left iOS for Nexus 5....buyers' remorse set in almost immediately

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Be careful when buying an Apple device from Craigslist. Some people sell stolen devices that are Activation Locked. If you plan on buying from Craigslist make sure that they wipe the phone in front of you.

If I buy or trade a phone on Craigslist, I make the person meet me at the AT&T store for two reasons: they always have an armed guard there so you won't get robbed and they can activate the device right there for you so you won't get scammed.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If I buy or trade a phone on Craigslist, I make the person meet me at the AT&T store for two reasons: they always have an armed guard there so you won't get robbed and they can activate the device right there for you so you won't get scammed.

Most times I meet at Verizon but typically I've already gotten and verified the ESN and I'm just confirming the ESN I verified is what's in the phone. This Activation Lock changes the game a little though.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
This exact thing literally happened to me today. I got the phone in the mail and sent for a return authorization from Google about 5 minutes later. I actually got a little bit sad leaving my iPhone and thought of all of the things I'd miss when I switched and went into Hangouts (which nobody uses that I know) and said "yep, sending this back now". I believe it's a good phone but not for me. It's Apple for me for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Reading this thread makes me feel better about my own digital device obsession. I had BBs then iPhones then Androids then WP then back to Android then back to WP and now back to this awesome white 5S.

Since last fall I've had a LG G2, a Nokia 1520 and now a 5S. I do love the high end phones!!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Reading this thread makes me feel better about my own digital device obsession. I had BBs then iPhones then Androids then WP then back to Android then back to WP and now back to this awesome white 5S.

Since last fall I've had a LG G2, a Nokia 1520 and now a 5S. I do love the high end phones!!

I'm starting to slow down with changing devices so often. I'm really liking the iOS ecosystem this time around. I am very comfortable with iOS 7; really enjoying all of the features that it has to offer. And the combination with an iPad really meets all of my needs. I am one of the few people that really doesn't mind the size if the current iPhone. It actually makes more since for it to be this size when combined with an rMini and an Air.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
What do you guys think about a 4S at this juncture? As you can tell I'm just anxious to get back to iOS and I'm also cheap! :D

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm starting to slow down with changing devices so often. I'm really liking the iOS ecosystem this time around. I am very comfortable with iOS 7; really enjoying all of the features that it has to offer. And the combination with an iPad really meets all of my needs. I am one of the few people that really doesn't mind the size if the current iPhone. It actually makes more since for it to be this size when combined with an rMini and an Air.

Completely agree save for having a rMini lol don't have one so can't comment but next year I'll probably buy the wife one so we both have a tablet to use. Love the combo of iPhone and iPad plus I have a MacBook Air and so when I'm in class I can quickly fire off an iMessage from pretty much anywhere on any device I'm using without breaking my note taking too much. Also a huge fan of the ecosystem. I almost switched to the Nexus 5 but I've had my iPhone since launch and it's the first one I've kept this long (sad I know) since the 4 which I kept for a year. I think I'll be able to make it to the iPhone 6 or whatever they call it unless HTC comes out with something crazy. Loved the One and hate Samsung especially if Touchwiz (which sucks) becomes that magazine crap they showed on the new tablets at CES. Wow that looked bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
What do you guys think about a 4S at this juncture? As you can tell I'm just anxious to get back to iOS and I'm also cheap! :D

The 4S is a great device. I wouldn't mind having one if I didn't have another choice for an iPhone. The lack of LTE would be a compromise.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site

I would personally shell out the money for a 5. You can find them for relatively cheap on eBay or something and if you get a 4s now, in the middle of a phones release year that is 2 generations ahead you're gonna have to buy another one in a year or so but the 5 you should be able to get updates and such for another couple of years. I doubt the 4s makes it past iOS 8. I actually think the 4s is a decent device but I'm not sure it will be in September when iOS 8 and the next iPhone are likely to hit.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the last post. While the 4S was a super nice phone in its day, it's day has passed. At least with a 5 you should be able to run iOS 8 later this year. I doubt that the 4s will be able to run 8 and if it does it will be slow.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The 4S is a great device. I wouldn't mind having one if I didn't have another choice for an iPhone. The lack of LTE would be a compromise.

Yeah the lack of LTE would be a compromise but I don't do any heavy lifting with data unless I'm at home on wi-fi so that shouldn't hurt too bad.

Jtshurtleff said:
I would personally shell out the money for a 5. You can find them for relatively cheap on eBay or something and if you get a 4s now, in the middle of a phones release year that is 2 generations ahead you're gonna have to buy another one in a year or so but the 5 you should be able to get updates and such for another couple of years. I doubt the 4s makes it past iOS 8. I actually think the 4s is a decent device but I'm not sure it will be in September when iOS 8 and the next iPhone are likely to hit.
While I know exactly what you mean, I'm cool with having to buy another iPhone when I upgrade. I'm selling the Moto X for 260 so I could get a 4S and have money left as opposed to having to put another 150-200 bucks with what I get for the Moto X to get a 5 or better.

I could just go to the ATM and buy one for 400 bucks or so but that would NOT sit well with the wife and I have to live with her. :D

phlamethrowre said:
Maybe you can find a 5c for cheap. It'll hold you over for a while.
I see 2 5Cs on Craigslist....one blue and one pink. Well, I saw a white one but the guy never responded. I think I deal with Craigslist because I like instant gratification and eBay (for example) doesn't feed that need. I'm a strange one. Ha

Well, I did find 1 iPhone 5 that was reasonable but it's some guy that works at Verizon and fixes iPhones so what he's selling is a 5 with a black front and silver/white on the back! It's like a more premium 5C but it looks weird! Not going to buy your FrankenPhone sir. :D

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I forgot about the 4S not having LTE. That's why I sold my wife's mint condition white 4s when she got her 5s instead of using it for a while myself b4 selling it. Once you use LTE it's hard to give it up.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Mumfaou, I can assure you that a 4s will ruin your view on iOS coming from a Moto X. I did that exact transition when waiting for my 5s and I hated it and that was with iOS 7. I found a couple Verizon 5's on craigslist near me for less than $300

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Mumfaou, I can assure you that a 4s will ruin your view on iOS coming from a Moto X. I did that exact transition when waiting for my 5s and I hated it and that was with iOS 7. I found a couple Verizon 5's on craigslist near me for less than $300

Here in the low country of SC must be a dead zone! Ha

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
How do you ensure you don't get bitten by the activation lock buying online though?

If they send it and it's from eBay and it doesn't work then they'll cover you. Just make sure you buy the right carrier and that it has a clear esn. If you buy and didn't read the auction and it's messed up then eBay will likely side with the seller but it's definitely legit. Safer than Craigslist IMHO

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If they send it and it's from eBay and it doesn't work then they'll cover you. Just make sure you buy the right carrier and that it has a clear esn. If you buy and didn't read the auction and it's messed up then eBay will likely side with the seller but it's definitely legit. Safer than Craigslist IMHO

I just like to be face to face as meeting during the day at a public place is always a requirement for my Craigslist transactions. Been doing it for years! Thankfully the Moto X is a great phone so I'll keep looking and eventually something will turn up. OR, I'll look up and it'll be upgrade time and the iPhone 6 will be out! :D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2