Long time Android user thinking about switching to iOS

Love Divine

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a few questions. I'm sure it'll be a transition, but I think I can get used to it. I'll probably jump in with the iPhone 6. These questions are preferably for iPhone 5/5s users.

1) How much battery life can you get out of your phone? What do you measure it with? Is there anything like "screen-on time" that Android devices use? How does "usage time" compare to that?
2) How long does it take to charge? Starting this Summer, Android devices got Qualcomm's quick charge, which lead to crazy fast charging times compared to previous.
3) Has anybody gone from being a longtime Android user to iOS? What did you like about iOS? What didn't you like about it when you first switched?
4) How's the signal strength? Do you have problems maintaining a signal?

The third question is particularly important... Thanks, and if I think of more I'll add them later.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
1) I get a full day of web surfing, answering emails, iMessages/SMSs, music. I still keep a charger at work for topping it off, for the commute home. No stock screen on-time measurement. Just go by feel and perception. 5s has way better battery life than my 4S did. Of course, that phone was also two years old.

2) About 40 minutes on the standard 5W charger, less time on the 10W iPad charger. Normally, though, the faster the charge, the less time it holds.

3) I was excited about Android when it was first introduced, and even owned the T-Mobile G1 for a while. I've tried countless Android devices - but already return them and reactivate my iPhone. Love the ease of use, and the fact most of my content is already in the Apple ecosystem. Once the iPad came out in 2010, I haven't used a single Android phone. I like trying gadgets, and it becomes expensive and time consuming to keep switching. My advice is to pick an ecosystem and stick with it. I want something to work, have the best and highest quality apps, and be easy to update...so iOS makes the most sense to me.

4) Signal's fine for me. YMMV, depending on carrier and location. Hard to assess over all.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
1. I never have battery issues, but I charge my phone while I drive.
2. Unknown because of (1).
3. I nip back and forth. I've had a Nexus S and an HTC Amaze. I like installing lots of apps, and so I'd clog up my Android phones and kill battery life. So Apple's stricter OS in terms of app access, etc., works better for me. My friends with more self-discipline prefer Android (Galaxy S4, etc.) because of Tasker. I like iOS's consistency. I initially hated how it required me either to sync to my computer or not be able to load my own mp3s. But with iCloud for backups and the Google Play Music app for my own uploads, it works for me well enough now.
4. No issues whatsoever, but I live in a heavily covered area. There's a way to put it into diagnostic mode so that you get numbers for signal strength instead of bars... Ah, it's *3001#12345#* Some people claim to have gotten worse strength than with Android phones from the same towers. Your mileage may vary.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a few questions. I'm sure it'll be a transition, but I think I can get used to it. I'll probably jump in with the iPhone 6. These questions are preferably for iPhone 5/5s users.

1) How much battery life can you get out of your phone? What do you measure it with? Is there anything like "screen-on time" that Android devices use? How does "usage time" compare to that?
2) How long does it take to charge? Starting this Summer, Android devices got Qualcomm's quick charge, which lead to crazy fast charging times compared to previous.
3) Has anybody gone from being a longtime Android user to iOS? What did you like about iOS? What didn't you like about it when you first switched?

The third question is particularly important... Thanks, and if I think of more I'll add them later.

1) Full day of usage. About 15 hours honestly. My usage is moderate generally. While yes, my Note 3 gets a little longer battery life, it's not honestly as big of a difference as I thought it would be.

2) Around the same speed. I'd say they are called "Lightening" plugs for a good reason.

3) I got my first two iPhones in the past three months. First the 5c, then the 5s. I'd had android for years, figured I'd try something new. I really like the ease of jail breaking. It's practically just as customizable as an Android. I don't like stock iOS. It's been fun, it's worth the experience. The keyboard is a lot to adjust to after being used to Swype.

4) Signal is way better than all my Androids. It's really amazing how long my iPhones hold onto a signal in places my Androids wouldn't. For me, that was the biggest plus.

Try it. It's really a good enriching experience to try all OS's. =]

Sent from my something or another on Tapatalk.

Love Divine

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Why don't you like stock iOS? I probably won't have time to Jailbreak or fiddle with the phone too much, period.

What was the biggest change getting used to iOS coming from Android?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)

Like with anything else, the biggest change is getting used to doing things differently. That's all. However, after a few hours, you have be used to it and start to realize how easy to use the iPhone is. There will be things you will miss, but it'll subside.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Why don't you like stock iOS? I probably won't have time to Jailbreak or fiddle with the phone too much, period.

If you are good with an Android, don't worry, you'll have no problems with an iPhone.

Sent from my white 5s

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

No Swype or file manager.

I'm the type who has to fiddle with my devices. The phone is super solid though and you've got a premium experience with it. You'll like it if you enjoy new things and the joys that come with them. ^_^

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have owned many Android devices and none of them have had the battery life that my iPhone 5S gets. And that includes the Note 3. I think it has a lot to do with how much standby time you can get on the iPhone. With Android devices, there are always things working in the background which drains the battery. With the iPhone, not so much. Because the battery is about half the size of some of the larger Android devices, it takes less time to charge. If I use my iPad charger, it takes about 30 minutes to charge to 100 percent. I used to flip flop from iOS to Android all the time. But I think that I have settled on iOS now. I just like it better. It seems to work well with what I want to do with my devices. The apps are better, there are more accessories for your devices, and the performance is unreal.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

applelex

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

You get about ten hours of battery life like Apple says of your doing things like web surfing, checking email and watching videos at normal usage, but it depends on how much you use your phone and how processor intensive the app your using is.

