Annual New iPhone?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You act like Apple is forcing you to upgrade every year, lol!

Apple releases a new iPhone every year and it breaks sales records EVERY year. Why would they stop? Apple isn't plateauing, regardless of what random article you read about investment firms (which actually makes me laugh because they'd call for a new flash on profit decline even in the most insignificant case just to garner attention).

If you don't feel the iPhone is worthy of an upgrade yearly because it is your opinion that the features aren't worth it...then don't upgrade. Personally, every single year I find a reason to upgrade to a new iPhone, and I enjoy each iPhone immensely better than the last. Does that mean everyone should upgrade? Hell no...it just means that I find value in the yearly refreshes...and based on the sales figures for the last 8 years, it seems that the majority of consumers agree with me.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Haha oops, typo- I meant to say I bet I'm more of an iPhone nerd than half of these people.

What qualifies as an "iPhone nerd", and what is the hierarchy? I'm just curious because I'm not sure how you could have come to that conclusion with 34 whole posts in our community.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You're on an Apple forum telling a bunch of Apple lovers that their company shouldn't give them something slightly better to spend their money on every year. You had to know this response is what you'd get. Not many people are going to agree with you. People are defensive about their loyalties and major companies have some devoted apologists. Apple could release the same exact phone next month as last month and will still sell hand over fist with effective marketing.

This is iMore! Here, we are biased only to the fact that we prefer Apple products and services more so than not. With that in mind, those of us who've been here a while do not have a problem giving our honest opinions. For example: Are there numerous smartphones that have better specs than the iPhone? Of course, there are. That was an honest and unbiased answer. Here's another one. If there are numerous other smartphones with better specs than the iPhone, shouldn't you get one of those instead? No, I should not! That, too, is an honest and unbiased answer. The problem with certain people is that they think that what they consider to be the best should be viewed that way by everyone and when someone like me who settles for what's best for 'me', I get called a fan boy and Apple can do no wrong in my eyes. I just laugh because I'm always amazed at how many of us who frequent the iMore forums are here to help people, whether troubleshooting or giving advice as opposed to some people who enter this forum, knowing it's Apple-centric, to allegedly seek honest opinions of which they cannot handle.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
This is iMore! Here, we are biased only to the fact that we prefer Apple products and services more so than not. With that in mind, those of us who've been here a while don't have a problem giving out honest opinion on something. For example: Are there numerous smartphones that have better specs than the iPhone? Of course, there are. That was my honest unbiased answer. Here's another one. If there are numerous other smartphones with better specs than the iPhone, shouldn't I get one of those instead? No, I should not! That, too, is an honest and unbiased answer. The problem with certain people is that they think that what they consider to be the best should be felt by everyone and when someone like me who settles for what's best for 'me', I get called a fan boy and Apple can do no wrong in my eyes. I just laugh because I'm always amazed at how many of us who frequent the iMore forums are here to help people, whether troubleshooting or giving advice whereas some people enter this forum, knowing it's Apple-centric, allegedly seeking honest opinions of which they cannot handle.

Hear! Hear!

Of course there are those who pose propositions that run contrary to the mainstream thought, and ask "what do you think?"... and then get their collective panties in a wad when someone who disagrees with their premise tells them "what they think". That is typically when the wailing and gnashing of teeth begins. Of course, they were simply trying to start a conversation - but they only want to hear from those who agree.

Such is the state of online forum sites.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This is iMore! Here, we are biased only to the fact that we prefer Apple products and services more so than not. With that in mind, those of us who've been here a while do not have a problem giving our honest opinions. For example: Are there numerous smartphones that have better specs than the iPhone? Of course, there are. That was an honest and unbiased answer. Here's another one. If there are numerous other smartphones with better specs than the iPhone, shouldn't you get one of those instead? No, I should not! That, too, is an honest and unbiased answer. The problem with certain people is that they think that what they consider to be the best should be viewed that way by everyone and when someone like me who settles for what's best for 'me', I get called a fan boy and Apple can do no wrong in my eyes. I just laugh because I'm always amazed at how many of us who frequent the iMore forums are here to help people, whether troubleshooting or giving advice as opposed to some people who enter this forum, knowing it's Apple-centric, to allegedly seek honest opinions of which they cannot handle.
You make my heart sing. ❤❤❤

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hear! Hear!

