iPhone SE: The best ever phone for Mom & Dad?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My mom is in her 60's. She's an amazing woman and does all sorts of great things for the family, but one small thing I want to do for her (mostly because she doesn't have one and should) is get her a mobile phone.

I'm sure many of you have gone through similar situations before! It's important that she have a phone on her at all times, just in case. Even if she never uses it at all - it's the one time she really DOES need it that will make it all worthwhile.

In my mom's case, she knows very little about tech in general, and will tell you the same. Big bro and me will often find ourselves over at her house, fixing a problem with email, or showing her how to pay bills online, or how to visit that new site she heard about.

That said, mom is familiar with Macs and OSX in general. I'm thinking the [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fapple.sjv.io%2Fc%2F221109%2F473657%2F7613%3FsubId1%3DUUimUvbUpU2724995%26subId2%3Dvbim%26u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Fiphone%252F&token=2jtsejdA]iPhone SE[/URL] would be the perfect fit for her, for her FIRST ever mobile phone... for many reasons:

1. The size. Nice and small, easy to carry around.
2. The Specs. They're solid, and should be future proofed for some time.
3. Ease of use. Let's face it, iPhones are easy to use. That will help!
4. Familiarity. She already knows how to use OSX. iOS will be in the comfort zone.
5. Cost. It's not the most expensive device (nor should it be). Mom doesn't want to spend a ton of $, so yay!

Wondering if anyone else out there agrees with my general thinking. Sure, the iPhone 6s is another option, but the extra size (even though not that much) and cost knocks it down a few notches on my list. Any suggestions? Agree or disagree?

Last edited:

keithhackneysmullet

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't assume your mom wants a small screen phone . My mom uses a 6plus because she couldn't see the screen too well anymore on her 4s. Women in general are better equipped for larger phones because it's easily stored in a purse. I would look at a phone with a bigger screen. I think the se is perfect for people that pocket their phone and use a tablet for media consumption

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Dad and Granddad, but I prefer the larger screen 6s Plus. I don't get all the assumptions that the SE is best for kids and parents. So only those between the age 18 and 40 like the Plus size? Or what? Lol

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm a Dad and Granddad, but I prefer the larger screen 6s Plus. I don't get all the assumptions that the SE is best for kids and parents. So only those between the age 18 and 40 like the Plus size? Or what? Lol

I think for some reason, people assume this but like you, I don't get it either.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't assume your mom wants a small screen phone . My mom uses a 6plus because she couldn't see the screen too well anymore on her 4s. Women in general are better equipped for larger phones because it's easily stored in a purse. I would look at a phone with a bigger screen. I think the se is perfect for people that pocket their phone and use a tablet for media consumption

Totally get that - I've already brought examples of the SE sizing, regular 6 and 6 plus sizing for her to check out. The SE seemed to be the one she wanted most. Still undecided though, things could change!

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I agree with #2-5 for the most part, but disagree on #1. My parents both have iPhones -- Dad in his early 70s a 6s and Mom in her late 60s a 6s+ -- and they both enjoy the larger screen and can actually see what is going on (incidentally they both increase the font size, and Dad has bold text turned on). When I helped them upgrade they were both having problems "seeing" on the smaller 4-inch screen...

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I would consider old eyes. May older people appreciate the larger screens bc they have more trouble seeing.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
A couple of years ago I bought my Mom a used iPhone 3G and she loves and cares for it but never charges it so calling her on it is hit or miss. Lol

Seriously a new iPhone for My Mom wouldn't work because all she does is use one app the "Phone" she doesn't text or email and refuses to use voicemail.

Emergency call to me is when she sees a red dot on her home screen. I have to rush over and kill it

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A couple of years ago I bought my Mom a used iPhone 3G and she loves and cares for it but never charges it so calling her on it is hit or miss. Lol

Seriously a new iPhone for My Mom wouldn't work because all she does is use one app the "Phone" she doesn't text or email and refuses to use voicemail.

Emergency call to me is when she sees a red dot on her home screen. I have to rush over and kill it

A 9mm should take care of it!

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
iPhone SE: The best ever phone for Mom & Dad?

I would go for a second hand iPhone 6, since it's easier on the budget.

Yes, the SE is nice and small but maybe too small for her vision?

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the SE would make a great phone for your mother. Here are my 2 cents about my experience.

My Mom currently uses an iPhone 5 (and has for the past 2 years), and it was her first cell phone. She is not a tech savvy person (at all), but we chose the iPhone5 mainly because it is designed to work out of the box (no need to download apps unless you want to).

Regarding screen size: I was thinking that the screen would be too small for her vision, but since my mom doesn't really "surf the web" on her phone (she uses it for calls and emails primarily), it has been fine. As a matter of fact, she used my iPhone 6+ once and said it felt like she was holding a calculator to her head, lol.

She loves using it as a camera as well. It has become her primary camera, so the SE's 12MP should do nicely if the same applies for your mom.

Other benefits of the SE (over a 5S, 6, or 6S) is going to be battery life. I just got my SE, but the battery life seems pretty decent. We might be getting my mom an SE for this alone. She hasn't quite grasped the relationship between use, signal, battery life, and needing to charge it. The longer she can go between charges would probably be beneficial.

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
As our parents get older, they have trouble seeing things , i would go with a 6 or 6s, perfect size. I've seen ladies at work putting up their small phones close to their face to see. I've even helped a couple get iPhones 6 and 6s and they love the size and can see better.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow - tremendous feedback here folks, I really appreciate it.

I'm actually heading over to talk iPhones with my mom later tonight, so we will see how it goes :)

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I think you're right on target. As already mentioned, the only thing I think you might want to take into consideration is eyesight. I am only a couple years younger than your mom and I could never use an SE as I already struggle sight wise with a 6. But if sight is no issue then the SE would be a perfect fit for her.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods