Pros/cons of purchasing my next iPhone off contract

hooplvr

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Thinking about purchasing my next iPhone off contract and paying full price for the phone. I know this will give me the freedom of not being on a contract, but other than that is anyone aware of other advantages, or disadvantages, to purchasing the phone outright upfront?

Thx!

Sent from my White/Silver iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Only negative I see would be paying more out of pocket for no contract. However if you're like me, selling your old phone can cover a good 60-70% of the cost of a new phone. After selling your old phone, your out of pocket cost will probably be close to the subsidized price of the phone you get on contract. So really I think buying the phone outright is better.

jleis985

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
If you have AT&T and are on a Family Shared Data plan then you wouldn't get your bill increased $25 per line. The fine print for AT&T's shared data is sneaky, they give you a great deal on the plan and then if you use a 2 year upgrade to get a discounted price on a new phone, they raise each line $25 more...it happened to me.

That'd be a big benefit of buying off-contract in my mind.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The benefit with AT&T is that you have a smaller bill. I like paying for my devices outright because I don't like having a contract. I would love to have unlocked phones so I can go to other gsm carriers if I want.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The benefit with AT&T is that you have a smaller bill. I like paying for my devices outright because I don't like having a contract. I would love to have unlocked phones so I can go to other gsm carriers if I want.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Same with Verizon. I always buy off contract & as much as I use my phone it pays for itself.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
If you have AT&T and are on a Family Shared Data plan then you wouldn't get your bill increased $25 per line. The fine print for AT&T's shared data is sneaky, they give you a great deal on the plan and then if you use a 2 year upgrade to get a discounted price on a new phone, they raise each line $25 more...it happened to me.

That'd be a big benefit of buying off-contract in my mind.

Wow, I've never heard this before. That definitely is sneaky. So if one line uses an upgrade then all lines get increased? For how long?

I'm actually on a VZW family plan, I wonder if it's the same? Definitely need to look into this now.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2