Of course there are those who pose propositions that run contrary to the mainstream thought, and ask "what do you think?"... and then get their collective panties in a wad when someone who disagrees with their premise tells them "what they think". That is typically when the wailing and gnashing of teeth begins. Of course, they were simply trying to start a conversation - but they only want to hear from those who agree.

Such is the state of online forum sites.

This is a plague on iMore lately...the people who historically would have been called trolls who come on here spouting off about something they don't like but hide the trolling under the veil of "discussion". It's absolute horse sh*t...forgive my language.

martinfeld

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the idea that most of the truly exciting updates come in the form of software, but to update hardware less frequently, even if those updates are absolutely awesome, would create a harmful perception that somehow Apple is less innovative than other handset-makers. This perception would hold strong even if competitors' more frequent updates were absolute filth.

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
To clarify- my panties didn't get in a wad over a difference of opinion. I was annoyed that I was talked to like I'm some ******* who knows nothing and was just talked down to with sarcasm that was uncalled for.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To clarify- my panties didn't get in a wad over a difference of opinion. I was annoyed that I was talked to like I'm some ******* who knows nothing and was just talked down to with sarcasm that was uncalled for.

You said, "....and let me know your thoughts". Well, those thoughts were made known to you. Blunt replies are often viewed as sarcasm or as demeaning, but we often fail to know the state of mind of the person who replied at that time. He or she may have been too busy to sugarcoat the reply, but wanted to respond anyway. Besides, when you ask people to share their opinions/thoughts, be prepared to receive exactly what you 'asked for' and not what you may have been 'hoping for'.

Lestat1886

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Well you are right, i just heard about it (i don't live in the us). In other parts of the world, it's not like that yet and we still have a choice. For me, i take my phone without any carrier but for many people it may be more convenient to go for a subsidiezed phone.

But with that system, i think people will be even less likely to change their phone every year...

That could be a threat for high end phones, especially the iPhone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Actually, that is exactly why you got your panties in a wad. No clarification needed, its right there in the thread.

Going back to the beginning of the thread, I don't really see anything that made you look like an id*ot, nor do I see any harsh sarcasm. You very clearly got upset because people blatantly disagreed with your assessment. I mean you're welcome to your opinion just like any one else here, but I personally think your stance and views on the evolution of the iPhone is a bit asinine personally...but again, if that's your opinion of it, whatever floats your boat.

The whole plateauing thing was pretty comical, I must say.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would hate this. In honesty I think the "s" variants have been the best phones they made. The 4s was a fantastic phone, Siri was revolutionary at the time so was the camera upgrade. The 5s adding TouchID and 64bit computing changed the entire landscape of mobile phone security. Not to mention the m7 chip that debuted with 5s was great for fitness minded people.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I would bet if you didn't have a yearly successful release you'd fall behind in buyers' minds as old tech. They stay ahead by iterating yearly. They have the best functioning devices with not technically most performant internals. As you said this is through great software. But 2 years is just too long.

You'd have to reclaim users each two year cycle. Apple knows how many phones to make each cycle. Plus think of how much money they would pass on.

People have had 2 year contracts that expire at varying times. Yearly new hardware attracts more buyers of this type then a 2 year hardware cycle would.

The article saying 6+ sales are down.. Thats FUD. With the 6s coming who wouldn't wait?

-------

As to why you got such pushback: A new user comes on and offers a FUD article as evidence Apple may not need to have yearly cycles is sure to get the hackles up of the devout.

Truth is the reaction you received is not friendly because you were labeled troll by the regulars- not my words, it's theirs above. Not a great experience and not as welcoming as they pretend the forum says it is for sure.

If you stuck around you'll find that most everyone here is great, including those above, despite strong reactions when they feel FUD is afoot.

Hope that helps.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Who called him a troll? Am I missing something here?

Here you go right from the horse's mouth - you even cursed LOL - (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun):

"This is a plague on iMore lately...the people who historically would have been called trolls who come on here spouting off about something they don't like but hide the trolling under the veil of "discussion". It's absolute horse sh*t...forgive my language"

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I respect your opinion but I think I'd lose interest if they only released every other year. I upgrade every year just because I want something new & I feel they'll lose a ton of money if they don't release something every year. Many people would grow bored plus with technology evolving as fast as it is, those internal upgrades may be a huge deciding factor in keeping folks from jumping to another platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal