Do people think the rumors of apple ditching the standard headphone jack are true?

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhone 7 with no 3.5mm headphone jack?

I don?t care. I am not married to any type of tech. I remember people were up in arms about Macs not having DVD drives. Well the last time I used a computer with a DVD drive was my iBook G4. I haven?t missed it. The same can be said for the 30pin connector, phones with no physical keyboards etc. If I have to start using lightening EarPods or Bluetooth, so be it, technology moves forward and we leave things behind.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Dumbest idea I gave ever heard. Get rid of a universal standard that can be used with the cheapest accessories to moving to only.one port that is proprietary? How will I charge my phone and listen to music?

What benefits to the mass consumer does this bring really? All I see is Apple charging people for a bunch of adaptors. It's ridiculous. And people have the audacity to say this is the future, there is no way causing more problems than solutions by doing this is the future in any way. If Apple does this for real, I definitely won't be upgrading to a future iphone. There will be no way I spend more money for adaptors or lightning headphones.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Dumbest idea I gave ever heard. Get rid of a universal standard that can be used with the cheapest accessories to moving to only.one port that is proprietary? How will I charge my phone and listen to music?

What benefits to the mass consumer does this bring really? All I see is Apple charging people for a bunch of adaptors. It's ridiculous. And people have the audacity to say this is the future, there is no way causing more problems than solutions by doing this is the future in any way. If Apple does this for real, I definitely won't be upgrading to a future iphone. There will be no way I spend more money for adaptors or lightning headphones.

From what little I have read one of the things it will bring is better clarity and sound through the lightning port. The thinness thing I don't care about also. I would vote for a larger batter, though I get great battery life with my iPhone 6.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

We'll see how this pans out. As of now there have been no official announcements and no indication of how this will be implemented if it's true. There better be an adaptor included with the iPhone though or Apple is going to face a TON of criticism outside of these forum discussions IMHO.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

We'll see how this pans out. As of now there have been no official announcements and no indication of how this will be implemented if it's true. There better be an adaptor included with the iPhone though or Apple is going to face a TON of criticism outside of these forum discussions IMHO.

All those Beats headphones out there need somewhere to plug into!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

All those Beats headphones out there need somewhere to plug into!

I thought about that too. A portion of their business involves things that plug into 35mm jacks. That's why I'm inclined to believe they will come up with some sort of consumer-friendly solution.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

From what little I have read one of the things it will bring is better clarity and sound through the lightning port. The thinness thing I don't care about also. I would vote for a larger batter, though I get great battery life with my iPhone 6.

If they are doing this for thinness there are thinner devices than an iPhone with a headphone jack.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

If they are doing this for thinness there are thinner devices than an iPhone with a headphone jack.

Not thinner than 3.5mm though. LOL.

I don't understand why they need to be thinner than they are. Compared to the battery packs the first models harbored today's devices are like paper thin.

rluka

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

It's easily visible. A phone with larger screen and thinner body.
Now they can even add "better sound quality through Lightning port".

Besides, what will be the next hardware-dependent feature to come from Apple or the competitors after pressure sensitive screen.
Just adding processing power is not that impressive anymore, just like in the desktop computer world where it has became a boring race. Nothing new, just faster and stronger than last year.
I thought about that too. A portion of their business involves things that plug into 35mm jacks. That's why I'm inclined to believe they will come up with some sort of consumer-friendly solution.
Lightning port speakers ? Or maybe adapters that can plug both 35mm jack and Lightning port so user can listen while charging.
But the jack won't do anything but listen to music. Anything else have to be certified for Lightning port. :D

guzzzz

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site

Good point about wireless charging.

I too have a couple of nice wired phones, but I look forward ditching old tech. I wouldn't mind buying a new adapter for the old headphones for the transition period. One of them is a Bose, with a replaceable wire, so I wouldn't be surprised if they release a new wire with a Lightning connector.
It sucks having to spend a few bucks buying connector/adaptors. But it's not too much in the grand scheme of things (just think about the price of the iPhones themselves).

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site

This is not the same as getting rid of floppy and CD/DVD drives. Floppy didn't go away until Better options were out there.
Bluetooth is not a better option for people who care about audio quality. Bluetooth sounds horrible.

CD/DVD drives went away in macs because Apple would Never support Blu-ray.
99% of the world population had a 1080p TV because they got so cheap, anyone could have one.
Streaming 1080p and Blu Ray and HD were very big before the CD/DVD player went away.
Very few people have car play. Not everyone has a 2014+ car, some barely have an AUX port.

I am sure there will be a $59 adapter apple will gladly sell you, but dongles suck.
Since Apple refuses to go USB C, then they need to wait until iPhone 8.
The iPod Nano is only 5.4mm thick, which has a 3.5mm jack and that is Plenty thin.

This is just another part that apple can stop paying for, yet still charge the same for the phone.
Then steal more money from everyone with a $49-$99 lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

I will bet money the iPhone 7 base model is Still 16GB and likely won't have a 3.5mm jack and the adapter will not be free.
MOAR profit. F the customer.
I don't care about headphones, I don't use them. But I don't want to buy a 3.5mm adapter just to listen to music in my car.
If the iPhone 7 has an expensive adapter, i will go Note 6 instead. I'll look at iPhone in a few years when I buy a new car with bluetooth built in.
Best part about not being a loyalist. I will buy what meets my needs, not what's cool to my friends.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

If the Lightening port will have to do double duty, that means more wear and tear on a single point of failure. Currently the 3.5 mm port takes the wear/tear from the headphone jacks for audio, while the Lightening port handles the data/power aspects.

If a single port iPhone actually happens, the above may end up not being a concern, but something to consider.

Jeff Sepeta

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I cannot wait to see Apple's ridiculous excuses for removing an industry standard 1/8" stereo jack and replacing it with a need for a $45 lightning-to-1/8" stereo adapter. Every time Apple takes a step forward and smart by using an industry-compatible interface like USB-C, they feel the Yin/Yang pull to do something equally stupid in the opposite direction. While I sympathize with their need to replace the 30-pin connector with the Lightning connector, I replaced 10 lightning cables last year because they stopped working. At $19 a pop, I'm a little burned out on Apple's forced obsolescence.

Last edited:

Jeff Sepeta

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

You're missing the bigger picture. Apple had a profit motive to not include Blue Ray -- they sell movies through the iTunes store. Having such a relatively small customer base, dropping floppy drives and zip drives from their computers was an easy decision to make.

I'd gladly pay for a slightly thicker device if that thickness is filled by battery. So would many consumers.

The AUX port (35mm / 1/8" jack) on my 2010 car stopped working $170 to fix. As the stereo has neither a USB port or bluetooth, I'm debating whether or not to fix it. For now I'm just playing CD's.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

I'm good with it.
Been using Bluetooth headphones for the past 3 years and don't plan on going back to wired.

If they do get rid of the jack, it won't matter in the long run. Sure people will get upset at first, but then they'll get used to it.

The iPhone's selling point has never been the headphone jack; so I can't see people opting not to get one because of that.

paulthefencer

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

I hate the idea of losing the jack because I bought $400 over ear headphones. None of the ear bud crap. But you bring up a valuable point. I didn't even think of my car. I also have an 3.5mm jack in my car so I need the cable for that too. I hope they at least have an adapter if they do lose the 3.5mm pin.

dharris382

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm a little in between on believing the rumors. Mark Gurman has very reliable sources and a complete overhaul of conventional design by Apple isn't out of their realm of possibility. I hesitate in fully believing it because the iPhone is such a major device for Apple. It sells more than any other device. I can't see them doing such a major overhaul to this product.

However, if they do decide to remove the headphone jack, I am sure there will be some very cool replacement device (both free and premium price) made available to the consumer.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Good point by @dharris382 -- so far this is all rumor so nothing to get upset / worked up about. Yet ;)