Apple and customizability

ces_garc94

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious as to how many of you iDevice users want apple to implement the ability to customize like Android. Or rather are some of you indifferent about this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After having used Android devices, I can say that Android devices can be guilty of having too many settings which, in turn, can cause a user to spend too much time customizing and not enough time appreciating the device he or she has.

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
As an Android user as well as an iPhone user, I find it how flexible I myself can be when it comes to customizability.

I love customizing my Android, the ringtones, icons, wallpapers and many other settings.
But when I use my iPhone, I'm happy with the default settings. That sounds weird, but it's true

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious as to how many of you iDevice users want apple to implement the ability to customize like Android. Or rather are some of you indifferent about this?
The third option that you left out is "do users NOT want Apple to implement the ability to customize like Android. This is completely different from being "indifferent about this".

If we are voting, this would be my vote.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Content with my iDevices as they are, they work, no question. Knew when I purchased my first iPhone. No regrets.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like that Apple leaves you just enough customizability in iOS and yet does not give you bothersome features that are irrelevant to how your experience can be improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's funny, I am a former Android Central ambassador and would always customize the plethora of Android phones I've had...because I HAD to make them tolerable (I am no fan of android in the raw). With iOS I have no such requirement. I, of course, tried jailbreaking my 4 iBabies but have since come back to the notion that it's not needed. iOS is beautiful, useful, smart, and fine with the stock customizations. I love Apple for this.

4 of IV

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I've never fully understood how people hold that as an argument against Apple devices to be honest. If i want to customise my iPhone experience I personally feel like I totally can. If I want a different ringtone, a song playing as a ringtone or whatever, I can. Hell every contact can have its own ringtone. If I want my homescreen to look different I can relocate the apps and hide them in folders to get a clean homescreen. If I change the wallpaper (esp now in iOS7) it's not just the wallpaper that changes, but the entire phone interface looks new. Bottom line is if I WANT I can make my iPhone look/sound very unique (without jailbraking it) contrary to what most critics claim. To me this is one of the standard phrases people just use to bash Apple without having to do a lot of thinking. I wonder, can anyone suggest a part of my phone I would really want to customise but right now can't on an Apple device? And please don't say widgets, thanks :cool:

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I've never fully understood how people hold that as an argument against Apple devices to be honest. If i want to customise my iPhone experience I personally feel like I totally can. If I want a different ringtone, a song playing as a ringtone or whatever, I can. Hell every contact can have its own ringtone. If I want my homescreen to look different I can relocate the apps and hide them in folders to get a clean homescreen. If I change the wallpaper (esp now in iOS7) it's not just the wallpaper that changes, but the entire phone interface looks new. Bottom line is if I WANT I can make my iPhone look/sound very unique (without jailbraking it) contrary to what most critics claim. To me this is one of the standard phrases people just use to bash Apple without having to do a lot of thinking. I wonder, can anyone suggest a part of my phone I would really want to customise but right now can't on an Apple device? And please don't say widgets, thanks :cool:

The android experience is different with different launchers, keyboards, ROMS, etc. I think those that bash Apple are 'Droiders who want the same options for customization that they need in Android.

4 of IV

Last edited:

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've spent plenty of time over the years tweaking and customizing devices. iPhone works out of the box. I don't have a need or want to waste time customizing.

ces_garc94

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
All good inputs and comments from everyone! Personally, I don't feel the need to have to customize my iphone, it's simplicity is fine with me😀

I like 🐢🐢

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
As an Android user as well as an iPhone user, I find it how flexible I myself can be when it comes to customizability.

I love customizing my Android, the ringtones, icons, wallpapers and many other settings.
But when I use my iPhone, I'm happy with the default settings. That sounds weird, but it's true

EXACTLY this^^^...SMILE (5s and Note3)

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I was a huge fan of customization when I had my droid. But I hated the OS compared to iOS so I switched back to iPhone and I'm loving it. iOS 7 is a bit better for color customization, but android was much better for this, I do hope apple implements something towards helping us make our iPhones more unique! But I am really happy with how my phone looks and feels. If they never implemented anything, It wouldn't matter all that much to me.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s 

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am generally indifferent, I've spent hours upon hours tinkering with other OSs in the past, this one I have not really felt the need to tinker.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I am generally indifferent, I've spent hours upon hours tinkering with other OSs in the past, this one I have not really felt the need to tinker.

I can see that. I can also see how those that have taken a liking to tinkering could get frustrated by iOS' lack of tinkerability. It's better with jailbreaking but not the same as with Android. I've been around the android block A LOT and it just got tired to me. I love how fluid iOS is and I love the quality of the apps. I love the way the iPhone or iPad disappears into the background and they BECOME whatever app I'm using. In example, if you use a calculator or level on the iPhone the iPhone BECOMES a calculator or level, not a phone running a calculator or level program. That is what I truly truly appreciate about my iGadgets.

via the tablet

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it's weird at all...I feel the same way!! I customized the heck out of my Android phones but I'm pretty cool with the iPhones defaults.

That being said, I think options are good because it opens up the market to people that wouldn't have considered an iPhone.

Mary_Young

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's weird at all...I feel the same way!! I customized the heck out of my Android phones but I'm pretty cool with the iPhones defaults.

That being said, I think options are good because it opens up the market to people that wouldn't have considered an iPhone.

Can't agree more! When I was buying a mobile for my sister, she refused iPhone, saying it's not unique enough.

PowerGuard (security, privacy and so much more)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The term "Locked down" always bothers me. To me, there's nothing "Locked down" about the iPhone...pretty much everything a normal person wants to customize is available TO customize on the iPhone (and iPad, and iPod for that matter). Ringtones, text tones, wallpapers...I mean in terms of personalizations, it's all there on the iPhone in a native state, and those basic customizations are what the bulk of your consumers care about (IF that).

You know who gripes, complains and clamors on and on about deep customization? A small niche of consumer who just happen to be the same people who frequent online communities, blog sites and tend to be the loudest mouths of the bunch. I actually consider many of us here as "those" people as well...but we so often forget that we don't represent the majority at all. What we view as customization is this really in depth, all encompassing free for all that just isn't relevant in the normal market.

And this isn't even taking into consideration the ability to jailbreak iDevices, which essentially gives you the ability to do whatever you want to your iPhone or iPad/iPod if you have the understanding of how to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2