Do you have to use Touch ID or can you still type in a code?

I

iMore Question

I don't want to use a touch ID, but I would like to use a code. I'm looking into buying an iphone SE. Does it still have touch ID. Or can you switch it, from touch ID to something else?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Although I recommend giving Touch ID a try, you don't have to use it. You can use a passcode instead.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Touch ID is easy. And way better than a passcode. Try it when you get the SE. If you don't like it, you can disable it in Settings.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I find myself using both the Touch ID and the Code. You have to find what works best for your application. As the other folks stated you can use either one and disable the other one in settings. Good luck.

Ursus Rufus

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I don't want to use a touch ID, but I would like to use a code. I'm looking into buying an iphone SE. Does it still have touch ID. Or can you switch it, from touch ID to something else?

The extra level of security Touch ID gives is great, but to be honest it's not as reliable as Passcode. And you have to use both anyway.

I'll explain.

To even enable Touch ID in the settings, you have to enter a code.

Then, whenever you start or restart your phone, you are required to enter that code. You cannot use Touch ID. The same goes when you enter into Passcode & Touch ID settings: It asks for your Passcode, to even get started. Again, Touch ID is not an option.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I have not seen a way to change this.
It's the default; the way Apple designed it.

Also, there are times when Touch ID gives the "Try Again" message. Maybe the home button is a bit smeary or you don't hold your finger quite right. It happens.

So, I just use Passcode for the most part. Though really, it's always going to be a mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW