Do you know the expected battery wear level of an iPhone SE?

I

iMore Question

Hi! I purchased my phone about 3 months ago (April 2016). Last week (11-17 July) I checked the battery wear level on Battery Life app and it showed 0% and it was never fluctuating. Then this week (around July 20) I checked again and it was 2%. Thoughout the day it reached to 4%, then it remained to 2%. (I read that this fluctuating can be normal, so I said OK - to the fluctuating, not to the fact that suddenly I had a wear level). So the next day I started to check more and I saw that it reached 7%! Then of course it went back to 4%, now it is 2%. I have to mention that I didn't change anything in the way I use my phone - Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Safari, Whatsapp etc. more after the first six hours of the day. The thing that changed is the fact that I started playing PokemonGo therefore I had to use Data and Location. Added together it were about let's say 3-4hours of using this app.
Oh and another thing, I have 64 cycles.

So my question is why did I suddenly get this wear level? I mean if after only 3 months and 64 cycles? And what was with that 7% ?
I upgraded yesterday to iOS 9.3.3, but I'm thinking of restoring it as a new phone..

I hope someone sees this:)).. And thanks in advance ;)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, welcome to iMore.

Delete those apps and don't sweat it.
li-ion batteries are supposed to last at least 1500 cycles before they have to be replaced.
For someone who charges every day from 0 to 100 that means 1500 days. That's like 4 years before your iPhone SE will start to show some battery problems like shutting off at 20% battery charge level and stuff.

I never checked my battery wear level on my iPhone 5s and when after 22 months I started to get shut offs I simply went to the Apple Store and they replaced my phone for me. I am a heavy user and do two full cycles a day with it.

YOLO. You only live once.
My best advice: you only live once, enjoy the phone and delete all those battery apps you have

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, with that app, it makes a difference if the phone is charged up or if it's low. It reads a higher % the higher it's charged up. Also, it reads higher if checked while charging. That app no longer works on iOS 10. Apple doesn't want us users to have that information. I have Battery life and Battery Health, and both quit working on iOS 10 beta.

SorinaL

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi, it was me who asked the question.
So...yeah..I don't think I've did more than 10 full cycles. AND I know that it may be a placebo thing with this app. BUT I was concerned that something really did happen with my battery. I mean I changed my phone because of the battery and I don't want after 1 year to change it again.. That's waste of money. This is why I was trying to find out if someone knows after how long it is normal to "achieve" wear level :D

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for joining our forum.

Like I said, I'm a heavy user myself and mine lasted 22 months before it showed slight signs of wear.

These devices last far more longer if used normally.

Enjoy your phone and don't stare blind on those numbers. They are misleading at best.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If the app is flaky like that, delete it and don't worry about it. Just use your phone and enjoy it :) These devices are meant to last a long time, and if you're not deep-discharging the battery constantly and charging full cycles multiple times per day you'll be fine!

SorinaL

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
If the app is flaky like that, delete it and don't worry about it. Just use your phone and enjoy it :) These devices are meant to last a long time, and if you're not deep-discharging the battery constantly and charging full cycles multiple times per day you'll be fine!

RobertK28 Well I don't think the app is flaky...I mean.. The most recent example: I stayed on Snapchat for about...max 5 minutes => the battery went from 68% to 66% and before noticing the wear level, it didn't discharged so quickly. And the same happens with all the apps. I can see that it discharges quicker... I don't know what to say, I really wished someone had an actual example using iphone SE :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
RobertK28 Well I don't think the app is flaky...I mean.. The most recent example: I stayed on Snapchat for about...max 5 minutes => the battery went from 68% to 66% and before noticing the wear level, it didn't discharged so quickly. And the same happens with all the apps. I can see that it discharges quicker... I don't know what to say, I really wished someone had an actual example using iphone SE :)

Make an appointment with the nearest Apple Store and have them check your battery diagnostics. They can inform you much more precise about the battery wear level, how long it is supposed to last and what you can do to reduce batter wear.

Third party apps have never been fully supported by iOS and in iOS 10 they will most likely be refused to access the diagnostic completely.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, with that app, it makes a difference if the phone is charged up or if it's low. It reads a higher % the higher it's charged up. Also, it reads higher if checked while charging. That app no longer works on iOS 10. Apple doesn't want us users to have that information. I have Battery life and Battery Health, and both quit working on iOS 10 beta.

Note: The Battery Life app is up and running again in iOS 10 public beta 2. Hopefully, Apple will continue to allow it.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Always remember, this is an app thats trying to see what the condition of the battery. Its not always correct. I would only use it as a guide line and not for definite answers.

A battery is normally 50 - 70% worn after 2 years. Just enjoy the phone and don't worry about the condition. Im sure apple put a good enough battery in for it to last you 2 Years + :)

amr ashraf mostafa

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi, welcome to iMore.

Delete those apps and don't sweat it.
li-ion batteries are supposed to last at least 1500 cycles before they have to be replaced.
For someone who charges every day from 0 to 100 that means 1500 days. That's like 4 years before your iPhone SE will start to show some battery problems like shutting off at 20% battery charge level and stuff.

I never checked my battery wear level on my iPhone 5s and when after 22 months I started to get shut offs I simply went to the Apple Store and they replaced my phone for me. I am a heavy user and do two full cycles a day with it.

YOLO. You only live once.
My best advice: you only live once, enjoy the phone and delete all those battery apps you have

And whey apple store didn't change the battery for you?
Why they changed the whole mobile?
And then do you think it is better for the battery life not to fully charge it from 0 to 100? And better is charging it from 15 to 80% tosave much life cycles?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative