iPhone 6 owners, to S or not to S? That is the question.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, people: PUH-LEEZE educate this most puzzled and clueless iMore Techtard: WHAT THE HECK DOES FORCE TOUCH DO???
What is it for?
How would I use it, how would I benefit from it?
Do I need it and why?

... Because honestly, to quote a previous post above, I haven't been this satisfied with a phone (iPhone 6 Plus) since forever.
So what would be the reason for me to upgrade?

Just the rumor of what I have heard at this point is that it would allow for some additional options within the system and apps. Like how pressing the wifi button just toggles it on and off now, if you did a force press it might take you into more advanced wifi settings. Maybe force pressing on an app, like Twitter for example, could automatically open up into composing a new post. Or the same thing in messages, it could go straight into composing a new message. Those are just a couple of examples that I've heard - but I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Just the rumor of what I have heard at this point is that it would allow for some additional options within the system and apps. Like how pressing the wifi button just toggles it on and off now, if you did a force press it might take you into more advanced wifi settings. Maybe force pressing on an app, like Twitter for example, could automatically open up into composing a new post. Or the same thing in messages, it could go straight into composing a new message. Those are just a couple of examples that I've heard - but I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to play with one to decide if it's something I need or not. Thanks!

Lord Killington

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Ok, people: PUH-LEEZE educate this most puzzled and clueless iMore Techtard: WHAT THE HECK DOES FORCE TOUCH DO???
What is it for?
How would I use it, how would I benefit from it?
Do I need it and why?

... Because honestly, to quote a previous post above, I haven't been this satisfied with a phone (iPhone 6 Plus) since forever.
So what would be the reason for me to upgrade?

I've been using force touch on the Watch since April and it is basically a hard press that reveals additional options within the app you are using at the time. It's quite a lot like a right-click on windows or a 2-finger tap on OSX. Developers can use this feature to offer extra functionality without cluttering the screen with extra buttons.

Here is a couple of links that go into a bit more detail if that helps.

Everything Force Touch can do on your Apple Watch
Force Touch on the iPhone 6s said to focus on shortcuts | iMore

As for upgrading, I personally won't be as my 6 Plus is doing great right now and my 2 year contract always ends on a new numbered iPhone. So iPhone 7 here I come.

Hope this helps

ScottAB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Only if my new 6S will fit in my current iPhone six sized Mophie battery pack and my lifeproof case. Those are two investments that have dramatic depreciation - but are greatly useful me for international travel and beaches.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Still undecided, mine works perfectly fine. I'm going to decide after the keynote.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus  using Tapatalk

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I think I'll pass. My 6 still feels new enough to go for another lap (and by that I mean year). I also just ordered a pretty sweet skin for it, that and iOS9 should keep me happy for at least the rest of the year.

shivamanuja

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
If iphone 6s design will be same like my current iphone 6 then i will not upgrade this year and i will buy ipad mini 4 or ipad air 3 instead of iphone 6s because i never used ipad in my life so using ios 9 on big screen will be an awesome experience for me.

MrAdamsD

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded my 6 plus 16gb to the 64 gb today because I ran out of space. I did the iPhone forever plan with Sprint so I will be upgrading to the newest 6S Plus when it comes out. Having the latest and greatest phone is a weakness of mine.

I have the same exact problem lol

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Manny13840

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
This will be my first to not jump and get the S model, i always upgrade yearly but this time I'm very satisfied with the 6+, and don't see need of a upgrade unless its a different design... Ios 9 will make it like new again and i just bought a new case making it feel a new phone also haha force touch or a different color won't make me change...

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
This will be my first to not jump and get the S model, i always upgrade yearly but this time I'm very satisfied with the 6+, and don't see need of a upgrade unless its a different design... Ios 9 will make it like new again and i just bought a new case making it feel a new phone also haha force touch or a different color won't make me change...

Your new case should fit the new model too if they stick to what thy have historically done. I just bought a case myself. But it should fit the next model too.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Even though my Wife gave me her upgrade, I'm still undecided. I'm just going to wait and see the keynote as well as see the new 6s Plus in person before making a decision.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
No 6S Plus for me. I'm locked into the iPhone 6S. I have a Lifeproof case that should fit it. I'm also looking at getting the white instead of the space grey.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to jump on iPhone Forever so I can get the 6S Plus when it's released. Although, I'm only going to go with the 64GB model instead of the 128GB model.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm going for it. I qualify for $0 down with T-Mobile now, I think I end up just needed to pay on the tax. Technically, it's not $0 down but it's still less expensive than having to put down half right?

Anyways, if the 2GB RAM rumor is a fact, I'm certainly down. Don't we all get to find out today for sure? At any rate, the reinforced frame, camera spec bump, plus my desire to get 128GB this time, and I'm pretty much onboard!

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I can hold out this year but if there is a feature that flips me I may just upgrade. Touch ID got me with the 5S and  Pay and the screen got me with the 6 Plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk