How many of you use touch ID for phone unlocking?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
to me, if you have a passcode and have a phone with Touch ID, not using it is completely ignorant.
it hurts my brain to think that someone would prefer a typing a passcode vs using touchID.
Before the iPhone had TouchID, a good deal of iPhone owners typed in a passcode to gain access to the home screen. Many of those people who had gotten used to that, simply prefer to continue unlocking their devices in that manner. Thankfully, they are keeping their devices locked.

That's like having a TV with a remote, but you prefer to get up and walk over to the TV and change the channel manually instead....
When I was a kid, my parents would be sitting right next to the TV, but would call me or one of my brothers, who were nowhere near the TV, to come and change the channel. They were flat out being lazy. In your example, someone opting to get up to change the channel instead of using the remote control is obviously not being lazy.
can't fix stupid...
Hmmm

if you don't use a passcode at all. then touchID is useless as far as getting into the phone.
Not passcode protecting an iPhone is a security risk, but it is still the choice of the owner.

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TouchID to unlock the phone is extremely convenient. It is much faster than entering the passcode every time. I also use it in secure apps that support TouchID and for Apple Pay. It is a wonderful feature.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure I could live without it now. And, it works with 1Password, too.
Also, according to reports, with MacOS coming soon, I'll be able to unlock my iMac, with my Apple Watch ;)

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
It is so frustrating when I sit at my Windows computer and must enter my password.

This is what happens after using Touch ID to unlock on so many devices...

PeterS

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have iPhone 5S. I have set and reset the fingerprints many times but Touch ID works only half the time I try to use it. Also I keep reading about the process of just touching the home button to get it to work. That has never happened for me, I always have to hard press the home button and keep it pressed for a second or two.
What am I doing wrong or is my phone just too old. I am on 9.3.2 but this process has always been the case.

Any advice please?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Yep, all the time. Occasionally, it takes a second or two, but the vast majority of the time, it's nearly instant on my 5s. Not as fast as a 6s, but very fast all the same.

In fact, like some 6s users, I've taken to waking the phone with the Sleep/Wake button instead of the Home button because I kept missing notifications on the lock screen, as the phone unlocked instead of just showing the notifications.

The iOS 10 raise-to-wake feature will change things, but I wonder if it wakes when anybody lifts your phone up. I hope this can be restricted to using a Watch to authenticate, just as the phone can unlock the Watch.

PeterS

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Yep, all the time. Occasionally, it takes a second or two, but the vast majority of the time, it's nearly instant on my 5s.

Do you have to actually press the Home button until it clicks and perhaps hold it down for a second or two or can you just touch the button and unlock the phone?
The latter process has never worked for me [iPhone 5S], only the former.
I know this is not the biggest problem in the world right now but I am intrigued that I continually see the instruction from Apple that to unlock the phone all you have to do is just touch the button with your finger, accepting that the fingerprint has been entered in the phone.

Butterfly2

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I only touch sometimes the finger print sensor does not work even though print is stored...i delete corrupt print and I m gd again! A bug no doubt! Btw pressing works too!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW