The Perks of an Android-Powered iPhone

Fishfam4

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm guessing everyone's probably heard about that Wired interview with Woz, where he said that Apple should make an AndroiPhone. (Like the phrase I just coined? ;)) My first thought (and I think this opinion is shared by many people) was "to the mental institution for you, Mr. Woz." But then I got to thinking: what effect would a phone with iPhone build quality and style, but with the slickness and popularity of Android have on the smartphone market? I think it would absolutly dominate the market if it had:

? A 5"+ screen
? Updates ASAP
? No bloatware

What do you think? Would you buy it? What should the price range be?

Last edited:

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, half the bloatware on Android phones is from vendors trying to replicate Apple by loading up their own software. With Apple you get iTunes, with Samsung I've got Google's media player, Samsung's media player, and hell I think a Verizon media player. Get a "Google Edition" phone or tablet and you get close to iOS in terms of software. The Nexus 7 is certainly a slick device, assuming you are happy using Google services. Otherwise you'll need another vendor to load up on software from.

The only vendor that I thought ever competed with Apple in terms of style was Sony. And they've just sold their VAIO division so we can see how that has worked out for them, at least in the personal computing market. I've owned expensive high end devices from Samsung and others and I've owned Apple devices. There just isn't an equivalent to Apple. They hit the marks in terms of aesthetic design, build quality, etc. They spend the money and time building stuff to a certain aesthetic. Lots of other companies don't bother with this.

Whether that kind of thing is important to you or not probably will determine whether or not you think Apple is worthwhile as a company.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of those people who've enjoyed every phone that I've ever own dating back to 1989. When I had my Blackberry devices, I enjoyed using them, and the same goes for the Android devices that I've owned. Right now, the iPhone is my device of choice, and until it no longer satisfies my smartphone needs, I will continue to use the iPhone. This is not a slight against Android devices or any other smartphone device. I simply enjoy using and am satisfied with the iPhone. PERIOD!

Last edited:

Fishfam4

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Whether that kind of thing is important to you or not probably will determine whether or not you think Apple is worthwhile as a company.

I have nothing against Apple, I'm just musing. :p I think this would draw some of those people who say that they hate iPhone, no customization, walled garden, iSheep etc. etc. etc.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it would be okay but it would convolute the market too much. They are two separate ecosystems that will not blend too well. Just my two cents.

Fishfam4

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
This would be Apple saying that Android is better than iOS and that you should ditch your iPhone.

It would be like this if the AndroiPhone was the only available iPhone. But if it were an option instead of a flagship, people would just choose which OS they want and still have a premium phone. Like the upcoming Nokia Android. If people want Windows Phone 8, they get the Lumia. If they want Android, they get... Whatever the Android Nokia is called. :p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people miss the mark when they ask others why they like a particular device in lieu of another. They think that just because they can do more things with their device than I can with mine, that somehow I'm missing out, and that's far from being true. If the device that I use satisfies my needs then what am I missing out on? More things that I know I'll never use? That is why doing research based one's needs is important. For all of those people who are still using the iPhone 3G, are they crazy or just satisfied with what they have? Previous models of the iPhone sell like hotcakes. Why is that? Why won't those people buy brand new top of the line non-Apple devices at the same price they are paying for last year's iPhone? Are they crazy or do they know that the device they are buying is all they need?

Last edited:

Fishfam4

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh boy, these Android crossover theories are rife these days. Wassup with these?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Oh, it's not a theory, it's a musing. You know Steve would only allow this as easily as an 7" iPad or an 4" iPhone: over his dead body.

Oh wait...

:p

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of those people who've enjoyed every phone that I've ever own dating back to 1989. When I had my Blackberry devices, I enjoyed using them, and the same goes for the Android devices that I've owned. Right now, the iPhone is my device of choice, and until it no longer satisfies my smartphone needs, I will continue to use the iPhone. This is not a slight against Android devices or any other smartphone device. I simply enjoy using and am satisfied with the iPhone. PERIOD!

What he said. I second that. While I have never owned an Android device I have played with them and know several folks with them. I did use a BB Curve and a BB Torch. In spite of what "everyone else" was saying at the time I found plenty of reasons to be fine with the BB. It did the job. My iPhone is currently doing the job (disregarding some goofy battery life problems) and I will enjoy that until such a time as it no longer works for my needs.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Basically you're talking about a device that's already out there that comes directly from Google, the Nexus line. You get updates right away, larger screen, great solid build, and no bloatware. Bloatware comes from carriers adding their crap on and manufactures adding their extra crap (like Samsung TouchWiz).

No, I like Google and Apple separate. I don't see any perks.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
fyi friends :
Mr. Tim Cook: 'Android is Like Europe', Many Different Things Under One Name
Mr. Cook said that Android is made up of many different things under one banner, as opposed to Windows which was one uniform platform.

Cook's statement was in response to a question asking if the mobile device market will ultimately follow the PC market, where Apple remains a comparatively niche player compared to the dominance of Windows.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The only perks I see of a Android powered iPhone is just the look quality and build of a iPhone running Android.
I'm not a fan of the AndroidOS. For me personally there's no advantage to it.
I don't research any Android handsets to know if any Android handset rivals the iPhone in build and quality.
It's up to Android handset makers to make something with the iPhone quality fit and finish.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods