Keep 5S or buy iPhone 6 off contract?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, after giving up on android and thus my htc one M8, I used my upgrade on, I'm now in the tough spot of deciding wether to ride out my 5S for another year (until my att Next upgrade is renewed after paying off the M8) or to pay the 750 dollars for a iPhone 6 64gb. Keep in mind also I'm still stuck making the payments on the M8.

Will the 5S hold up well over the next year as far as performance goes? Or is the 6 worth the extra cost?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd stick with the 5S, it is still a great phone. The only reason I would upgrade over that is if you wanted a larger screen and/or Apple Pay.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd stick with the 5S, it is still a great phone. The only reason I would upgrade over that is if you wanted a larger screen and/or Apple Pay.

Main thing I want is bigger screen. I don't really care about Apple pay right now. Maybe I feel some weird need for the latest thing and an made I used the upgrade on the m8 and didn't like it as much as I thought. Now I gotta pay 600 dollars on something I don't really wanna use anymore.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
So, after giving up on android and thus my htc one M8, I used my upgrade on, I'm now in the tough spot of deciding wether to ride out my 5S for another year (until my att Next upgrade is renewed after paying off the M8) or to pay the 750 dollars for a iPhone 6 64gb. Keep in mind also I'm still stuck making the payments on the M8.

Will the 5S hold up well over the next year as far as performance goes? Or is the 6 worth the extra cost?

I was in the same boat as you are currently in. I used my upgrade at the end of August on a HTC One M8. I have had every iPhone since 2008, but I had a moment of weakness and wanted to try Android.

After a few days I realized that I had made a mistake, returned the HTC and got a 5S. It was a great phone and would have lasted me for the next year and maybe beyond. But I wanted the 6 plus when it was announced and ended up buying it outright. I sold my 5S to pay off my upgrade and had some money left over to use toward the 6+.

It's a tough decision, if you have the extra cash (and can sell the 5S) then upgrade. I'm in love with the bigger screen size. If you can't, the 5S is a great phone and I'm sure you'll be happy with its performance.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I chose 5S ove the 6. iPhone 5S is an amazing device with 99.9% same performance as the iPhone 6 (Except in gaming department, that is). I personally love the design of 5S.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, right now I think I'm more between using the 5S or the M8. I know I said I was done with Android, but using it more there's stuff I do like about it after using the m8 some more. The screen is really great on the m8 and I miss it whenever I pick the 5S back up. Also, it's kinda fun to tinker a bit with it.

However, since I already have a Ipad and Apple TV, it may make since to keep using the 5S instead, especially if I ever get a mac and want continuity. But I also still don't know how I feel about being locked into one hardware maker.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Honestly if you have an extra 750 then whatever but if your gonna have to break the bank to get the latest and greatest it's not worth it. The 5s will get you by just fine until you can comfortably afford the move

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Honestly if you have an extra 750 then whatever but if your gonna have to break the bank to get the latest and greatest it's not worth it. The 5s will get you by just fine until you can comfortably afford the move

Well, honestly I don't have the cash right now. So I guess I'm stuck with either my 5S or M8 until next year.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Right, but I would feel dumb going back to it after I used my upgrade on the m8. Bit if a waste of money. Should have gone for the 6. But I guess maybe now I finally know I like it's more.

Idea.... Sell the m8 and Iphone take the money and buy your new iPhone 😜

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd personally use the 5 over the htc myself but everyone's different

Main thing is the m8s screen. Makes me realize how much I wanted a bigger screen.

Again, I probaly shouldn't beat myself up too much about it. I wanted to try android again, the m8 I thought was the best option, I didn't like android as much as I once did, and I want to use my 5S again. I'll atleast be able to sell the m8 later on and 5S, even if that's a year for now I assume they'll still be worth something.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

"or to pay the 750 dollars for a iPhone 6 64gb" just going by what you said buddy

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Right, but I would feel dumb going back to it after I used my upgrade on the m8. Bit if a waste of money. Should have gone for the 6. But I guess maybe now I finally know I like it's more.

Since June 11 I've had G2, used upgrade on M8, switched during 14 days to the Moto X (2nd gen), then sold the Moto X and purchased a device released a year ago in this silver 5S! I actually feel smarter for ultimately getting to what I want and not being "stuck" with something that my heart wasn't in. In your case being on Next, and not having the cash to spare for a 6, you are kinda stuck...with the M8! It's a great thing to still be using a 5S and feel comfortable that I can use it without issue until my next upgrade date in 2016!

At the end of the day, pick a device that YOU want and go for it. You don't need a co sign from anyone on iMore or AC or any other site. It's YOUR money and a device YOU will be using! Only YOU can prevent forest fires! :D

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I can't just drop 600 dollars right now. That's why I'm trying to decide what to use until I can.

That post alone should tell you you've got other problems besides taking weeks to decide between phones you can't really afford anyways. If you're not trolling, then here's some real advice. Stop worrying about some need to upgrade phones each year. Did you really have some kind of upgrade date & price? No. You went out and financed one at a carrier making monthly payments. You didn't get a discount.

Sell your phone on ebay. Sell the 5S (or not if you don't plan on getting another new one). You get the money for the sale while you STILL HAVE THE PHONES. Then use those proceeds to pay off your phone. Then ship that android phone to the buyer.

One of the best things you can do is open an IRA and contribute to it everytime you start thinking about phones. Pay yourself first. Your future self will thank you.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Since June 11 I've had G2, used upgrade on M8, switched during 14 days to the Moto X (2nd gen), then sold the Moto X and purchased a device released a year ago in this silver 5S! I actually feel smarter for ultimately getting to what I want and not being "stuck" with something that my heart wasn't in. In your case being on Next, and not having the cash to spare for a 6, you are kinda stuck...with the M8! It's a great thing to still be using a 5S and feel comfortable that I can use it without issue until my next upgrade date in 2016!

At the end of the day, pick a device that YOU want and go for it. You don't need a co sign from anyone on iMore or AC or any other site. It's YOURS money and a device YOU will be using! Only YOU can prevent forest fires! :D

Is being stuck with the m8 bad? I mean, I think it's a nice phone. It's still a top performer. It's not like I got a junky Samsung or something