How long did it take you to get used to the size of the 6 Plus?

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I am currently using an iPhone 5s from work that I will have to return at the end of the year. Next year, my wife and I are going to travel the world for a year and then move from Germany to the US, which is why I'll need a new iPhone by January. My initial idea was to use an older iPhone 4s that I still had lying around next year but after having used it for a few days I have decided for myself that it's too slow (even with iOS 9), the camera is much worse than I remembered, and battery life even with an almost new battery is abysmal. I'm thus now seriously considering getting an iPhone 6 Plus - the iPhone 6 is already too large for my taste and so is the 6 Plus but with that at least I'll get the monstrous battery and optimal image stabilization. Plus, I'll be able to toss it in the backpack next year in case it starts bothering me in my pockets. I figured that now should be the best time to pick up a good-as-new 6 Plus since many people are selling theirs in order to get a 6S Plus.

The question is: for those of you who never used a larger phone before, how long did it take you to get used to the sheer size of the phone?

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Why not get another 5s ? To answer your question though, it took me a few days tops. Now when I handle a phone that is smaller compared to the 6 plus, I feel like my hands engulf it lol. You'll get use to it. If u feel it's to big, you'll be better off with the 6 or 6s

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus  using Tapatalk

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to mention that: the 5S is two-year old technology and too expensive for what it offers. If I'm going to spend money then I'm not going to buy something that is outdated from the start ;)

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Why not get another 5s ? To answer your question though, it took me a few days tops. Now when I handle a phone that is smaller compared to the 6 plus, I feel like my hands engulf it lol. You'll get use to it. If u feel it's to big, you'll be better off with the 6 or 6s

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus  using Tapatalk

This happened to me after 5 min of holding another classmates phone. In training I held her plus to see if I liked the size. When I held my 6 in comparison mine felt bitty! Lol can't wait for my new plus to ship!

Sci_Fy

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
It took a month or so to get used to it. It felt massive and I was actually in two minds as to whether it was too big. Now I don't even notice that it's big. Not sure I could go back to a smaller phone now.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It took my a couple of days to get used to the 6+ last year. Now I can't imagine going back to something smaller.

Exatly this^^^. Coming from my 5s, it took me about two/three days to get use to the size of my 6 Plus. Now when I hold my wife's 5s, I can't imagine going back to a smaller screen size iPhone, or any phone that size again.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't take me long to adjust to a new device. I have gone to the iPhone 6 Plus and then to the iPhone 6 and back again. And then back again. After a couple of days, the size feels right to me. And that's with either size. Currently, I'm on the iPhone 6 and it feels good. But so did the plus when I had it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scsecret83

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
A while - before I got it lots of people told me that I could easily carry it in a front pocket etc. - but it just didn't work for me. It's too annoying to have it there and it can bend too. I carry it around usually in my laptop case or suit pocket...it is honestly kind of a nuisance - I am actually looking at going to the iPhone 6s instead.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
A while - before I got it lots of people told me that I could easily carry it in a front pocket etc. - but it just didn't work for me. It's too annoying to have it there and it can bend too. I carry it around usually in my laptop case or suit pocket...it is honestly kind of a nuisance - I am actually looking at going to the iPhone 6s instead.

Are you a woman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
About 0.0001 seconds. I drifted from iOS for about six months and was using an HTC One M8, that and using iPads a lot it wasn't difficult at all. In fact it's more difficult to use my iPhone 5 again. I type much more accurately on the larger screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clankfu

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site

That's what I'm worried about too. I tried out my friend's Plus in my front pocket and it feels cumbersome when I'm sitting down.

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everybody for their input. I'll go check the 6 Plus out at the Apple Store today and will start looking for used ones tomorrow morning. Prices are amazing right now, I've seen 64GB 6 Plus phones sell for 550€ on eBay, that's almost half the price of the 64GB 6S Plus which sells for 970€.

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I was lucky and found a good deal on an iPhone 6 Plus today. Will start using it exclusively tomorrow morning to force myself to get used to it asap.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I never really fully got used to it...I still kind of hate it in many situations, but until Apple brings the same feature set to the smaller device...here I am.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Took me about a week to get used to the 6 Plus. Had the 6 for about 4 months before. Had a 5 before that for 2 yrs.

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The phone has surived the first 24 hours without any drops :yes: :cool: Which is amazing considering that I have to adjust and readjust my hand constantly when using it but the Apple leather case that came with it certainly helped. The screen is obviously awesome but I'm still unsure as to what to do with the extra screen real estate. Using it still feels unnatural - so much for "a few hours maybe" ;)

Since future drops are unavoidable (the question is not whether or not I'll drop it, the question is how long it'll take and how bad it'll be) I've ordered a tempered glass screen protector and will be looking into wallet cases as well.

Last edited:

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I kept my 6 plus for about a week and I just couldn't get on with it.
Too uncomfortable in my pocket, a little too big and bulky in my car mount, really really sketchy when attempting to use it one handed, etc.

I exchanged it for a 6 and have been very happy ever since.

If the iPhone 7 manages to keep the 5.5" screen, but reduces the height of the phone somewhat, I would definitely consider getting it. I just felt, and still do, that the current Plus is designed terribly from an ergonomic standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Never. Had both for awhile. Loved the battery but too big for pockets and not practical for me. Sold it and just use my 6 (now 6s). Glad I did.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh