Why the big price difference between 6s and SE? Which to buy?

I

iMore Question

So far I am absolutely anti-Apple. Decided 2 days ago to buy an iPhone went to the store today to get my 6s - with AppleCare+ and tax for blazing 954.83$ !!!

I wondered why the store is so busy and then realized that TODAY is the release of the iPhone SE!!

I started reading about it and found: It's basically the same hardware, better battery life but the whole package would cost me 650.33$ (iPhone 6 SE 64GB + AppleCare+ + tax) - 300$ cheaper than the same 6s!

I like the design of the 6s more, I may prefer a larger phone ... but 300$ ?? I am totally unsure now and think about returning my 6s (to my understanding I can do this for 14 days) and get the SE instead.

If there would be ANYTHING better on the 6s (other than size, design, better touch ID) ... but this way I wonder why they can even sell the 6s for that much more?

Can anyone help me with my decision?
What would you do?

Is there really a big reason (worth 300$) to stick with the 6s?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the size of the device is not a factor then the iPhone SE would be your best bet.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The hardware in the SE is nearly identical to the 6s. It's an older design, a smaller screen, a less responsive Touch ID, and no 3D Touch. If those factors don't bother you then an SE might be a better match for you. The trouble you're going to run into is getting your hands on one within the 14-day return period of your 6s. They're sold out everywhere that I'm aware of.

divB

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I should really get the SE then - thanks.

Regarding the return in US Retail Stores: I used the device (turned it on, did a call, removed the plastic) but otherwise it's new (no scratches, dirt, whatsoever) - this is OK, is it?

The trouble you're going to run into is getting your hands on one within the 14-day return period of your 6s. They're sold out everywhere that I'm aware of.

You mean without having a phone right? Because I could return it, order it and use my backup phone meanwhile.

Also, where are you aware of? Bay Area (Palo Alto, Cupertino)?

divB

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Another thought on this: I've read that the sales of the SE are pretty disappointing and far from the expectations. If this is true I wonder how they could be out of stock ...

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Regarding the return in US Retail Stores: I used the device (turned it on, did a call, removed the plastic) but otherwise it's new (no scratches, dirt, whatsoever) - this is OK, is it?

You mean without having a phone right? Because I could return it, order it and use my backup phone meanwhile.

Even if you you used it, but not damaged it, you can return the phone within the 14 days of remorse period...

Another thought on this: I've read that the sales of the SE are pretty disappointing and far from the expectations. If this is true I wonder how they could be out of stock ...
Where did you read that ? On android central ? Lol...

We can't say much about SE sales so far. Preliminary analysis are for a good start (excellent in some countries).

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
This kind of analysis are far from being accurate...
Btw to compare iPhone SE with 6 or 6S sales is just pointless.
The iPhone SE isn't supposed to erode Apple 's flagships sales.
You should compare SE sales with recent 5S and 5C sales.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Sorry about the delay. I'm on vacation so I haven't been on the forums much over the last week. What I meant was that, since the SE is sold out pretty much everywhere from what I'm hearing, it's going to be tough to get your hands on one within the 14 day return period of your current device. That being said, it's not impossible to get an SE, just challenging. And you can also return your current device and then use another phone temporarily until you get an SE.
Apple does not release sales figures until it feels like it so anybody stating what SE sales are is merely guessing at this point.