Which of these companies would you use to sell your iPhone to?

jleis985

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I found an article online that talks about best places to sell iPhones. I know this list shows eBay and Craigslist but I am looking for the best site to use where I can be lazy lol, where I don't have to deal with selling it to someone on eBay or meeting in public. I just want something easy with not a lot of work on my part. Apparently I can't post links so I posted the article here.

There's so many companies out there now that do this it's hard to choose. What do you guys think? I have an iPhone 5S for AT&T.

---

If you have an iPhone you most likely will want to sell it if you want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 which we now know will be announced on September 9th. Below are the best options to help you do just that. With the iPhone 6 being announced on September 9th, you may be wondering when you should start looking into selling your old iPhone to help offset the cost of buying the latest and greatest from Apple. Device values drop over time but you have options to help you make the best decision when selling your phone. The list that follows will help you find the best place to sell your iPhone (iPhone 5 prices are shown since most iPhone 5 owners qualify for an upgrade right now).

Sell Your Phone with eBay or Craigslist

eBay:

Payout Amount: $206 ? $470 (asking prices)

Payment Options: PayPal, Check, Money Order, and others

Fastest Payment Option: PayPal or other Electronic Payment Options (Once Buyer Pays)

Price Lock: Not Offered

Reasons to Use: eBay will net you the more money than most other options but requires the most work. You must have an eBay account and hope to have feedback to help entice buyers to purchase from you. In addition to that, you must arrange and pay for shipping with the money you receive from the sale. If using PayPal you will need an account with them as well. eBay charges a listing fee as well as a final value fee which equal to about 10% of the sale price. If you are being paid through PayPal, there will be fees taken out from that as well.

Craigslist: Payout Amount: $221 ? $397 (asking prices)

Payment Options: Cash, Check, Money Order

Fastest Payment Option: Cash, Check, Money Order (Once Buyer Pays)

Price Lock: Not Offered

Reasons to Use: Craigslist will give you the best opportunity to make the most cash and get it in your hand quicker than eBay, all with no fees. Be advised that you must list the item and describe it, as well as arrange a meeting with the buyer to sell it. You will have to deal with many emails from people asking different questions and at times will ask you to adjust your price. When it comes time to actually meet the buyer, be sure to meet in a safe place like a coffee shop or bank to lower your chances of being scammed.

Trade-In Your Phone/ Buy Back Options​

UpgradeSwap:

Payout Amount: $120 ? $260

Payment Options: PayPal, Check

Fastest Payment Option: PayPal (Same Day)

Price Lock: November 3, 2014 (any phone)

Reasons to use: UpgradeSwap is establishing themselves as a top competitor in the recommerce industry by paying out high prices and offerring features that no other company has. One option is their November 3rd Price-Lock Guarantee for payment by check. This is the industry?s longest price-lock and can help make those upgrading feel at ease when the time comes to send in their device. Another unique feature their same-day payment option. They will pay you the same day you list your device if all requirements are met. The same-day payment option doesn?t have a price-lock guarantee so you won?t be able to take advantage of the November 3rd offer. A free shipping box and return label are included with every order placed.

Gazelle:

Payout Amount: $100 ? $195

Payment Options: PayPal, Check, Amazon Gift Card

Fastest Payment Option: PayPal / Amazon Gift Card (Approximately 7 Days)

Price Lock: October 10, 2014 (only for iPhone devices)

Reasons to use: Gazelle has been around for a while and they practically are a household name. Gazelle makes it easy to sell your device and will give you a quote quickly just like the other buy back sites. Gazelle is offering an October 10th Price-Lock Guarantee. You can choose multiple payment options but if you choose PayPal, remember fees will be involved. A free shipping box and return label is included.

uSell:

Payout Amount: $113 ? $201

Payment Options: PayPal, Check

Fastest Payment Option: PayPal (Approximately 7 Days)

Price Lock: Varies by Seller

Reasons to use: uSell, just like Gazelle, has been in business for a while. uSell takes an approach which involves comparing different buy back companies to give you a list to choose from when wanting to sell your device. You can choose to get paid by PayPal or check. PayPal fees will be involved if you choose that payment method. A free shipping box and return label is included.

Nextworth:

Payout Amount: $134 ? $178

Payment Options: PayPal, Check, or Target Gift Card

Fastest Payment Option: Target Gift Card (Same Day In Store)

Price Lock: 30 Days

Reasons to use: Nextworth is another long-standing buy back company that provides a quick way to sell your device but their payouts are the lowest of the bunch on our list. Quotes are valid for 30 days and free shipping and insurance is always included. Target has partnered with Nextworth so you can go into a store and trade-in your device on the spot for a Target gift card.

As you can probably see from this list, there?s plenty of ways for you to sell your old iPhone to offset the cost of buying the new iPhone 6. Some options will net you more money but will involve more work on your part while others make it fast and easy if that?s what you prefer. So what are you waiting for? Get a jump-start on selling your old phone and prepare for the new iPhone 6 when it comes out in late September.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I would use the Market Place forum at iMore, but you don't have the time in or post for that, SO that leaves ebay. I would go ebay given your choices, or one you have not considered called swappa.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What if a prospective buyer wants to meet in public to make sure the device works, the iCloud activation is unlocked before making the purchase, would you not meet the person? If I were the buyer and you refused to meet in person in regard to the above, I would assume you're trying to scam me and would tell everybody I could to not buy from you.

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I always try to sell local before moving onto the internet. It makes the whole process a lot easier.
Having someone see it in person, them okaying, making the transaction, no taxes, no fees. The only downside if flakes and wasting your time on someone that doesn't buy, but I think its worth it. Selling local has always got me a little more money than turning to eBay or Amazon.

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is giving subscribers 200 and 300 for an iPhone 5 and 5s trade in respectively. You can use this to offset the cost of the new device, so in my case, the 6 Plus will cost me $100 plus tax and all that good stuff.
So I'm selling my phone to VZ

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There are no scenarios where I'm lazy enough to essentially throw hundreds of dollars in the garbage with no other thought...and since that is exactly what you're doing when you use one of these trade in companies, I can't answer your question and would highly suggest reconsidering your laziness and just sell it on eBay or Craigslist (or iMore's own marketplace). Sure, you have to take a few minutes out of your day to complete the sale, but you also just made hundreds of dollars for a few minutes of effort. If you're the sort that is too lazy to make that happen, how are you even capable of putting the effort towards posting this thread?

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is giving subscribers 200 and 300 for an iPhone 5 and 5s trade in respectively. You can use this to offset the cost of the new device, so in my case, the 6 Plus will cost me $100 plus tax and all that good stuff.
So I'm selling my phone to VZ

Thanks I thought I heard that on the radio! I'd rather not have someone run with my phone or knock me in the head!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I thought I heard that on the radio! I'd rather not have someone run with my phone or knock me in the head!

This kind of thought process is hilarious to me. If you end up using Craigslist, why on earth would you put yourself in a situation where something like that could happen? I'm a cop, and I stayed armed almost all the time (including anytime I meet someone from CL), and I would STILL never meet someone other than a carrier store or other 100% safe and secure location.

And then you still have eBay, which may take a service charge from the selling price, but basically eliminates any interaction between you and the buyer, lol!

People! Stop throwing money away! Especially to your carrier! They're double dipping in that regard!

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I was preggers last concealed carry or I would be too. 😊 I would totally meet someone in public for sure but I don't want to hang over my phone and someone take off! And maybe in your jurisdiction someone won't knock someone in the head in public. There are a bunch of nut jobs on CL and I don't even go on anymore.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have used Gazelle without issue, and that's what I'll do this time as well. I might "lose money" as some say, but it's been smooth and issue free and to me that's worth it.

RollTideFanGrl

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Gazelle was only giving me $140.00. I just placed an order for Iphone 6 64 GB with Sprint and they are giving me 351.00 for my Iphone 5s 16GB. Sprint was the best one out of 3 companies I checked to sell my phone. Great thing about Sprint I have until 45 days to turn my phone in.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I used Amazon to sell my last two BlackBerry phones, one iPhone 4s and an iPod, two Sirius radios, and a GPS unit. Everything went smoothly all times, and the fee is low. I shop on Amazon, so setting up a seller account was easy. I also slog a $1200 Guitar through Amazon with no issues. I just make sure I state where I'm willing to ship to.

I got sick of FleaBay fees and scammers. I use Craigslist to sell large items like my kayak or a couch.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I always use amazon. Required signature service and shipping insurance usually keep you free from scams or sketchy behavior.

I used craigslist for selling my 6+ and I hated every minute of it. I don't trust people for the most part and everyone looks like a criminal when it comes to my money :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77