Do you all use any third-party keyboards?

Shakell_Goddard

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if you guys use any third party keyboards. Do you keep it stock? Or are you into the third party keyboards?
I personally just started using SwiftKey.

Shakell_Goddard

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Custom Keyboards?

With third party keyboards, Yeah there's little bugs like the little stuttering that can be seen every time you open the keyboard. Otherwise it's better than stock imo.

Last edited:

MDsmartphone

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Custom Keyboards?

I like SwiftKey alot but it still has some bugs. It doesn't always load everytime. Sometimes the stock keyboard pops up. It's annoying. I also wish the keys were a bit bigger as it feels more cramped than the stock keyboard. And lastly it needs microphone support so I can dictate. Guess latter is an apple limitation but it's a big one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No. I tested out a few when they were introduced, but I've since reverted back to the default keyboard. With the exception of an occasional hiccup with the auto-correct feature, the native keyboard is sufficient for my needs.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use SwiftKey as my default keyboard. It's great and has a better memory than the stock keyboard. The options are nice. All 3rd party keyboards cause the messages app to freeze up some. But that bug has gotten better. It doesn't happen near as often as it did before. Try SwiftKey. But give it time to work for you. Use it for a month or so to see if you like it. I like how I can enter just the first 2 characters of my email address and the entire address shows in the middle predictive box. Also you can delete non words by pressing on the non word to delete it from the predictive dictionary of SwiftKey. Like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428323354.269733.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

anon(785719)

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Nope -- the iOS implementation with third party keyboards is terrible.

Having used android some in the past might have ruined this for me. Android was 98700562 times better with 3rd party keyboards.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My problem with the stock keyboard is
1. The low contrast color makes it difficult for me to see and read. Especially the predictive words.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428327297.505253.jpg

2. I have had an issue with email addresses popping up when I don't want them. It's irritating and annoying. I've tried deleting all my shortcuts and starting over with better shortcuts. That didn't work. So I reset the Dictionary Keyboard in Settings. That did not work. The email addresses keep popping up as like auto correct words. SwiftKey does not do that. So SwiftKey it is. And I really like it better.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
About 2 months ago, I think.

It's better now. But you still may not like it. Unless you want a dark theme, there's no reason to switch. It does have some features I like that the stock doesn't have. And I think the memory is better. You can hear type clicks now and it recognizes your shortcuts.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
No. I tried them when iOS 8 was first released. I quickly returned to the stock keyboard for several reasons:

The third party keyboards are buggy and it often reverts back to the stock keyboard

Keyboards like swift key on iOS are limited compared to their android counterparts.

I like the stock iOS keyboard and have no issues using it. The only reason why I used swift key on android is because the stock keyboards are so poor.

The stock iOS keyboard still remains the best keyboard I've ever used on any OS. It's a lot better than swift key on android.

anon(785719)

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
No. I tried them when iOS 8 was first released. I quickly returned to the stock keyboard for several reasons:

The third party keyboards are buggy and it often reverts back to the stock keyboard

Keyboards like swift key on iOS are limited compared to their android counterparts.

I like the stock iOS keyboard and have no issues using it. The only reason why I used swift key on android is because the stock keyboards are so poor.

The stock iOS keyboard still remains the best keyboard I've ever used on any OS. It's a lot better than swift key on android.

Wow this is the first time that I have heard someone say that the iPhone keyboard was the best they have used. Not saying that it's not good or even the best for you -- I just haven't heard this in the past.

I personally like the stock bb 10 keyboard, stock Google keyboard, htc keyboard and swiftkey all better than iOS keyboards. This may actually have to do with the screen size of those devices though. Haven't done a ton of typing on a 6 plus -- so that might change my mind.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I've used Swype for a bit, kind of buggy then tried Swiftkey also. I'm a stick to stock, seem to type more accurate. I wish Google keyboard was available.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6 Plus 

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen