choices out there I pretty much stick with iPhone and iOS because of TouchID and a single dedicated button I FLICK DOWN AND IT SILENCES/VIBRATES THE PHONE

YUP, I'm that lazy!!!!!!!! So my question to all of you is do have a reason like me that keeps you coming back to your OS/device that is as ridiculous as mine. Cause seriously, all else being equal I literally can't stand the thought of holding the volume rocker down for a few seconds or swiping a menu to turn to vibrate. I remember the days holding down the # and it would put your phone on vibrate sliding my 9900 into the holster and the settings would change. Sorry for the length message, but I realized I was spending $750 USD versus sometimes much, much less just for single button to put my phone on vibrate and thought it was worth seeing what others thought.

My phone list since moving to a smart phone:

1. BlackBerry 7100
2. BlackBerry 8703
3. BlackBerry Pearl 8130
4. BlackBerry 8830
5. BlackBerry Curve 9330
6. BlackBerry Bold 9650
7. BlackBerry Storm (PIECE OF ****)
8. BlackBerry Tour 9630
9. BlackBerry Torch 9850 (AMAZING)
10. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9930 (Best EVER)
11. iPhone 4
12. iPhone 5
13. BlackBerry Z10
14. BlackBerry Q10
15. BlackBerry Z30
16. iPhone 5s
17. BlackBerry Passport
18. BlackBerry Classic
19. iPhone 6 (Space Gray)
20. BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9983
21. iPhone 6 (Gold)
22. BlackBerry PRIV (Android Fail 1)
23. iPhone 6s (Space Gray)
24. iPhone 6s (Gold)
25. iPhone 7
26. BlackBerry DTEK50 (Wanted to like)
27. Google Pixel

Now an iPhone 6s work issued and 7 personal.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Build quality
Support
Simplicity
Power
Customer service.

See that's my point. Those are all except "simplicity" what I would call Acceptable Reasons. All device should have great support, most don't. All should pack power, but choose not to, and customer service is non-existent in some areas. That said.

There a lot of phones with all these features like the Pixel XL has great build quality, 24/7 lifetime support and service, a battery that pushes as long as the 7plus, and great customer service for just the Pixel and Pixel XL.

Like I mean it, seriously. If there was a button a could flick on the side of the Pixel that put my phone on Vibrate I'd be using it right now.

So I mean, not comparing feature to feature by phone versus phone but what are like the "quirky" things. I think it's crazy I love the Pixel but won't use it cause of the extra step to go to vibrate, I'm that lazy.

Perhaps I should have title changed to something more like, How Much Does Being Lazy Factor into You Choosing iOS?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
See that's my point. Those are all except "simplicity" what I would call Acceptable Reasons. All device should have great support, most don't. All should pack power, but choose not to, and customer service is non-existent in some areas. That said.

There a lot of phones with all these features like the Pixel XL has great build quality, 24/7 lifetime support and service, a battery that pushes as long as the 7plus, and great customer service for just the Pixel and Pixel XL.

Like I mean it, seriously. If there was a button a could flick on the side of the Pixel that put my phone on Vibrate I'd be using it right now.

So I mean, not comparing feature to feature by phone versus phone but what are like the "quirky" things. I think it's crazy I love the Pixel but won't use it cause of the extra step to go to vibrate, I'm that lazy.

Perhaps I should have title changed to something more like, How Much Does Being Lazy Factor into You Choosing iOS?

I don't look at it in that manner. I mean, if the iPhone didn't have a mute switch or something along those lines, i would still purchase it. When I left Blackberry for the iPhone, I hated the fact that it didn't have the blinking notification light that I came to depend on. Yet, here I am years later not missing the blinking notification light at all. I simply adapted and kept moving forward. I've done that with every mobile phone I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of 'em since 1989.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't look at it in that manner. I mean, if the iPhone didn't have a mute switch or something along those lines, i would still purchase it. When I left Blackberry for the iPhone, I hated the fact that it didn't have the blinking notification light that I came to depend on. Yet, here I am years later not missing the blinking notification light at all. I simply adapted and kept moving forward. I've done that with every mobile phone I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of 'em since 1989.

Legit response. Totally get it. From my side, if iPhone removed the switch and put in a menu option, I'd probably seriously think about switching. Which I recognize is completely insane!!! But it's the key differentiator for me, silly I know.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Legit response. Totally get it. From my side, if iPhone removed the switch and put in a menu option, I'd probably seriously think about switching. Which I recognize is completely insane!!! But it's the key differentiator for me, silly I know.

Silly? Not at all. It's merely your preference, and there's nothing wrong with it....

