Having some SERIOUS problems setting up my iPhone 5

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Bought an iPhone 5 and so far, it hasn't been going well at all. The phone sets up fine. My SIM works. I get data, I can receive text messages, I can take and make calls, but iMessage just is not working for me. When I go into the Phone category of the settings it says that my number is unknown, and in the Phone app it won't let me check my voicemail. Under the iMessage category my iCloud account is setup and says me email is set to send and receive, but then at the top it says that it is waiting for verification which I did. It might be worth noting that I created an Apple ID for the first time here, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the heck is going on. I appreciate all answers in advance.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Bought an iPhone 5 and so far, it hasn't been going well at all. The phone sets up fine. My SIM works. I get data, I can receive text messages, I can take and make calls, but iMessage just is not working for me. When I go into the Phone category of the settings it says that my number is unknown, and in the Phone app it won't let me check my voicemail. Under the iMessage category my iCloud account is setup and says me email is set to send and receive, but then at the top it says that it is waiting for verification which I did. It might be worth noting that I created an Apple ID for the first time here, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the heck is going on. I appreciate all answers in advance.

You may want to try restoring your phone. By going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Content and Settings. This will delete everything from your phone, and you'll have to set it up like it's coming out of the box, but I'm thinking it will resolve your problem.

If not, I'd advice taking it to your problem. As iMessage is a key part of the iPhone. It's a selling point!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You may want to try restoring your phone. By going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Content and Settings. This will delete everything from your phone, and you'll have to set it up like it's coming out of the box, but I'm thinking it will resolve your problem.

If not, I'd advice taking it to your problem. As iMessage is a key part of the iPhone. It's a selling point!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought that might solve my problem as well, but I tried that after a bit and no luck. I don't think it's my SIM because I was just using my Lumia 928 without a problem

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Please note that Apple was experiencing problem with iCloud services earlier and there may still be some unresolved issues. I recommend that you wait until tomorrow to see if it clears up. Still, you can try going to Setting - General - Reset and then select "Reset Network Settings" to see if that'll help. Just be sure to write down your Wi-Fi passcode because you will need to re-enter it after the network settings has been reset.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Please note that Apple was experiencing problem with iCloud services earlier and there may still be some unresolved issues. I recommend that you wait until tomorrow to see if it clears up. Still, you can try going to Setting - General - Reset and then select "Reset Network Settings" to see if that'll help. Just be sure to write down your Wi-Fi passcode because you will need to re-enter it after the network settings has been reset.

Oh I didn't know that! Thanks. However, would that affect the phone at all, such as me not being able to check my voicemail and it showing "Unknown" as my phone number?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh I didn't know that! Thanks.
You're very welcome.
However, would that affect the phone at all, such as me not being able to check my voicemail and it showing "Unknown" as my phone number?
I doubt it. I'd like to think that's more of a wireless carrier issue. If you're on VZW, there were reported problems regarding its network earlier as well.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're very welcome. I doubt it. I'd like to think that's more of a wireless carrier issue. If you're on VZW, there were reported problems regarding its network earlier as well.

Interesting...I am on Verizon. I really hope it's just temporary things and I really hope I can get this figured out so I can actually use my iPhone

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Login to Manage Your Apple ID and then double-check the verification of your email address. If it is not verified, it should ask you to send or confirm your address (I can't remember which).

It is verified. However, I went to Verizon, and they said that it's due to the device still registered to the previous owner and that's why the messaging and phone # is all screwed up because the device is connected to the network and everything. Hopefully that'll fix it

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is verified. However, I went to Verizon, and they said that it's due to the device still registered to the previous owner and that's why the messaging and phone # is all screwed up because the device is connected to the network and everything. Hopefully that'll fix it
Thanks for the update and I, too, hope the problem will be remedied soon. Take care and have a great weekend...:)

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Still no luck! I'm at a complete loss here. Here are 2 screenshots: The first shows the Phone options in the setting where it says my number is unknown. The second shows that my ID is waiting to be activated (which it is). This all has to be connected to iMessage somehow. I even tried creating a new AppleID with an @icloud.com email and still nothing.
20140725_234527000_iOS.png 20140725_234532000_iOS.png

EDIT: I've read that you can edit the number yourself, but can't figure out how. If anyone can tell me that much, then I should honestly be fine.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Still no luck! I'm at a complete loss here. Here are 2 screenshots: The first shows the Phone options in the setting where it says my number is unknown. The second shows that my ID is waiting to be activated (which it is). This all has to be connected to iMessage somehow. I even tried creating a new AppleID with an @icloud.com email and still nothing.
View attachment 61497 View attachment 61498

EDIT: I've read that you can edit the number yourself, but can't figure out how. If anyone can tell me that much, then I should honestly be fine.
Try this I found. It worked for someone else.

1. Turn on Airplane Mode - You will notice that you can not access your phone settings while airplane mode is on.
2. Turn off Airplane Mode and Immediately go to your phone settings and click on the unknown number tab and you will be able to manually enter your number. After this you should also get a message from imessage saying that you might be charged some amout or something like that. Say okay and you are all set to go. Hopefully this helps for regular messaging also.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try this I found. It worked for someone else.

1. Turn on Airplane Mode - You will notice that you can not access your phone settings while airplane mode is on.
2. Turn off Airplane Mode and Immediately go to your phone settings and click on the unknown number tab and you will be able to manually enter your number. After this you should also get a message from imessage saying that you might be charged some amout or something like that. Say okay and you are all set to go. Hopefully this helps for regular messaging also.

Hm didn't work. Won't let me edit my number. Man, I seem to be having the worst time with this!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If it's still registered in someone else's name, there's not much you can do. You can try and restore to factory settings and start over. But even that may not work. Worth a try. There's no other option.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's still registered in someone else's name, there's not much you can do. You can try and restore to factory settings and start over. But even that may not work. Worth a try. There's no other option.

I talked to the previous owner and he unregistered it on Support Profiles. Is there anywhere else he could/should?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I talked to the previous owner and he unregistered it on Support Profiles. Is there anywhere else he could/should?

If that's the official Apple place to do it, I guess not. Ask Apple that. Does that make everything work now? You can set it up with your Apple ID in iTunes, iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If that's the official Apple place to do it, I guess not. Ask Apple that. Does that make everything work now? You can set it up with your Apple ID in iTunes, iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime?

Even after he did that it still doesn't work, that's why I'm wondering what else he can do. I'll have to contact Apple about it I guess

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73