I'm curious why Apple has never adopted an LED notification feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Very true, I understand. There seems to be some hostility around here on the topic. Not sure why but so it goes I guess...

I think you're confusing hostility with the fact everybody is tired of having this same discussion over and over again.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Very true, I understand. There seems to be some hostility around here on the topic. Not sure why but so it goes I guess...

Because it's been discussed multiple times over the years. These threads all end the same. Those pro blinky LED say things like "it's necessary" and "Apple is stuck in the dark ages". Those against it say "we've moved on", "we don't need it". No one EVER changes their position, and eventually the mods lock the threads to stop the hemorrhaging.

This one will end no differently.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Because nothing is more annoying then constantly having an little red light blink at you. Well except for constantly having threads about those little red lights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
You know, considering this is a forum, where conversations are to be had, I wish I never asked the question.
And before anyone jumps, I've been a MOD before, and I know the difficulties of being one. But, on a forum you WILL ALWAYS HAVE REPETITIVE threads, and members who either do search, but don't find what they need, or simply don't search.

I did not search, and it was deliberate to thus have 'fresh' conversation. If a MOD comes along, please feel free to close\delete, etc.
Honestly...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You know, considering this is a forum, where conversations are to be had, I wish I never asked the question.

I also wish this.

And before anyone jumps, I've been a MOD before, and I know the difficulties of being one. But, on a forum you WILL ALWAYS HAVE REPETITIVE threads, and members who either do search, but don't find what they need, or simply don't search.

I did not search, and it was deliberate to thus have 'fresh' conversation. If a MOD comes along, please feel free to close\delete, etc.
Honestly...

You said it yourself...you didn't search. Had you searched, you would have seen probably 30 different threads of this same exact subject across the spectrum of sub-forums on this website.

There's nothing "fresh" about this conversation...its the same, tired conversation it always is. The iPhone doesn't have an LED notification light because only a small niche of people actually clamor on and on about wanting one, and Apple doesn't make design cue decisions based on tiny corners of the consumer base.

Honestly...

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Ivan, good to see you here among us. I enjoy your posts and I think that you make so many valid post. The Blackberry just spoiled us. But I often miss that light. I know Apple won't adopt it but I can see it being useful for some. @ms_vala

iphone5s

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Because it's been discussed multiple times over the years. These threads all end the same. Those pro blinky LED say things like "it's necessary" and "Apple is stuck in the dark ages". Those against it say "we've moved on", "we don't need it". No one EVER changes their position, and eventually the mods lock the threads to stop the hemorrhaging.

This one will end no differently.

I'm not asking for it, simply saying it would be nice. You are very hostile. Sheesh get a life Hank and say good night already....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not asking for it, simply saying it would be nice. You are very hostile. Sheesh get a life Hank and say good night already....

That was not Hank being hostile. He was simply stating facts bluntly. As for Ivan, he's a respected Mobile Nations member whom we all know. To those of you who are new to iMore or to forums in general, please understand that a new thread will not necessary create a new conversation, and you cannot pick and choose who you want a reply from. Guys and gals who've debated this topic over the years will chime in and make reference to the previous gazillion threads just like this one. Do yourself a favor and search for a specific topic. I mean, if you can search and find the iMore forums then you're capable of finding a specific topic therein. Anyway, if all we're left with are posts that will eventually lead to insults, then let's move on, please. Thank you...:)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

It's the dead horse beating syndrome. The issue was discussed at length a long while back. It got heated. No one wants to go back there.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
LOL... sounds like a sensitive topic.

I miss it, yes, but it isn't a deal breaker. I do like the option. I wouldn't want to get a smartwatch to replicate that.

The simple answer to Ivan's question, IMHO, is Apple hasn't implemented it because it hasn't had to. Apple's biggest strength in the consumer space, I think, is the uncanny ability to resist the urge to allow feature creep. Apple seems to be able to figure out when what is needed at just the right time... look at the larger iPhones an the iPad Mini. Timing...

In the end, Katesbb hit it right:

It's not really part of the Apple design paradigm (until it is).

Great discussion. Nothing wrong with re-hashing "old" topics, especially if I can learn. :)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

First of all, I was not being hostile. Second, please don't attempt to lecture me on needing a life. You came into the middle of this thread and called the opinion of someone with which you disagreed "condescending", which is setting yourself up for responses. Clearly you didn't like mine, and attacked me.

If you are going to participate in the forum setting, then you are going to have to learn how to give and take. But at least make an attempt to understand the context of the argument. I and others have stated multiple times that the whole "blinky LED" is a tired old subject around here - it's been rehashed many, many times.

It was not my intention to offend you or anyone else. I still see nothing wrong or untoward in my comments. My advice to you would be to grow some thicker skin and don't take these discussions so seriously.

With these comments, I am done with this thread. As I said, it's an old, tired topic that has been beaten to death over the years. Apple has not put a blinky LED on the iPhone. It's been 8 years now, so it's extremely unlikely that they will. Get over it.

Last edited:

glamrlama

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Great question. Typical answers. These threads never disappoint and always entertain. Ixnay on the issingmay eaturesfay. Please do not try to discuss things that have already been discussed.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you want the red blinky light, get an apple watch.
I did.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Since moving away from BlackBerry I have found that the LED is not something that I need, nor do I want it. My world didn't collapse without it. I haven't missed any important notifications. I haven't gotten fired without it.
What I did find is that I enjoy my dinners, conversations, movies so much more without my Pavlovian response to the stimulus of a blinking LED.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
There's always the old adage that if you've got nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. Tired of seeing this conversation over and over? Scroll on and refrain from responding! It's pretty simple. For some reason, all the negative responses to a VERY simple question/wish list item bothered me. Oh well, moving on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.