Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Fishfam4
  • 2 Post By Fausty82
  • 1 Post By taz323
  • 1 Post By iOS Gravity
  • 4 Post By JustMe'D
  • 1 Post By Fishfam4
  • 2 Post By Speedygi
  • 3 Post By JustMe'D
  • 1 Post By projectman
  • 2 Post By EmceeGeek
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Default The Perks of an Android-Powered iPhone

So, I'm guessing everyone's probably heard about that Wired interview with Woz, where he said that Apple should make an AndroiPhone. (Like the phrase I just coined? ) My first thought (and I think this opinion is shared by many people) was "to the mental institution for you, Mr. Woz." But then I got to thinking: what effect would a phone with iPhone build quality and style, but with the slickness and popularity of Android have on the smartphone market? I think it would absolutly dominate the market if it had:

• A 5"+ screen
    • Updates ASAP
    • No bloatware

What do you think? Would you buy it? What should the price range be?
    Last edited by Fishfam4; 02-13-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
    serglb likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    526 Global Posts

Default Re: The Perks of an Android-Powered iPhone

Hmm, half the bloatware on Android phones is from vendors trying to replicate Apple by loading up their own software. With Apple you get iTunes, with Samsung I've got Google's media player, Samsung's media player, and hell I think a Verizon media player. Get a "Google Edition" phone or tablet and you get close to iOS in terms of software. The Nexus 7 is certainly a slick device, assuming you are happy using Google services. Otherwise you'll need another vendor to load up on software from.

The only vendor that I thought ever competed with Apple in terms of style was Sony. And they've just sold their VAIO division so we can see how that has worked out for them, at least in the personal computing market. I've owned expensive high end devices from Samsung and others and I've owned Apple devices. There just isn't an equivalent to Apple. They hit the marks in terms of aesthetic design, build quality, etc. They spend the money and time building stuff to a certain aesthetic. Lots of other companies don't bother with this.

Whether that kind of thing is important to you or not probably will determine whether or not you think Apple is worthwhile as a company.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

The Perks of an Android-Powered iPhone-paris_tuileries_garden_facepalm_statue.jpg
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    jmburke1982 and mzengr like this.

Nope, me no want.
    Taz323

Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
    the_tech_eater likes this.

This would be Apple saying that Android is better than iOS and that you should ditch your iPhone.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

"With great power, comes great responsibility." - Uncle Ben
    the_tech_eater likes this.

Global Posts
    20,116 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm one of those people who've enjoyed every phone that I've ever own dating back to 1989. When I had my Blackberry devices, I enjoyed using them, and the same goes for the Android devices that I've owned. Right now, the iPhone is my device of choice, and until it no longer satisfies my smartphone needs, I will continue to use the iPhone. This is not a slight against Android devices or any other smartphone device. I simply enjoy using and am satisfied with the iPhone. PERIOD!
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 02-14-2014 at 10:00 AM.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Algus View Post
    Whether that kind of thing is important to you or not probably will determine whether or not you think Apple is worthwhile as a company.
    I have nothing against Apple, I'm just musing. I think this would draw some of those people who say that they hate iPhone, no customization, walled garden, iSheep etc. etc. etc.
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,390 Global Posts

I think it would be okay but it would convolute the market too much. They are two separate ecosystems that will not blend too well. Just my two cents.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iOS Gravity View Post
    This would be Apple saying that Android is better than iOS and that you should ditch your iPhone.
    It would be like this if the AndroiPhone was the only available iPhone. But if it were an option instead of a flagship, people would just choose which OS they want and still have a premium phone. Like the upcoming Nokia Android. If people want Windows Phone 8, they get the Lumia. If they want Android, they get... Whatever the Android Nokia is called.

Global Posts
    4,075 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Oh boy, these Android crossover theories are rife these days. Wassup with these?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Wrote pretty much every single word while listening to iRon Maiden
    Fausty82 and iOS Gravity like this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Septembersrain#AC View Post
    I think it would be okay but it would convolute the market too much. They are two separate ecosystems that will not blend too well. Just my two cents.
    This is probably right too.

