Can anyone tell me the best way to free space in my iCloud?

bazn

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Please can any one tell me the best way to free space in my iCloud ? Thank you any information on this subject will be gratefully received thank u guys

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Delete old backups. Turn off apps that don't need to be backed up.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Please can any one tell me the best way to free space in my iCloud ? Thank you any information on this subject will be gratefully received thank u guys

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Another good way to free up iCloud storage is to keep your Photo Stream from filling up with too many pictures. The same goes for if you have lots of Pages, Numbers, or Keynote documents stored in iCloud. If you don't have any use for them, delete them, that should free up a little space at least :)

bazn

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
How do you stop your photos from filling up in iCloud by only taking a few??? Or deleting them ???

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums ( baz ) UK

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
How do you stop your photos from filling up in iCloud by only taking a few??? Or deleting them ???

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums ( baz ) UK

I know this is an old thread so I'm hoping you found a solution. :)

If not, here are some things I did to free up space:

(FYI: I don't use photostream, iphotos, etc. so these are workarounds.)

Turn off Camera Roll backups in iCloud. You can manually backup and restore photos and videos on your camera roll through iTunes on your computer.

Turn off backups for every app (we don't need them backed up because you can re-download apps from the iTunes "purchased" section.). If you have apps that store documents or maybe game points you may want to keep those on since maybe game progress isn't saved in game center, etc., in the event of a full restore as new. Not a huge gamer except for Clumsy Ninja or Disco Bees, so I'm not really sure about this. ;)

If you use a mac: Save all or some photos and video to your computer using image capture. You can delete the photos off your phone if you just want to keep them on your computer.

Use another cloud-type service like Dropbox (it's awesome and also pretty handy for things besides photos, like documents! See link below.) and enable/allow the camera roll to be saved to your Dropbox account. You can access the photos from your phone or go to your account on your computer.

Don't have a Dropbox account yet?
Get your FREE account here: http://redirect.tinyurl.com/api/cli...ee8dd3aa6462a0a560460395&opt=false&format=txt

And finally: Our biggest iCloud hogs were our text messages. Specifically MMS messages with all those photos and videos. These attachments are apparently backed up in iCloud even though they are not restored to your phone via iCloud when setting up as a new device, etc.
My husband never wanted to delete his ancient text threads and his iCloud ran out of space.
Finally convinced him to delete all text convos, then backed up on iTunes (so the new backup would not contain the messages in the event we had to do a restore). Last step was to delete the existing iCloud backup and plug the phone in, ensure wifi was available and then hit "back up now".

Plenty of iCloud space now!

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited: