Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    AdamHunterATC's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

    Default Loose buttons?

    Does anyone else's SE have loose volume buttons or vibration switch? Mine have a lot of wiggle. The buttons on my wife's 5s are a lot tighter. Probably gonna take it to Apple sometime this week.
  2. #2  
    jmburke1982's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    960 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,131 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Nope, mine are good. But yea, if it bothers you take it in. Can't hurt.
  3. #3  
    libra89's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Haven't noticed anything. Sounds like that would be worth checking out
  4. #4  
    MaxSmarties's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    579 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Here we are ... #rattlegate and #buttongate on YouTube
  5. #5  
    tarastarisme's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    12 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Mine are actually loose too. Hmm. I don't know if it's enough to bother me though.
  6. #6  
    Lefty724's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,081 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    The only loose button I have is the lock button. It's no enough to bother me though.

    If it bothers you, take it back until they make it right.
    libra89 likes this.
  7. #7  
    MaxSmarties's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    579 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    I had a slightly rattling iPhone 5S three years ago. It probably was the power button (keeping a finger on that stopped the rattling). Not a big deal, I kept the phone one year, sold it, it is still working flawlessly for the new owner.
    There are production tolerances in every device.
    Lefty724 likes this.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    AdamHunterATC's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    There are production tolerances in every device.
    Yeah. But then I feel how tight the buttons on my wife's 5s are, and it irritates me a bit. The volume buttons aren't terrible, but the vibrate switch is a little too loose for my liking. It's fine for now. I don't think my local Apple Store has any SE's in stock anyway.
  9. #9  
    Optimus82's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamHunterATC View Post
    Yeah. But then I feel how tight the buttons on my wife's 5s are, and it irritates me a bit. The volume buttons aren't terrible, but the vibrate switch is a little too loose for my liking. It's fine for now. I don't think my local Apple Store has any SE's in stock anyway.
    My SE gets delivered today and I would be pretty down if my buttons are even a little loose. I wouldnt return it but I have never come across an iphone that had loose buttons. They have always been pretty stiff.
    libra89 likes this.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    AdamHunterATC's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by MelCali82 View Post
    My SE gets delivered today and I would be pretty down if my buttons are even a little loose. I wouldnt return it but I have never come across an iphone that had loose buttons. They have always been pretty stiff.
    Yeah. I've had several iPhones and never had them be this loose.

    I saw on the MacRumors forums that some people have had yellow screens on theirs. I'm scared I'm gonna exchange this one and get a yellow screen. Normally you can chalk this stuff up to it being first batch production pains, but geez... they've been making this design since 2013. You'd think they'd have ironed out the kinks by now.
  11. #11  
    maflynn's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    208 Posts
    Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Mine rattles but I'm not overly worked up over it. I'll have a case on it, and that will be the end of rattling.
    Lefty724 and libra89 like this.
  12. #12  
    MaxSmarties's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    579 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamHunterATC View Post
    Yeah. I've had several iPhones and never had them be this loose.

    I saw on the MacRumors forums that some people have had yellow screens on theirs. I'm scared I'm gonna exchange this one and get a yellow screen. Normally you can chalk this stuff up to it being first batch production pains, but geez... they've been making this design since 2013. You'd think they'd have ironed out the kinks by now.
    On MacRumors you'll find people complaining about everything, believe me . Don't use that forum as a representation of the real world...
    Regarding your buttons, after all it's your call: if you don't like it, wait a few weeks until stocks will be replaced, and then have it checked (at this stage it's quite difficult to receive a refurbished).
  13. #13  
    libra89's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxSmarties View Post
    On MacRumors you'll find people complaining about everything, believe me . Don't use that forum as a representation of the real world...
    Regarding your buttons, after all it's your call: if you don't like it, wait a few weeks until stocks will be replaced, and then have it checked (at this stage it's quite difficult to receive a refurbished).
    I googled this (I mean what the OP mentioned and that place too), and I regret reading the forum. :/
  14. #14  
    MaxSmarties's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    579 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by libra89 View Post
    I googled this (I mean what the OP mentioned and that place too), and I regret reading the forum. :/
    Don't tell me, mate
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    AdamHunterATC's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Exchanged it at Best Buy, and the new one has the same issue.
    \_(ツ)_/

    I'll stop in the Apple Store next time I'm im Charleston.
  16. #16  
    MaxSmarties's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    579 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamHunterATC View Post
    Exchanged it at Best Buy, and the new one has the same issue.
    \_(ツ)_/

    I'll stop in the Apple Store next time I'm im Charleston.
    So maybe it's not an issue but production tolerances as I said before...
    I don't believe in multiple returns: if the first or the second (max) don't satisfied your expectations, ask for a full refund and move on.

    I went through all of this at the time of iPhone 5S, with a rattling sound pointed out by some users on another forum. And being drama queen about that as usual ....
    Not a big deal for me.
    Out of curiosity I tried something like 30-40 iPhones 5S in 3 different Apple Store and 2 authorized resellers: more than 25 exhibited the same behavior.
  17. #17  
    maflynn's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    208 Posts
    Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamHunterATC View Post
    Exchanged it at Best Buy, and the new one has the same issue.
    \_(ツ)_/

    I'll stop in the Apple Store next time I'm im Charleston.
    Throw a case on it (such as an otterbox symmetry) and the rattle will stop. There's a gasket on the phone, and I wonder if the manufacturing process with that, means that more often then not, we may get a rattle.

    I'll admit such a thing appears to be unapple llke, as they tend to ensure the little things are properly designed, but as I mentioned, I'm not worked up over it, and with a case, its not an issue at all.
  18. #18  
    Wotchered's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    527 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Do not accept anything that does not appear to be properly assembled. If you do so,
    you are by inertia, making it appear that improper workmanship and slack quality control do not matter, inevitably leading to more of the same.
    iPhones are premium products, and should not get to the public in anything but perfect fit and functionality. I cannot understand why anyone would part with several hundred of whatever their currency might be and be happy with what are effectively factory seconds.
  19. #19  
    maflynn's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    208 Posts
    Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wotchered View Post
    Do not accept anything that does not appear to be properly assembled. If you do so,
    you are by inertia,
    I've seen people return, 3, 4 or more phones for a minor issue. I guess you can split hairs on the button rattle, that is make an argument that it is properly assembled. The bottom line, is whether people consider my inertia, the button rattle in my book, is a rather minor issue that does not bother me, so I'm happy to keep my phone. No product is perfect, premium or otherwise, and I think life goes a lot better when you don't sweat the small stuff
    libra89 likes this.
  20. #20  
    libra89's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
    I've seen people return, 3, 4 or more phones for a minor issue. I guess you can split hairs on the button rattle, that is make an argument that it is properly assembled. The bottom line, is whether people consider my inertia, the button rattle in my book, is a rather minor issue that does not bother me, so I'm happy to keep my phone. No product is perfect, premium or otherwise, and I think life goes a lot better when you don't sweat the small stuff
    This. I didn't even notice a button rattle until I started shaking my phone to see if it's there. The side buttons are not loose at all for me though. I'm indifferent, it doesn't feel like the button is about to fall off or anything of that nature.
    MaxSmarties likes this.
  21. #21  
    maflynn's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    208 Posts
    Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by libra89 View Post
    This. I didn't even notice a button rattle until I started shaking my phone to see if it's there.
    Same here, my normal use patterns is such that its not noticable. I'm waiting for my case to be delivered and that will further diminish the issue - I'm going naked with it right now (and my phone doesn't have a case )
    Last edited by maflynn; 04-05-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    libra89 and JanuarJaguar like this.
  22. #22  
    MaxSmarties's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    579 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by libra89 View Post
    This. I didn't even notice a button rattle until I started shaking my phone to see if it's there. The side buttons are not loose at all for me though. I'm indifferent, it doesn't feel like the button is about to fall off or anything of that nature.
    You nailed the point !
    people reading those absurd threads started to shake their iPhones just to search for issues

    Believe me, there's people shaking a $1500 MacBook Pro looking for "rattles"....
    libra89 likes this.
  23. #23  
    livaman's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    I have noticed strange sound coming from my iPhone SE after few days of use. Yes, it's power button in my case. As a temporal solution I put blue insulating tape on top side of the phone to prevent button from shaking and put phone into Apple Leather case. It's still rattling but not as bad as before. The most annoying sounds are coming when the phone vibrating in silent mode and every time I put it on my desk. If you move your phone while recording the video you get nasty clicks recorded as well.
  24. #24  
    maflynn's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    208 Posts
    Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    Quote Originally Posted by livaman View Post
    I put blue insulating tape on top side of the phone to prevent button from shaking
    If its bothering you so much that you put tape on the phone, I'd recommend that you return the phone, clearly the rattle is bothering you enough that it will not a good situation for you as you continue to use it.
    libra89 likes this.
  25. #25  
    LCW
    LCW is offline
    LCW's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,214 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,616 Global Posts

    Default Re: Loose buttons?

    My top button is a bit loose, as is the lock switch. But not enough to bother me. And I'm not in the habit of shaking my phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Something loose inside phone
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2016, 07:22 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 03:12 PM
  3. Amazon Dash Buttons can now ship more than 100 products to your door
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2016, 10:30 AM
  4. How can I fix my iPhone 4s home button?
    By iMore Question in forum iPhone 4S
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2016, 06:21 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2016, 12:55 PM

Posting Permissions