Global Posts
    20,116 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default The Perks of an Android-Powered iPhone

A lot of people miss the mark when they ask others why they like a particular device in lieu of another. They think that just because they can do more things with their device than I can with mine, that somehow I'm missing out, and that's far from being true. If the device that I use satisfies my needs then what am I missing out on? More things that I know I'll never use? That is why doing research based one's needs is important. For all of those people who are still using the iPhone 3G, are they crazy or just satisfied with what they have? Previous models of the iPhone sell like hotcakes. Why is that? Why won't those people buy brand new top of the line non-Apple devices at the same price they are paying for last year's iPhone? Are they crazy or do they know that the device they are buying is all they need?
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 02-14-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Fishfam4 (02-14-2014)
    Karenkcoulter, iEd and iOS Gravity like this.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    Oh boy, these Android crossover theories are rife these days. Wassup with these?

Oh, it's not a theory, it's a musing. You know Steve would only allow this as easily as an 7" iPad or an 4" iPhone: over his dead body.

Oh wait...

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I'm one of those people who've enjoyed every phone that I've ever own dating back to 1989. When I had my Blackberry devices, I enjoyed using them, and the same goes for the Android devices that I've owned. Right now, the iPhone is my device of choice, and until it no longer satisfies my smartphone needs, I will continue to use the iPhone. This is not a slight against Android devices or any other smartphone device. I simply enjoy using and am satisfied with the iPhone. PERIOD!
    What he said. I second that. While I have never owned an Android device I have played with them and know several folks with them. I did use a BB Curve and a BB Torch. In spite of what "everyone else" was saying at the time I found plenty of reasons to be fine with the BB. It did the job. My iPhone is currently doing the job (disregarding some goofy battery life problems) and I will enjoy that until such a time as it no longer works for my needs.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (02-14-2014)
    JustMe'D likes this.

Global Posts
    1,805 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Basically you're talking about a device that's already out there that comes directly from Google, the Nexus line. You get updates right away, larger screen, great solid build, and no bloatware. Bloatware comes from carriers adding their crap on and manufactures adding their extra crap (like Samsung TouchWiz).

No, I like Google and Apple separate. I don't see any perks.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    JustMe'D and Speedygi like this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post

Trying to validate their android ownership?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfam4 View Post
    Oh, it's not a theory, it's a musing. You know Steve would only allow this as easily as an 7" iPad or an 4" iPhone: over his dead body.

Oh wait...

Wow... wondering if Android Central misses you.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,390 Global Posts

Oh wait...

Holy cow, you went and said it. I laughed. I'm in trouble now....
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    iOS Version

fyi friends :
    Mr. Tim Cook: 'Android is Like Europe', Many Different Things Under One Name
    Mr. Cook said that Android is made up of many different things under one banner, as opposed to Windows which was one uniform platform.

Cook's statement was in response to a question asking if the mobile device market will ultimately follow the PC market, where Apple remains a comparatively niche player compared to the dominance of Windows.

Ashish n. d.

Happy to be Part of iMore..
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The only perks I see of a Android powered iPhone is just the look quality and build of a iPhone running Android.
    I'm not a fan of the AndroidOS. For me personally there's no advantage to it.
    I don't research any Android handsets to know if any Android handset rivals the iPhone in build and quality.
    It's up to Android handset makers to make something with the iPhone quality fit and finish.
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"

Let thing about this iOS runs Google apps as well as BBM and soon we will get office on the iPad what we need is more cross platform usability

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts

I don't see any benefits because iOS already gets the newest apps ahead of Android.

I do see a benefit to a five-inch iPhone for some; I expect to see one by this fall, although I won't upgrade again till the 6s.

If there comes a time when the newest apps go to Android ahead of iOS, that'll be the time for an Apple droid. We haven't hit that time yet.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

So, I'm guessing everyone's probably heard about that Wired interview with Woz, where he said that Apple should make an AndroiPhone. (Like the phrase I just coined? ) My first thought (and I think this opinion is shared by many people) was "to the mental institution for you, Mr. Woz." But then I got to thinking: what effect would a phone with iPhone build quality and style, but with the slickness and popularity of Android have on the smartphone market? I think it would absolutly dominate the market if it had:

• A 5"+ screen
    • Updates ASAP
    • No bloatware

What do you think? Would you buy it? What should the price range be?
    Sounds a lot like the HTC One GPE you are describing there. But no, I want iOS on my apple devices.

Posted via the Android iMore App!