How Hot Does Your iPhone Get?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In the news recently was a story about a smartphone that overheated and burnt a pillow and bedding. I think the phone had been placed under the pillow. Here's the pic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406566274.115054.jpg

The iPhone will show this warning if it gets too hot. But it won't be seen under a pillow. Does your phone ever get super hot?
This is the warning the iPhone shows:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406566467.234089.jpg

AlexJ92

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I have never seen the temperature warning sign on my iPhone 5S but back when I had my iphone 3G yes I saw it once while I was on holiday by the pool

Sent from my iPhone 5S

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I see that screen constantly on other peoples phones when out by the pool. I usually try to keep my phone in a cool environment if I know it's a little hot outside for it's liking. However, in daily use my phone can get pretty warm if I'm charging it and doing something at the same time, which is a bit worrisome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5, 99% of the time, stays at room temperature, but on occasion, especially when connected to the USB port in my car, it gets warm to not quite hot.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I see that screen constantly on other peoples phones when out by the pool. I usually try to keep my phone in a cool environment if I know it's a little hot outside for it's liking. However, in daily use my phone can get pretty warm if I'm charging it and doing something at the same time, which is a bit worrisome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use mine while charging as well. But I don't notice the heat much with it in an Otterbox Defender case. But I don't do anything intense like games or videos.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I use mine while charging as well. But I don't notice the heat much with it in an Otterbox Defender case. But I don't do anything intense like games or videos.

Even if I can't feel it.. Knowing that my poor iPhone is hot, I usually quit using it to let it cool down.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My iPhone 5, 99% of the time, stays at room temperature, but on occasion, especially when connected to the USB port in my car, it gets warm to not quite hot.

Same here. My 5s stays at room temp unless I use a car charger and then it only gets luke warm. I've never had "cool down" warning.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
As above mine gets warm when plug in and using the GPS, this is one of the main reasons I use a vent holder so the A/C is blowing on the phone when in the car and it's hot out.

billyboydoy

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In the news recently was a story about a smartphone that overheated and burnt a pillow and bedding. I think the phone had been placed under the pillow. Here's the pic.
View attachment 61686

The iPhone will show this warning if it gets too hot. But it won't be seen under a pillow. Does your phone ever get super hot?
This is the warning the iPhone shows:
View attachment 61687

This is mainly samsung galaxy s4 mini and that's what happen to Samsung without a warning .
And in this particular case the owner is just a 13 years old girl.
Can't imagine how careless are samsung as a company .

veritas_vincit

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't get "hot", even after continuos use or charging. Just a little warm though, which is completely normal.

Sent from my iOS device using iMore Forums

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets warm if I'm pushing it to connect to the internet while on the Metro. If it constantly searches for a signal it gets warm but I wouldn't say hot.

And oh I'm guilty of going to sleep with my phone on the bed. I know I shouldn't but sometimes I fall asleep reading the forums.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine gets warm if I'm pushing it to connect to the internet while on the Metro. If it constantly searches for a signal it gets warm but I wouldn't say hot.

And oh I'm guilty of going to sleep with my phone on the bed. I know I shouldn't but sometimes I fall asleep reading the forums.
I always sleep with my phone beside me on the bed. But it's not under my pillow. My hearing is bad, so I need my phone close in case of emergencies. I use DND, so anything I got at 3:00 am would be an emergency. Lightning struck a tree and my daughter's house burnt to the ground. It was the night before the 4th of July and they were not home. The call came at 3:00 am. That was 12 years ago. But I still keep my phone beside me.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup that's the thing. My whole family is scattered to the four winds so my phone is my lifeline. So it's always with me.

Sent from my beautiful Gold 64G iPhone 5s using the iMore Forums app

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This is mainly samsung galaxy s4 mini and that's what happen to Samsung without a warning .
And in this particular case the owner is just a 13 years old girl.
Can't imagine how careless are samsung as a company .

I think it's just a freak thing that happened. I wouldn't place blame on Samsung at all.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711