Bushkesh

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
There's still the Oneplus 3T that's got the mute switch on the side and it's actually more convenient in that it's slides along the edge rather than perpendicular to the edge like the iPhones. It's got top of the line hardware and for literally half the price of a pixel or iPhone 7 you gotta give it credit. I've got an iPhone 7 but if I ever had to go back to Android, the OnePlus 3T would be at the top of my list.

And with Marshmallow or Nougat version I can't understand why people still think it's complicated or takes more effort to setup and use. It can't get any more straight forward than that. Yes you have a lot more options but that's your choice, you can either use it as is with the default setup or customize the hell out of Android and make it more complicated. It's your choice.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
There's still the Oneplus 3T that's got the mute switch on the side and it's actually more convenient in that it's slides along the edge rather than perpendicular to the edge like the iPhones. It's got top of the line hardware and for literally half the price of a pixel or iPhone 7 you gotta give it credit. I've got an iPhone 7 but if I ever had to go back to Android, the OnePlus 3T would be at the top of my list.

And with Marshmallow or Nougat version I can't understand why people still think it's complicated or takes more effort to setup and use. It can't get any more straight forward than that. Yes you have a lot more options but that's your choice, you can either use it as is with the default setup or customize the hell out of Android and make it more complicated. It's your choice.

Good points. I'm sure it's a solid device. Like I said, for the most part I'm over the Android part. I've done BlackBerry and Google Android Models. I've set it from the start I'm lazy, period.

I don't think I've used the right word for Android. I don't think it's complicated. I think it over complicates some things. Example, I'm OCD about my SMS inbox and Recent Call List. This again is my personal quirk. I keep my Call Log EMPTY...clearing the Call Log is just easier and less steps than Android. Android can be customized but I'm like there's Favorite, Frequents, etc. I go to clear and have a few extra steps. With SMS texts, it's end conversation or delete conversation or...so where one sees options as positive another sees them as complications?

It's all subjective. We use an example in medicine. You give someone pain medicine after surgery. Some meds are 1x a day and others are say 3x a day. Now medically speaking they working the same and provide all day relief. Some people find 1x a day more convenient while others psychologically think 3x a day must mean stronger and more relief. If that makes sense.

Again. I'm lazy. iOS just works. But I'll give Android another try when BlackBerry launches "Mercury" in the weeks/months to come.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For me:
1. User friendly
2. Apps (especially the photo editing apps I use for photoshop.)
3. The iPhone is the only smartphone I've had. I know a lot about it. I don't want to switch to something I have to learn all over again.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Man, I never even knew what a BlackBerry DTEK50 was until I read the OP's first post...

Simple Breakdown is this.

There is BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile

BlackBerry is SOFTWARE company ONLY, no phones anymore.

BlackBerry Mobile is a licensing agreement. TCL/Alcatel is the Hardware Manufacture making Android OS devices that are secured and hardened by BlackBerry the Software Company.

It's a bit tricky. For example, the BlackBerry "Mercury" will be introduced at the MWC. It is Android Nougat out of the box with BlackBerry Security and hardened kernel. It will be a TCL/Alcatel manufactured device. Sales do not specifically impact BlackBerry as they are a Software company. Sales impact BlackBerry Mobile which could be viewed as Startup almost as a combo of Android OS, BlackBerry Security, and TCL hardware. So far there are DTEK50, DTEK60 already out and "Mercury" on the way.
3d402dc9d8955750194c731f02848226.jpg
1fdc423efba8ea219090578162acc58d.jpg
a7cafc5e42269d09aea5210fafce49dc.jpg

upandover

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Build quality, legendary design, OS as simple as it can be without compromising functionality, wonderful customer service to name a few. But I suppose the vibrate switch is pretty neat! :rotfl:

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
For me:
1. User friendly
2. Apps (especially the photo editing apps I use for photoshop.)
3. The iPhone is the only smartphone I've had. I know a lot about it. I don't want to switch to something I have to learn all over again.

These make a lot of sense, especially point 3.

p3t3rPan

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I want to USE my phone not **** with it to see how pretty I can make it.
IOS all the way. Lol "it just works"
A similar comment got me a warning lol

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've used android phones in the past, used them for about 2 years. Now I can't be bothered with them. They might have lots of bells and whistles but they are a faff on. My iPhone just works exactly how I want it to and it plays perfectly with my other Apple devices (Apple Watch, iPad, MacBook, Apple TV, AirPods).

I don't have to worry about random battery drain, or waiting a year for an update.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I've used android phones in the past, used them for about 2 years. Now I can't be bothered with them. They might have lots of bells and whistles but they are a faff on. My iPhone just works exactly how I want it to and it plays perfectly with my other Apple devices (Apple Watch, iPad, MacBook, Apple TV, AirPods).

I don't have to worry about random battery drain, or waiting a year for an update.
The update thing is probably one reason I still dabble with Android. I can control the updates (including avoiding crap ones).

For stock Android users, I feel your pain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro