Have You Ever Returned An iDevice from Not Working And How Many Times?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have heard so many times in the forums that a number of people have had to return their device be it phone, iPad or other iDvice because something was wrong, it was not working right or something they did not like about it. What about you? has that ever happened and what was it/ How many times before you got a device you were happy with?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
To be honest of the 3 iPhones and 2iPads I have had or own now - 1 5S and an ipad Mini Retina and 2 iPods i have never taken anything back yet or unhappy with any of them.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
When the original Palm Pre- came out many people complained of quality issues and rumors of 8 to 10 returns till they got one that works always made me laugh some people look for issues some valet most not

I kept my original for 8 months till I updated and both my iPhone 5 and 5s have been flawless. Hey maybe I'm just lucky

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

johnboysupergolf

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I had to take an ipad 3 back last year with a volume button problem. I was completely blown away with the whole process and how I was treated by apple. I left the shop in after ten minutes with a brand new ipad 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I have had a lot of iDevices but never had one that was flawed or didn't work. Either I've been very lucky or Apple is into quality control.

via the phone 📲

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My first iPhone 5s had to be returned due to a dead pixel. It was no big deal and they swapped it out on the spot.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My first iPhone 5s had to be returned due to a dead pixel. It was no big deal and they swapped it out on the spot.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

Wow, that's the first I've heard of a dead pixel on an iOS device. Glad they took care of it for you.

via the phone 📲

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Just once. I returned my iPad 2 64Gb 3G to the Apple store and got an exact replacement when the SIM card failed to be read. All the usual fixes (airplane mode, turn off/on, factory reset, remove, clean and reseat sim) didn't work.

The guy at the genius bar tried a few things, agreed it was borked, checked the serial against their database and promptly just gave me an identical brand new one sealed in a box.

Incredibly good customer service to be honest. I was in and out in less than fifteen minutes.

Last edited:

donemt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I had to return my 5s to the Apple Store for an exchange due to the battery draining and heating. The Apple tech was great and my new iPhone is working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

GusHerb94

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
My 5 I bought used last June in mint condition developed a dead pixel just two weeks after receiving it. Apple replaced the screen.
A month later the screen developed a dead pixel again and the lock button wasn't level and starting to become intermittent. They replaced the phone that time and it's been ok ever since.

Outside of that, I've had an iPhone 3G, 4, a 2010 MacBook Pro, and iPad Air that were/are all fine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As of this date, I have never had to return an Apple Product due to it not working....:)

sinfool

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I had a few issues with an original iPhone5 purchased within first 2 weeks of release.

First off, straight out of the box it had obvious scratches along the bezel (which apparently many people experienced.) More importantly, I had a a weird issue where white boxes would appear at the top of the screen (near notification center) and the phone subsequently would become unresponsive/laggy. After numerous fresh restore etc, I was luckily guided to an apple support thread of others with the same exact problem and supposedly it was due to a loose cable. ATM I felt relieved it wasn't hardware related.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4361737?start=0&tstart=0

So, I went to Apple but because I couldn't replicate the issue on command, they said bring it back if it happened again. I left it at that.

About a year went by before the problem became unbearable. I went back to the Apple store, and again...I couldn't replicate the issue. However, this time I recorded the problem with another device and informed them of the above thread. They told me that I was outside of my warranty (by a week) but the Genius Bar guys would open it up and take a look if the connections are loose. Ten minutes later he came back and said they couldn't replicate the issue & everything seemed fine inside.

Reluctantly, I started to leave and while examining/squeezing the phone....BAM, the white boxes appear. I immediately turned around and showed the same employee. He confirmed the issue but because I was a week over the warranty period, he said that all he could do was record the problem in the system and I could order/buy a new screen replacement for $150. At this point, while the guy is talking, I realized manipulating/squeezing the screen at the top would cause the white boxes to appear. In my mind, this only helped prove that their must be some type of a loose connection inside. The guy repeated there was nothing else he could do because when I first brought it back, the guy who originally said to bring it back never officially made a report in the system. Needless to say, I stormed out of there ready to throw the phone at the wall.

Long story short, I've since gave the phone to a family member but beforehand, I did a lot of squeezing and twisting motions near the top of the phone. Almost 6 months later and she said the problem hasn't happened again since. TBH, I doubt the Genius Bar guys ever opened it up to check for loose connections.

So bottom line, ....although I love Apple products (I currently own an iPad3, iPad mini2, (2) iPhone 5's, iPhone 4, & iPods etc.), this entire experience left a horrible taste in my mouth.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Never had a problem with any iDevice. Also, consider myself lucky. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums