How many of you use touch ID for phone unlocking?

Digginit2

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I use it for unlocking the phone and secure apps like passwords or banking. You can still do the app shortcut from the lockscreen too! Just slide it to the right like before then touch id and you're there!!

geenosr

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
I can't live without it......I use it for everything, especially with lastpass password management! But it's so fast on the 6S I cant use it to get the time, I have to use the wake/sleep button. It's too good!!!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That's what worries me too, which is why I'm still debating whether I should just force myself to use Touch ID until I get used to it. :D
For as small as the SE is, sliding the notification and immediately putting a thumb on Touch ID doesn't sound like a huge burden. On a Plus, yeah. But the SE is so easy to maneuver with one hand that it makes things like that super quick.

paulthefencer

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time on my iPhone 6 and my Mini 4. I also have the original iPad Air which doesn't have the touch ID feature. It's probably about 1 extra second to punch in my security code to unlock the iPad, but that's a long second. :)

2tomtom

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I use it for phone unlock and opening secure apps and apple pay. It's great and I would miss it if I didn't have it.

I love the touch ID function too for the same reasons - the iPhone 6S is my first iPhone and the 3D touch and touch ID are amazing.

skoenig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time and it annoys me when older devices we have don't have it...

I ended up setting up forefinger and thumbs from both hands fo each device.

~Steph

Last edited:

bradpdx

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I use it all the time, for unlocking, Apple Pay and apps (especially 1Password). When I go back to my iPad Air with no TouchID, it feels really clunky and slow to have to enter the passcode to open it and to use apps like 1Password.

Count me as a fan of TouchID, big time. Works great on both 5S and 6S phones.

gsparkman

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Also there are times when the iPhone, for security reasons, has you re-enter the passcode manually. This is not a TouchID failure. It's a feature!

bytor

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I use it only for purchases, downloading and Apple Pay...never to unlock the phone. Here's why. According to the law, a password is protected free speech and you can not be compelled to give or type your password by law enforcement. However, your fingerprint is not protected. Therefore, you can be compelled by law enforcement to use your fingerprint to unlock your phone. Being privacy minded, I choose to not use my FP for unlocking for just that reason. I keep nothing clandestine on my phone or anywhere for that matter. However, under the fourth amendment, I am allowed to be "secure in my person, house, papers and effects". Using a passcode keeps it that way on my phone.

Gregg

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
re: "That's arguably due to excessive oils/grease, etcetera on the finger. Simply clean the finger and the home button and Voila!"

More often t's just ordinary sweat. Even a slightly sweaty finger completely stymies TouchID so if you live in a hot area that can be maddening.

Also, the phone will randomly ask you to put in your passcode a lot. Like a lot, a lot. With my phone it's usually about once every couple of days I have to put in the long complicated passcode that TouchID is supposed to alleviate, so it can be really frustrating that way. Especially when it does it in the morning when the alarm goes off. Trying to fat finger a difficult passcode just to get your alarm to turn off can drive you insane.

Overall, it would be nice if Apple gave us more control over that aspect. We are not all children.

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I use it only for purchases, downloading and Apple Pay...never to unlock the phone. Here's why. According to the law, a password is protected free speech and you can not be compelled to give or type your password by law enforcement. However, your fingerprint is not protected. Therefore, you can be compelled by law enforcement to use your fingerprint to unlock your phone. Being privacy minded, I choose to not use my FP for unlocking for just that reason. I keep nothing clandestine on my phone or anywhere for that matter. However, under the fourth amendment, I am allowed to be "secure in my person, house, papers and effects". Using a passcode keeps it that way on my phone.

This is easily gotten around though and I think you're being overly paranoid.

For instance you don't have to register all your fingers and if you try more than a few times it locks you out. On my phone I just use my thumbs for TouchID, so if I were stopped by the police I would just use the other fingers a few times until it fails. Then you are safe.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
to me, if you have a passcode and have a phone with Touch ID, not using it is completely ignorant.
it hurts my brain to think that someone would prefer a typing a passcode vs using touchID.

That's like having a TV with a remote, but you prefer to get up and walk over to the TV and change the channel manually instead....
can't fix stupid...

if you don't use a passcode at all. then touchID is useless as far as getting into the phone.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Do you not use a passcode at all?

Haven't needed to in over a year but that can change.

if you don't use a passcode at all. then touchID is useless as far as getting into the phone.

That's where I'm at.

I'm not overly personal with computers as an upbringing thing, so any data stored on my phone is stuff I'd pretty much share anyway. That said I do value privacy and often gauge trust in certain things technology. I keep my phone close but if I ever lost it to someone else, it would be an inconvenience.

fatalpuls3

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I currently use it however with all this law enforcement garbage going on, they can force you to use your fingerprint to unlock your phone but they cannot do that with you just using a passcode. so im unsure i might switch to not using it

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not overly personal with computers as an upbringing thing, so any data stored on my phone is stuff I'd pretty much share anyway. That said I do value privacy and often gauge trust in certain things technology. I keep my phone close but if I ever lost it to someone else, it would be an inconvenience.

That's why I use it. My apps are locked with touchID but I like the phone to be there too. Pics of where I live, address book of friends/family, and pics of my kids aren't for everyone to see should my phone be lost or stolen. If you have nothing to worry about with your phone like that, then more power to you. But if there are things, even minor, that you'd feel violated if it was lost/stolen, then a passcode and/or TouchID are warranted.
Then again some people don't lock the front door to the house when they go to sleep, yet some of us treat our home like Fort Knox :)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
to me, if you have a passcode and have a phone with Touch ID, not using it is completely ignorant.
it hurts my brain to think that someone would prefer a typing a passcode vs using touchID.

That's like having a TV with a remote, but you prefer to get up and walk over to the TV and change the channel manually instead....
can't fix stupid...

Thing is no matter what feature you feel people should use, there's still a valid argument and a personal choice not to use them. Great discussion comes when you begin to see from the other side.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods