iPhone SE: The best ever phone for Mom & Dad?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Debatable.
You points are very valid, but what about screen size ? A mom in her '60 maybe would prefer the large and comfortable screen of the 6S Plus.

iDavid956

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you. My mother is 67 years old. She was familiar with Macs when she got an iPhone 4 three years ago. She liked the small size of the phone because it fits nicely in her hand and in her pocket. She does use reading glasses so I increased the size of the text which is very helpful for her especially in Messages. It took her a while to get used to texting on a QWERTY touchscreen since she was a two-handed pro on a flip phone. She’s gotten used to having the power of the Internet in her pocket. She likes being able to look up stuff like addresses, phone numbers, crossword puzzle answers, the latest lottery numbers, etc. She likes the Facebook app to keep up with all our relatives and her banking app to keep track of her finances. She also likes having a good-quality camera on her at all times to take pictures of her grandchildren. As far as storage goes, she has very few apps so the majority of the 16 GBs goes to storing photos and videos. She filled it up once with photos and videos but I transferred them to her Mac and recovered a lot of her storage space.

Last year, she inherited my sister’s old iPhone 5. And while it would have been a perfectly fine replacement for her for a year or two, the digitizer unfortunately started acting up really bad this past February. The screen would quit responding or start ghost typing so I told her to stick it out until March 21st when Apple was set to unveil the new smaller iPhone. I watched the event and knew instantly that it was the new phone for her for all the same reasons you stated. So on March 31st, I went with her to our local Verizon store and upgraded her to a 16GB Rose Gold iPhone SE. She got a nice, clear, soft-grip case to show off the Rose Gold color and a tempered glass cover to protect the screen. So now she has a iPhone that could potentially last her for the next 3-4 years assuming it doesn’t break down internally or slow down to a crawl with a new iOS update. If anything, it might need a battery replacement in 2-3 years. (I had an iPhone 3G for 3 years and a 4S for four years. They all lasted. I only had to upgrade the batteries once on each model. So it’s possible.)

I hope this helps. Let us know what your Mom decides.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My parents have a 6s and 6s Plus. That being said, my mother would have probably loved an SE if it existed when she bought a new phone last September.

Miyaa

May 20, 2015
Visit site
My mother will kick and scream to an AT&T store when it comes time to change out her iPhone 4 with either an SE or the iPhone 6. Personally, I’d like her to get the iPhone 6S (or 7S whenever it comes out) because of its larger screen size. (To be honest, ever since I’ve had the 6S, every other iPhone size seems to look too small for me.) However, I think she’ll gravitate to the SE simply because she’s cheap. (I can also remind her she spent $500 on $5 or less “antiques” so spending $299 for an SE won’t be as bad.)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The 6s seemed like the 'just right' size to her. SE was too small, but she did prefer it over the 6s Plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Urban Brewer

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
a new iPhone SE and I have to say I pleasantly surprised with its size and especially it's performance. Happy with the change. Apologies with the fragmented message, big fingers

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't assume your mom wants a small screen phone . My mom uses a 6plus because she couldn't see the screen too well anymore on her 4s. Women in general are better equipped for larger phones because it's easily stored in a purse. I would look at a phone with a bigger screen. I think the se is perfect for people that pocket their phone and use a tablet for media consumption

I agree fully.. I women with a purse can handle a 6S Plus much easier. I had the plus since launch and it became a pain in the **** to carry around, so I just switched to the 6s and am thinking about going even smaller to the SE. Having it slip comfortably into my pocket is like gaining another hand!

SE for a phone and Ipad Pro for consumption and a MacBook Pro for work.... The holy trinity of tech!

ChamNG

May 30, 2014
Visit site
My mother went from 4S to SE yesterday. She loves the Live Photos and flash of front camera. She got to play with the 6s & 6s+ but said they are way to big for her.

dominion1

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
iPhone SE: The best ever phone for Mom & Dad?

I'd say if you have bad eyes, you'd have glasses anyway right? So I don't get the "I'm old and need a big screen". Most of the older people I see actually have the older smaller iphones. So I think eyesight is not the most important thing when considering a phone , it's still the convenient size.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
The 6s seemed like the 'just right' size to her. SE was too small, but she did prefer it over the 6s Plus.

Ok...I think I know how to post on a forum now. Sheesh! :cant-watch::p

James, I think your Mom made the perfect choice. The 6s is more "future proof" for her advancing years...and eyes, plus she'll enjoy the ease of operation that comes from the multi-touch screen. It's a more solid package.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh