Also there are times when the iPhone, for security reasons, has you re-enter the passcode manually. This is not a TouchID failure. It's a feature!
    at least it doesn't make you re-register finger prints every few months
    06-13-2016 06:07 PM
    I use it only for purchases, downloading and Apple Pay...never to unlock the phone. Here's why. According to the law, a password is protected free speech and you can not be compelled to give or type your password by law enforcement. However, your fingerprint is not protected. Therefore, you can be compelled by law enforcement to use your fingerprint to unlock your phone. Being privacy minded, I choose to not use my FP for unlocking for just that reason. I keep nothing clandestine on my phone or anywhere for that matter. However, under the fourth amendment, I am allowed to be "secure in my person, house, papers and effects". Using a passcode keeps it that way on my phone.

Gregg
    robertk328 likes this.
    06-13-2016 06:15 PM
    re: "That's arguably due to excessive oils/grease, etcetera on the finger. Simply clean the finger and the home button and Voila!"

More often t's just ordinary sweat. Even a slightly sweaty finger completely stymies TouchID so if you live in a hot area that can be maddening.

Also, the phone will randomly ask you to put in your passcode a lot. Like a lot, a lot. With my phone it's usually about once every couple of days I have to put in the long complicated passcode that TouchID is supposed to alleviate, so it can be really frustrating that way. Especially when it does it in the morning when the alarm goes off. Trying to fat finger a difficult passcode just to get your alarm to turn off can drive you insane.

Overall, it would be nice if Apple gave us more control over that aspect. We are not all children.
    06-13-2016 08:47 PM
    I use it only for purchases, downloading and Apple Pay...never to unlock the phone. Here's why. According to the law, a password is protected free speech and you can not be compelled to give or type your password by law enforcement. However, your fingerprint is not protected. Therefore, you can be compelled by law enforcement to use your fingerprint to unlock your phone. Being privacy minded, I choose to not use my FP for unlocking for just that reason. I keep nothing clandestine on my phone or anywhere for that matter. However, under the fourth amendment, I am allowed to be "secure in my person, house, papers and effects". Using a passcode keeps it that way on my phone.
    This is easily gotten around though and I think you're being overly paranoid.

For instance you don't have to register all your fingers and if you try more than a few times it locks you out. On my phone I just use my thumbs for TouchID, so if I were stopped by the police I would just use the other fingers a few times until it fails. Then you are safe.
    06-13-2016 08:49 PM
    Not me password works fine.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-13-2016 09:08 PM
    to me, if you have a passcode and have a phone with Touch ID, not using it is completely ignorant.
    it hurts my brain to think that someone would prefer a typing a passcode vs using touchID.

That's like having a TV with a remote, but you prefer to get up and walk over to the TV and change the channel manually instead....
    can't fix stupid...

if you don't use a passcode at all. then touchID is useless as far as getting into the phone.
    06-14-2016 01:00 AM
    Do you not use a passcode at all?
    Haven't needed to in over a year but that can change.

if you don't use a passcode at all. then touchID is useless as far as getting into the phone.
    That's where I'm at.

I'm not overly personal with computers as an upbringing thing, so any data stored on my phone is stuff I'd pretty much share anyway. That said I do value privacy and often gauge trust in certain things technology. I keep my phone close but if I ever lost it to someone else, it would be an inconvenience.
    06-14-2016 02:13 AM
    I currently use it however with all this law enforcement garbage going on, they can force you to use your fingerprint to unlock your phone but they cannot do that with you just using a passcode. so im unsure i might switch to not using it
    06-14-2016 05:19 AM
    I'm not overly personal with computers as an upbringing thing, so any data stored on my phone is stuff I'd pretty much share anyway. That said I do value privacy and often gauge trust in certain things technology. I keep my phone close but if I ever lost it to someone else, it would be an inconvenience.
    That's why I use it. My apps are locked with touchID but I like the phone to be there too. Pics of where I live, address book of friends/family, and pics of my kids aren't for everyone to see should my phone be lost or stolen. If you have nothing to worry about with your phone like that, then more power to you. But if there are things, even minor, that you'd feel violated if it was lost/stolen, then a passcode and/or TouchID are warranted.
    Then again some people don't lock the front door to the house when they go to sleep, yet some of us treat our home like Fort Knox
    Pcmx likes this.
    06-14-2016 06:05 AM
    to me, if you have a passcode and have a phone with Touch ID, not using it is completely ignorant.
    it hurts my brain to think that someone would prefer a typing a passcode vs using touchID.

That's like having a TV with a remote, but you prefer to get up and walk over to the TV and change the channel manually instead....
    can't fix stupid...

Thing is no matter what feature you feel people should use, there's still a valid argument and a personal choice not to use them. Great discussion comes when you begin to see from the other side.
    robertk328, libra89 and Pcmx like this.
    06-14-2016 06:23 AM
    Before the iPhone had TouchID, a good deal of iPhone owners typed in a passcode to gain access to the home screen. Many of those people who had gotten used to that, simply prefer to continue unlocking their devices in that manner. Thankfully, they are keeping their devices locked.

When I was a kid, my parents would be sitting right next to the TV, but would call me or one of my brothers, who were nowhere near the TV, to come and change the channel. They were flat out being lazy. In your example, someone opting to get up to change the channel instead of using the remote control is obviously not being lazy.
    can't fix stupid...
    Hmmm

Not passcode protecting an iPhone is a security risk, but it is still the choice of the owner.
    libra89 and Speedygi like this.
    06-14-2016 06:36 AM
    TouchID to unlock the phone is extremely convenient. It is much faster than entering the passcode every time. I also use it in secure apps that support TouchID and for Apple Pay. It is a wonderful feature.
    06-14-2016 12:27 PM
    I'm not sure I could live without it now. And, it works with 1Password, too.
    Also, according to reports, with MacOS coming soon, I'll be able to unlock my iMac, with my Apple Watch
    06-14-2016 04:10 PM
    Late to the party here, but I can't live without TouchID - it's amazing how much I use that iPhone feature!
    06-14-2016 04:30 PM
    I use it for everything I can.
    robertk328 likes this.
    06-14-2016 04:54 PM
    I use mine all the time. Love it.
    Speedygi likes this.
    06-14-2016 05:01 PM
    I do!
    06-15-2016 03:51 AM
    faster than punching in a code, on a 6s at least.
    06-15-2016 04:28 PM
    It is so frustrating when I sit at my Windows computer and must enter my password.

This is what happens after using Touch ID to unlock on so many devices...
    06-15-2016 05:32 PM
    Touch ID rocks like a moose. It locks my iPhone and 1password.
    06-15-2016 08:51 PM
    I have iPhone 5S. I have set and reset the fingerprints many times but Touch ID works only half the time I try to use it. Also I keep reading about the process of just touching the home button to get it to work. That has never happened for me, I always have to hard press the home button and keep it pressed for a second or two.
    What am I doing wrong or is my phone just too old. I am on 9.3.2 but this process has always been the case.

Any advice please?
    06-15-2016 11:40 PM
    Yes, V2 is way better.
    06-16-2016 06:49 PM
    Sorry to appear dense.
    What is 'V2'?
    06-16-2016 07:30 PM
    Sorry to appear dense.
    What is 'V2'?
    Probably meant version 2 of Touch ID which is on the 6s and 6s+.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    06-16-2016 08:02 PM
    The one on SE is a bit slow, it takes 2-3 seconds to unlock my phone which is why it's annoying.
    06-17-2016 04:35 AM
113 12345