SE with 256 Storage?

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Do you think they would make a refreshed SE with higher storage capacity? I'd actually pick one up as a second phone for commuting, podcasts, music etc;

What do you think the likelihood of that is?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
What do you think the likelihood of that is?

I would LOVE for that to happen but I think Apple is keeping that 256 GB storage option as a 'premium' feature in the more expensive iPhone models. Much like the dual camera set up in the 'Plus model' iPhone. It's a key selling feature. If Apple do make a new iPhone SE model in 2018 i think it will stick with 128GB unless the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus have a 512GB storage option. Wow, that would be CRAZY! haha

For a percentage estimate, possibly in the 0% - 15% range. (just my opinion, obviously)

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a 64GB SE as a music player/streaming media player on my second line, and still have plenty of space left. My primary is iP7 with 256GB and honestly I should've gone smaller - I'm using a tiny fraction of that space, so I feel like I've wasted a ton of money on it!

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I sold a 7 plus 256gb for a 32gb SE, i use iCloud for 8,000 photos and 471 videos, with all my apps i use i have 18gb left.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It no cost to Apple since they just swap out the memory to 256 during production.

The 256 GB memory stil has to be produced for Apple, which costs more than the 32 GB. Saying that it has no cost for Apple is simply not true. That the cost is marginal has no role in this statement.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Not a no cost upgrade, but I think they were trying to say Apple already uses it in other models so it wouldn't have to be developed specifically for this phone. Having said that I don't think they will do it on the SE, and I really don't see myself needing more than 64GB, and I think I could get by with 32. I always go over what I think I need, but have never filled up a phone. I had 64GB 6, 128GB 6S, and now a 64GB SE, and only have 14.62GB used (most in storage is Pocket Casts at 1.15GB, then messages at 698MB). I use OneDrive for all my pictures and music, so I don't need the memory on the phone, but having a little buffer is nice for trips where you can't upload pictures or you want to have music to listen to offline. I think 32GB would still give me that buffer.

I understand that a lot of people are not like me, and for those that do need 256GB I think Apple would still want to steer them to their flagship phones.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Like others in this thread, I've found that I don't use a whole lot of on-phone storage. 19.96GB currently on the 64GB iPhone 6s+ I got a year ago. Never a problem with my 32GB Nokia Lumia 920, which gathered stuff for 3.5 years. I tend to load things on my phone then delete them after use, particularly videos and audiobooks, and I periodially offload and archive photos on a pair of mirrored 1 terabyte hard drives (special memories go to the cloud as well). So a 32GB SE would have been fine had I encountered a deal on one before the 64GB one I bought the other day.

But that's me. If there's another iteration of the iPhone SE and Apple sees a demand for 256GB versions I think it likely that it'll happen. :)