Annual New iPhone?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
For a lot of members here on iMore, their iPhone is not just a smartphone, but a hobby as well, so they start saving for the next iDevice almost as soon as the purchase a new iPhone. That purchase a new iPhone every two years concept is and would be out of the question for many of them....SMILE

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
And damn- what's with all the smart *** sarcastic replies? Jesus, so much for a friendly forum post to discuss ideas. I love Apple, and love a new phone every year, it's great. As stated universe, I just feel like they'll plateau soon and a new release will be near pointless. Just MY OPINION. On MY TOPIC post. So don't get all **** on me, damn.

Um...if you don't want to hear opposing ideas, then why did you bother to pursue the topic? Did you mean for this thread to be an echo chamber? When you said "let me know your thoughts", did you really mean "let me know your thoughts only if they are similar to mine"?

I don't even buy new phones every year--I upgrade on a two-year cycle. Because of that, I recognize that it's smart for Apple to release a new phone every year. That way, regardless of when someone's eligible for upgrade, they will always be able to get an iPhone that is newly released that same year. The iPhone would not be as compelling an option if someone's two-year cycle was such that they would only be able to upgrade during the years when Apple did not release a new iPhone.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
And damn- what's with all the smart *** sarcastic replies? Jesus, so much for a friendly forum post to discuss ideas. I love Apple, and love a new phone every year, it's great. As stated universe, I just feel like they'll plateau soon and a new release will be near pointless. Just MY OPINION. On MY TOPIC post. So don't get all **** on me, damn.

I hope I did not come off that way. I simply liked the questioned and wanted to add my thoughts to the debate. The essence of a great forum. ;). Healthy debate. :)

lightning8888

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I love  and i really like new features but there is a time where companies get so wrapped up in making a dollar they loose sight of quality and push so many devices out that it floods the market. I honestly don't know how Samsung pushes so many devices out and still be profitable. I do see that Apple really cares about the products that they make and of quality and that makes me loyal to the brand. I used to be a Samsung person but not anymore we have had the worst luck with Samsung devices.

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Not at all- love opposing opinions. But when 75% of the replies were sarcastic and talking down to me like I'm some moron that's what upsets me.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I feel, and let me know your thoughts, that Apple has now reached a point where they shouldn't release a new iPhone every fall. I feel like every year should be a large iOS update, and only every other year a new device. I just feel like while technology is advancing quickly, a new iPhone model with only one or two real features changed with added cosmetic only changes isn't necessary.

I love all their phones. But since the 4-4s-5-5s-6- now 6s/7 isn't a whole lot of changes... 4-4s gave a slightly better camera and Siri. 5-5s only gave Touch ID and slightly better camera. And now it's only adding (rumored) force touch. All great improvements, but most good improvements are made with their software updates, and going every two years with a device to add several new features would be better in my opinion.

Just buy one every two years. Your problem is solved. Why worry about what's best for Apple? They pay people to do that.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/17/iphone-6s-sales-decline/

I just see stuff like this and it doesn't surprise me. They are almost plateauing. It'll happen. Maybe not this fall, but it will. It'll reach a point where they won't have anything more than a software update cause they can't do more on a new device

First off.... iPhone sales always decline in the quarter before a new one launches.
Secondly, of course sales will level off. Can't continue to have the kind of astronomical numbers Apple had last year.
Lastly, I don't understand the logic of sakes are declining therefore iPhones should not be released every year. Seems a bit assbackwards if you ask me.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
For a lot of members here on iMore, their iPhone is not just a smartphone, but a hobby as well, so they start saving for the next iDevice almost as soon as the purchase a new iPhone. That purchase a new iPhone every two years concept is and would be out of the question for many of them....SMILE

I would implode.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
First off.... iPhone sales always decline in the quarter before a new one launches.
Secondly, of course sales will level off. Can't continue to have the kind of astronomical numbers Apple had last year.
Lastly, I don't understand the logic of sakes are declining therefore iPhones should not be released every year. Seems a bit assbackwards if you ask me.

And you can BET there will be crazy lines like there are every year! Might not need to campout for 2 weeks this time around, but rest assured there WILL be crazy lines! lol

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

You're on an Apple forum telling a bunch of Apple lovers that their company shouldn't give them something slightly better to spend their money on every year. You had to know this response is what you'd get. Not many people are going to agree with you. People are defensive about their loyalties and major companies have some devoted apologists. Apple could release the same exact phone next month as last month and will still sell hand over fist with effective marketing.

ESatie

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
"Only" added Touch ID? "Only" added a better camera? "Only" adding Force Touch.
These are all big technological advancements and Apple isn't going to sit on them for a whole year after they're ready before launching them. Every model gets a better CPU too which affects everything the phone does.

Most people don't upgrade every year - even now 2 year contracts are going away, they've largely been replaced by 24 month payment plans, so it amounts to the same thing.

Yes, it's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it, but it makes no sense from a business perspective nor from most user's perspective.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You're on an Apple forum telling a bunch of Apple lovers that their company shouldn't give them something slightly better to spend their money on every year. You had to know this response is what you'd get. Not many people are going to agree with you. People are defensive about their loyalties and major companies have some devoted apologists. Apple could release the same exact phone next month as last month and will still sell hand over fist with effective marketing.

Which brings you into the discussion with this gem of wisdom beeeecauzzzzz......

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice