Annual New iPhone?

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I feel, and let me know your thoughts, that Apple has now reached a point where they shouldn't release a new iPhone every fall. I feel like every year should be a large iOS update, and only every other year a new device. I just feel like while technology is advancing quickly, a new iPhone model with only one or two real features changed with added cosmetic only changes isn't necessary.

I love all their phones. But since the 4-4s-5-5s-6- now 6s/7 isn't a whole lot of changes... 4-4s gave a slightly better camera and Siri. 5-5s only gave Touch ID and slightly better camera. And now it's only adding (rumored) force touch. All great improvements, but most good improvements are made with their software updates, and going every two years with a device to add several new features would be better in my opinion.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I feel, and let me know your thoughts, that Apple has now reached a point where they shouldn't release a new iPhone every fall. I feel like every year should be a large iOS update, and only every other year a new device. I just feel like while technology is advancing quickly, a new iPhone model with only one or two real features changed with added cosmetic only changes isn't necessary.

I love all their phones. But since the 4-4s-5-5s-6- now 6s/7 isn't a whole lot of changes... 4-4s gave a slightly better camera and Siri. 5-5s only gave Touch ID and slightly better camera. And now it's only adding (rumored) force touch. All great improvements, but most good improvements are made with their software updates, and going every two years with a device to add several new features would be better in my opinion.

Poppycock.

Samsung seems to be releasing a new model every week. Many/most people want Apple to release more frequently.

To be honest, I don't see Apple changing their release cycle just because you or I say they should (and personally, I don't agree with your position on this). Besides, this way, Apple sells twice as many devices than they would if they only released a new model ever other year.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I feel like once a year is reasonable. It's long enough to get people excited but not so long as to make people feel like they're being forgotten. Nor is it so frequent that people start to overlook the devices due to over saturation. They've got their method. I think it's just fine.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Two years will be awesome. iPhones will really have a huge value and even after 2 years the 2 years old iPhone will still have a lot of value. I'm ok with a 2 year cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Why in the world would Apple put out a phone every 2 years and they make money hand over fist every year with iPhone sales.
They have a proven formula for generating revenue every year.
Wouldn't you want record profits from selling your product? And could make record profits every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Nah.....I want Apple to get me a new iPhone every year. After all, my old device goes to a family member. Need to keep that tradition going, you know.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I like the once a year approach. Even if I may not need a new phone every year, its fun to see and follow technology as it continues to advance and improve.

Lestat1886

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't really agree because most people don't buy a new phone every year. You can buy an iphone 5 and change whenever you feel it woerth it. I think Appl?s cycle is very well adapted for now for a 2 year contract model for example.

ChuckG73

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I love that my addiction for android phones will now be over and I only have to worry about getting a new phone once a year. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't really agree because most people don't buy a new phone every year. You can buy an iphone 5 and change whenever you feel it woerth it. I think Appl?s cycle is very well adapted for now for a 2 year contract model for example.

Historically most got a new phone every 2 years for the 2 year carrier contracts. That's about to end. Verizon will be all EDGE by next year. So the opportunity will be greater to upgrade each year.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. No need to keep those who are willing to get new ones every year from doing so, simply because others prefer every two years.
Apple is a business, meant to make money. Would be to their detriment to hold back from sales.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just because Apple releases a new phone every year does not mean you need to UPGRADE every year! The choice is yours, if you want the latest and the greatest then you sell your old iphone and upgrade, IF you are satisfied then you wait and get the NEXT upgrade. I'm happy with my 6 Plus and will skip the 6S, and then consider the 7 or whatever NEXT year. And needless to say I'm looking at other platforms also since I'm platform agnostic. :) I will probably get a One Plus Two, Moto X Style, or BlackBerry Slider to replace my Passport as my next phone. (yes I carry 2 phones lol)

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
But since the 4-4s-5-5s-6- now 6s/7 isn't a whole lot of changes...

And...? So...? You've only provided justification for why someone shouldn't buy a new iPhone every year. Just because the changes aren't overly significant, however, doesn't mean Apple shouldn't release a refined version every year. Some people are on different contract cycles than others, which is why it makes sense that Apple releases a new version every year. If you don't like that, then just don't buy a new iPhone every year. Problem solved for you. Everyone is happy.

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
And damn- what's with all the smart *** sarcastic replies? Jesus, so much for a friendly forum post to discuss ideas. I love Apple, and love a new phone every year, it's great. As stated universe, I just feel like they'll plateau soon and a new release will be near pointless. Just MY OPINION. On MY TOPIC post. So don't get all **** on me, damn.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
And damn- what's with all the smart *** sarcastic replies? Jesus, so much for a friendly forum post to discuss ideas. I love Apple, and love a new phone every year, it's great. As stated universe, I just feel like they'll plateau soon and a new release will be near pointless. Just MY OPINION. On MY TOPIC post. So don't get all **** on me, damn.

Thanks for posting this, but people get a little sensitive about the iPhone's .....LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2