It takes about 45min to an hour and 15 min to fully charge from about 20 percent.

I have been a long time android user and switched to iOS and what I liked about it was how the App Store had a much wider variety of apps and games, the simplicity and ease of use that the phone offers. But what I didn't like was the lack of customization and lack of certain features I've come a custom to on android. No font change, no quick reply, no widgets, and no theme changing.. Like I said its simple.

And the signal strength is fairly strong it also depends on the carrier you choose and how well that particular carrier covers the area your in but if your area is covered well by your carrier there should be no issues at all connecting with a strong signal.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I echo many of the others' sentiments, but I just wanted add to this:

Android is great when it works flawlessly but most of the time there will be some nagging flaws appearing more often than not. There are many things you could point out, lag, app crashing, SIM card disconnecting, or God forbid, viruses. This is because, while Android is far more open and customizable, it leaves itself a lot of doors for fragmentation, security loopholes etc to rear their ugly heads.

This is why no matter how I liked my Android devices they never receive the same reverie and love I have for my iOS devices.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

There's nothing wrong with the stock iOS. I used to like to tweak and play around with my devices, but not anymore. Since I've owned my iPhone I don't mess with it. It runs perfectly. Smooth and it works.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I echo many of the others' sentiments, but I just wanted add to this:

Android is great when it works flawlessly but most of the time there will be some nagging flaws appearing more often than not. There are many things you could point out, lag, app crashing, SIM card disconnecting, or God forbid, viruses. This is because, while Android is far more open and customizable, it leaves itself a lot of doors for fragmentation, security loopholes etc to rear their ugly heads.

This is why no matter how I liked my Android devices they never receive the same reverie and love I have for my iOS devices.

You apparently don't know what "fragmentation" means in regards to Android.

Sent from my white 5s

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I've used a lot of Android devices as well. As long as you're patient and don't expect the iPhone to work just like an android phone I think you'll really love the app ecosystem and overall "polish" iOS and her devices offer. My 5s' both get good battery life and seem to charge rapidly but I'm admittedly not as sensitive to that since I have 2 phones and just switch when the battery dies on one. There are also a lot of battery cases for iPhone too, so you can also consider that as an option as well.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

cinematicme

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

1. Usually a full day of heavy use without fully draining the battery. Like 6:40am to about 9:30pm at night on a single charge with Bluetooth accessories (pebble and Jabra Clear)

2. I can charge for 0-100% in about 30-45min roughly

3. Haven't switch from android so I can't really comment , all I own are apple products.

4. Signal strength hasn't ever been a problem on my 4, 4S, 5 or 5S. Now if I drive through a tunnel or go in to the bowels of my workplace I hit no signal, but it's all phones no just my 5S.

Just be careful switching, manage your purchases and don't buy anything unless you really love it. A lot of the apps I have are paid, so I'm essentially stuck with apple unless I want to throw out the investments.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393793356.695947.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Just be careful switching, manage your purchases and don't buy anything unless you really love it. A lot of the apps I have are paid, so I'm essentially stuck with apple unless I want to throw out the investments.

To that end, I agree. I also generally like to pay for an app upfront to avoid distracting ads. I find the quality of the experience higher, and usually support for future upgrades is more robust.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
To that end, I agree. I also generally like to pay for an app upfront to avoid distracting ads. I find the quality of the experience higher, and usually support for future upgrades is more robust.

I also buy the paid version of apps because I can't stand advertisements.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Love Divine

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Really the only paid app I use on Android is Swiftkey. I don't really have the need for more atm. Again, I'm sure I'll appreciate Apple's more robust app selection. Speaking of that, I'll miss the swipe to type thing that several Android keyboards have going on. I'm sure the iOS stock keyboard is good, but are there any similar alternatives?

Thanks for the answers so far guys. Patiently waiting for the iPhone 6.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You apparently don't know what "fragmentation" means in regards to Android.

Sent from my white 5s

Fragmentation, my friend, has its advantages and disadvantages. It does allow far greater number of choices but it also creates a lot of compatibility challenges for Google AND the OEMs to work out. It allows for greater sense of openness and choice and features but you will see it suffer in terms of security etc.

Fragmentation in Android is not always a good thing is what I'm saying.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Really the only paid app I use on Android is Swiftkey. I don't really have the need for more atm. Again, I'm sure I'll appreciate Apple's more robust app selection. Speaking of that, I'll miss the swipe to type thing that several Android keyboards have going on. I'm sure the iOS stock keyboard is good, but are there any similar alternatives?

Thanks for the answers so far guys. Patiently waiting for the iPhone 6.

I think you'll also appreciate the quality of the apps. Given the same apps, they just have better feel on iOS, even if their functionality (especially between apps) is more limiting. Personally, reporting numbers of apps is becoming irrelevant...there is so much junk on the stores...it's the experience and quality of apps that really matters to real consumers.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods