Texts Over 160 Characters Not Being Received By Android Phone

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6s Plus (SIM free from Apple and using on AT&T). My wife has a Galaxy S6 edge Plus (AT&T variant). If I send her a text that's over 160 characters, she NEVER gets it. Is there a setting or something on my end where I can make sure she gets longer texts? It's kind of a pain that I have to split up my own messages to her. She can send me novels and they come through just fine. But as soon as mine hits 161 characters, she never gets it and it ends up in no-man's land.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since she does not have an iOS device, your text messages to her will be in the form of SMS, and 160 characters are the limit for SMS messages.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Since she does not have an iOS device, your text messages to her will be in the form of SMS, and 160 characters are the limit for SMS messages.

I understand that. But I've NEVER had an issue sending her texts with over 160 characters before. She sends me texts with over 160 characters all the time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand that. But I've NEVER had an issue sending her texts with over 160 characters before. She sends me texts with over 160 characters all the time.

Wait, are you saying that the messages that are over 160 characters aren't being split into more than one message? If so, then I agree, there's a problem. Try resetting the network settings or contacting your wireless carrier and make an inquiry.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Wait, are you saying that the messages that are over 160 characters aren't being split into more than one message? If so, then I agree, there's a problem. Try resetting the network settings or contacting your wireless carrier and make an inquiry.

Yeah. They don't go at all. She never gets them. I'll wonder why she never responds. They just get lost out there in cyberspace or whatever. I'll try resetting my network settings. Hadn't thought of that.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They're supposed to be split up into more than 1 text message. It's been that way back before the iPhone was born. If it's sent MMS, then the limit is 1,000 characters.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
They're supposed to be split up into more than 1 text message. It's been that way back before the iPhone was born. If it's sent MMS, then the limit is 1,000 characters.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. I've always had it do that in the past. But when I got this unlocked iPhone it quit working. I'll try the network settings and see if that helps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. I've always had it do that in the past. But when I got this unlocked iPhone it quit working. I'll try the network settings and see if that helps.

If you're texting your wife, use MMS. Just send a photo of flowers along with the text. So not only can you text 1,000 characters, but you get brownie points as well!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I reset the network settings and sent a text with 190 characters. She never got it.

Back to the drawing board.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
She gets split texts from others. But I don't know if she misses anything from others since I'm not the one sending them.

I don't know then. Be sure these are toggled on in Settings > Messages
10c8bd1d7ccfdbefb32c51ed61c0df6b.jpg

If it still doesn't work, check with your carrier. SMS is a carrier function.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know then. Be sure these are toggled on in Settings > Messages
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160416/10c8bd1d7ccfdbefb32c51ed61c0df6b.jpg

If it still doesn't work, check with your carrier. SMS is a carrier function.

Yeah, that all is turned on. I'll have to hit up the ole AT&T soon. It's annoying. We communicate via text while working. And sometimes they need to be longer than 160. I have to consciously split them on my own to make sure she gets them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that all is turned on. I'll have to hit up the ole AT&T soon. It's annoying. We communicate via text while working. And sometimes they need to be longer than 160. I have to consciously split them on my own to make sure she gets them.

Have you tried MMS yet. Does that work? Can you send a photo to your wife?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It's odd then that SMS doesn't work. You can use MMS to send your text, but you have to include a photo. I recall sending texts MMS with the flip phones. With those I didn't have to send a photo too. But you do with iPhone.

Yeah, I'll call AT&T and see what they say.

I've tried converting her to iPhone, but no dice. :)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So after an hour and a half on the phone with AT&T we finally got it fixed. They tried everything. Turns out she had an app conflict. We had to delete a couple of apps and disable/re-enable her messaging app. Now it works.

That's one major issue for Android that I can't stand - apps can seriously mess up other apps and you might not even be aware of what's going on.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So after an hour and a half on the phone with AT&T we finally got it fixed. They tried everything. Turns out she had an app conflict. We had to delete a couple of apps and disable/re-enable her messaging app. Now it works.

That's one major issue for Android that I can't stand - apps can seriously mess up other apps and you might not even be aware of what's going on.

The openness of Android at work.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW