[VIDEO] HOW-TO: SIM Card Adapter to use your iPhone's nano SIM in other phones

edyb

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

I have an iPhone and went to my carrier to transfer my service to a new nano SIM card. But I missed having a chance to use my other devices, as I like to experiment with several phones and may pick a phone based on my mood for the day. Unfortunately, the SIM that works on the iPhone won't work in any other phone (which carry regular and micro SIMs). So if you are in the same situation like me, and want the freedom to try out some different phones (or in case of emergency), you can pick up a cheap SIM Card Adapter and be able to use your nano SIM in any other phone! I made the video below to show you how.

What I did is buy the nano SIM adapter you see in the video above from eBay, free shipping from Hong Kong, for a total of $1. Yes, a buck, amazing as you get 3 adapters to suit every need and a key for your iPhone SIM slot and shipping included to your mailbox for that price. There are many brands, I just picked what looked popular from a highly-rated seller. The video also shows how NOT to make a costly mistake by using these adapters. iPhone is safe for now because there is nothing smaller than the nano SIM to insert and break. BUT... CrackBerry Kevin over on one of the other Mobile Nations sister sites, made a costly mistake and broke his new BlackBerry with an adapter... doing the exact same thing since he also carries around a bunch of devices including an iPhone. So I am hoping to spread the message.

Also, there is a solution if you do make the mistake if you insert a SIM without a card in it. You should be able to pierce a needle through the top of your adapter's clear membrane to push down the pins while you slowly pull it. Once you get it past the first set of 3 gold pins, you do the same on the next set of 3 gold pins. You will end up making some holes in your adapter but it may still work. And even if the adapter breaks, you have saved your phone which is way more valuable. Not all phones have the holes above the pins in the slot... But in the video above you see the BlackBerry does. If it doesn't you may have to actually drill some access holes in the top of the slot just above the pins!

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I tried that setup with a Samsung Galaxy S4, it will not work. I tried twice, luckily my Samsung was less than 30 days old and they replaced phone both times because they said phone would not read the SIM card. Don't think I'll try it again. Maybe that would be something you would like to try!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edyb

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi tharley46,

Did you find out why it didn't work? Is the nano-SIM using a different pin layout or protocol for reading the chip? Did your phone break or did the SIM get stuck in it? Why did they have to replace the phone? Was there damage or something else going on? Please let me know.... I haven't tried it yet on the BlackBerry but I am tempted to give it a try, maybe it is working differently on different phones.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
All the service tech said the phone wasn't reading the card. No it didn't get stuck. No visible damage or AT&T would have commented on that. I've used the nano with adapter on 4 different phones and they worked perfectly. All I know is that Samsung worked with the Micro Sim and then I cut the sim to a Nano put in the adapter and installed it in the Samsung. When it powered up it showed no Sim Card installed. I removed ( slid out normal, no hang up) the Sim Card twice and tried again, still showed no card installed. I took the phone into AT&T to have it re-activated. He installed SIM card for that phone and tried to activate it---shows no card installed. After a few minutes of scratching his head, he pulled out a new phone, installed new card, activated and I was on my way. We'll about 3 days down the road, I tried the trick again. Same song, different verse. Went to a different AT&T store to activate it, did the same thing all over as the first time. This is the first time that this has ever happened. I've swapped out different size sims to different phones, always worked many times. Just won't work with the Samsung. One thing I should tell you, I took the Micro Sim out of the Samsung and cut it down to a Nano and installed it my iPhone 5S and works perfect but when I take the Nano and put it in an adapter and install it in Samsung, it does not read it and then I have to replace the Samsung. I can put Nano back into the iPhone and it works perfect. Afraid to try this again, AT&T might start thinking!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edyb

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
That sounds very strange indeed. Especially since you took it out of the Samsung and cut it down and it works fine in the iPhone, but won't work in the Samsung using an adapter. It is as if the Samsung can tell whether it was cut or not, even though it is in an adapter which should theoretically do the trick. I bet the shape of the SIM slot on the Samsung doesn't like adapters or the thickness, and the pins may push wrong or not make proper contacts when there is a SIM in an adapter in a Samsung. But I don't see how it could break the phone... you should be able to put back a micro/mini and have it work again, not have to change to a completely new phone, just a new SIM card for the correct size. Very strange indeed, thanks for sharing!

jlank

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with a galaxy s4 on verizon. Worked perfect on my galaxy nexus tho.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2