Does anyone use a battery case?

Butterfly2

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I m a heavy user...the line of work I m in I m always on my phone I use it for everything banking working keeping in touch with family all over the world...I read my books newspapers I go on forums u name it I use my phone for it...so my battery is always low...I normally recharge when I get to 15-20% but when I m in the field no where to charge so the battery charger works for me...plus God forbid a power outage...most would b without a phone kinda like when. SANDY happened in NYC a few years ago!!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
A lot of the the time people want a battery case for the "extra battery" to top off their phone without having to run to a outlet or having the need to plug the phone up to something or leave it stationary for it to charge.

For you, it might be convenient that the case drains before the phone battery but in practice many people rely on having a case like this as a "safety net" of sorts. Having a toggle imo is just a better design than a always on approach anyways because your not forced into using the case first nor are you put in a situation where you want to take your phone out your case in order to save the battery...because that will devalue the case itself.

I agree to disagree..is what i'm saying.

OK cool, thanks for the clarification.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
It's interesting in that Mophie recommends using the iPhone battery first & when it gets down to a certain level to turn on the Mophie.
I always did the opposite and started with the Mophie on, then when it was out of juice, the iPhone battery was on its own.
Just my preference.
Good Luck

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
All battery cases have there benefits and I have even tried mophie. I'll list why I decided to go with Apple Smart Battery case.

1. You can use your lightning cable. Mophie uses a different type of cable.

2. Apples case is integrated into iOS.

3. It's all one piece. You don't have to worry about parts breaking or losing a piece.

4. It not bulky all around the case

5. Maybe one of the biggest reasons but Apple even integrated a passive antenna into the case so cellular reception doesn't suffer.

Just my personal thoughts.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
All battery cases have there benefits and I have even tried mophie. I'll list why I decided to go with Apple Smart Battery case.

3. It's all one piece. You don't have to worry about parts breaking or losing a piece.

5. Maybe one of the biggest reasons but Apple even integrated a passive antenna into the case so cellular reception doesn't suffer.

Great points Garz
Good Luck

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If I feel the need for a battery case, I simultaneously feel the need for a different phone. There is no reason an iPhone or anything else should not be able to last a full day of use. Heavy gaming might put a strain on that, but that is an entirely different use case, and I have better things to do with my life.

Battery cases tend to be quite large and add quite a bit of bulk to a device. They make a 6s the size of a 6S Plus, or larger, defeating the purpose of the smaller phone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
There is no reason an iPhone or anything else should not be able to last a full day of use. Heavy gaming might put a strain on that, but that is an entirely different use case, and I have better things to do with my life.

Everyone uses their phones differently. I'm a heavy user during the day at work. My 6s Plus battery usually lasts through the day but not always. Luckily I have the ability to charge at my desk or in my car if need be.

DriftSlave

May 22, 2016
Visit site

I only can agree with the lightning cable being a good design choice. Everything else is very questionable or just very "apple".

point 2. the case being integrated in the OS, that's nice and all but i think that's to make up for the the fact that there is no way in knowing how much battery life the case has otherwise.

point 3. It's all one piece. Lol, whut? The likelihood of either of those two things happening is extremely low. the silicone of the apple case tearing is a higher probability than what your suggesting.

point 4. It's not bulky all around the case. And it's design suffers because of that choice.

point 5. If metal bumpers don't really affect cellular reception, then I'm not seeing battery cases doing that either.

For a $99 retail case, you not getting a case that fully charges your phone from dead and it's only offered for one iphone model. I don't think it's worth it, but I could say the same about most of apples official cases.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
For a $99 retail case, you not getting a case that fully charges your phone from dead and it's only offered for one iphone model. I don't think it's worth it, but I could say the same about most of apples official cases.

I love the Apple leather and/or silicone cases :) maybe that's where the disconnect is ;)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I used to have battery cases on my iPhones. Since I started using the 6s Plus I rarely need to charge my iPhone. I decided to get an Anker PowerCore+ instead, which holds up to 26800 mah. I keep it with me at all times, not too pricey and more capacity than a battery case :)

Butterfly2

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
d04af5f70702d9db671da79969e92c80.jpg

The mophie juice pack looks bulky but until u see it in person u will think that! It's not at all like the pic!

user7c

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the the time people want a battery case for the "extra battery" to top off their phone without having to run to a outlet or having the need to plug the phone up to something or leave it stationary for it to charge.

For you, it might be convenient that the case drains before the phone battery but in practice many people rely on having a case like this as a "safety net" of sorts. Having a toggle imo is just a better design than a always on approach anyways because your not forced into using the case first nor are you put in a situation where you want to take your phone out your case in order to save the battery...because that will devalue the case itself.

I agree to disagree..is what i'm saying.

user7c

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
".....but in practice many people rely on having a case like this as a "safety net" of sorts."

Apple placed the "safety net" in your phone instead of in your phone case. Why place yourself in the situation where you have a dead phone but a fully charged phone case - just so you can charge the phone with the case! Battery is going to used up regardless, so long as the phone is turned on, for me, draining the case first makes way more sence.

"because that will devalue the case itself."

I rather NOT devalue my phone BEFORE my case. My phone is way more valuable than my case.

"I agree to disagree..is what i'm saying."

This is the only point we have agreement on ;)