Iphone SE Battery life

richhill963

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I haven't used my phone much today besides reading news , and playing a game& downloading a new app, but I'm extremely happy with my SE 64gb. todays usage has been so far 5hrs 23min. Standby 24hrs 22min, with 40% juice left.

Bob Garon

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I haven't used my phone much today besides reading news , and playing a game& downloading a new app, but I'm extremely happy with my SE 64gb. todays usage has been so far 5hrs 23min. Standby 24hrs 22min, with 40% juice left.

5 1/2 hours of usage though is a lot. Isn't it?

Bob Garon

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes, not much of a power user but 12-13 hours or SOT is good on any phone imo.

I didn't get the first screen but the most use was from Tapatalk, Pandora and Strava.

My prior android phone would be lucky to have 2 1/2 to 3 hours of screen on time a day before dying. I have never seen 12 to 13 hours of screen on time with any phone no matter what it was. Maybe unless airplane mode is on.

Bob Garon

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Nothing fancy as far as settings. I just have all iCloud settings off and make sure I close all my apps all the time.

However, I stick to a strict charging schedule. Always have.

I only charge the phone when it's below 15%. I never charge the battery just to give it a charge. I've been doing this with every phone I've ever had and have always had outstanding battery life.

My wife's phone lives on the charger, no matter the percentage and her batteries always die quick.

Isn't having iCloud turned off pretty much defeating the purpose of having a smart phone and enjoying the functionality of it across multiple devices or having a backup just in case something happens. That's why do it. Is it unnecessary then? I pretty much just have reminders, Safari, wallet, notes, and find my phone turned on. That's everything that is sink into the iCloud. Everything else is turned off.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
My prior android phone would be lucky to have 2 1/2 to 3 hours of screen on time a day before dying. I have never seen 12 to 13 hours of screen on time with any phone no matter what it was. Maybe unless airplane mode is on.

Yes. My Note 5 was lucky to get 4-5 SOT, and I had a lot of things disabled to help with battery performance. It still sucked.

All of my iPhones have had very good battery life, but nothing close the SE (I just had a 6 plus for a couple of days). I'm not a power user or don't watch many videos or pics, but I do read a lot. I also use Strava and Pandora a ton. This last battery cycle will probably be even better than the last and I was only able to charge it to 95% as we had to go. I never use a car charger.....ever.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Isn't having iCloud turned off pretty much defeating the purpose of having a smart phone and enjoying the functionality of it across multiple devices or having a backup just in case something happens. That's why do it. Is it unnecessary then? I pretty much just have reminders, Safari, wallet, notes, and find my phone turned on. That's everything that is sink into the iCloud. Everything else is turned off.

You're right. And I was wrong. ICloud has been on the whole time.

I was thinking about my last iPhone 6 when I was using my Note 5.

Last edited:

Bob Garon

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes. My Note 5 was lucky to get 4-5 SOT, and I had a lot of things disabled to help with battery performance. It still sucked.

All of my iPhones have had very good battery life, but nothing close the SE (I just had a 6 plus for a couple of days). I'm not a power user or don't watch many videos or pics, but I do read a lot. I also use Strava and Pandora a ton. This last battery cycle will probably be even better than the last and I was only able to charge it to 95% as we had to go. I never use a car charger.....ever.

I always use a car charger whenever I am using a navigation maps or the like.. I just don't want my battery running down since it keeps the screen on. That way I have good amount of juice when I get out of the car.

I'm curious about your charging habits and not putting it on the charger until it has 15% or less. I always charge over night no matter how much juice left. I just want to make sure that I have full charge in the morning when I wake up to go through my day.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Ya. It's just my personal habits. Imo, a car charger burns up your battery since they are mostly "quick chargers". I have no scientific data to back this up, just my own experience.

The only charger I use is what comes on the iPhone box.

I never, ever put my phones on a car charger unless it's an emergency. With my uses, I'm able to gauge battery uses and plan ahead.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Here is my battery life for the last day. As you can see, Tapatalk is my main apps that I use.
a65b69a8ef6480badc0972d6e4ca803d.jpg

e34de4d05e0c206d347ceed6867fd3ff.jpg

anon(5928073)

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Just to clear things up a bit in this thread.

Usage, is not limited to SOT (screen on time). A note 5 produces 4-5 SOT which is measured by android in their settings, and that is very good. The 10-12 hours you are seeing is usage. This is reflected not only by SOT, but by background apps and processes also. Listening to music goes under usage, and any time an app turns on the CPU in the background qualifies as usage. So, while 10-12 hours is extremely good, your SOT (considering you are a lighter user) is probably anywhere from 4-5 hours, just like your note 5 was.

Also, just wanted to post my two cents and say that I have used car chargers and iPad chargers with my iPhone's and androids.. All have worked very well and have never diminished battery life. BUT constant use of a charger will diminish battery life if used more than necessary.

One last thing, lithium batteries do usually last longer if drained and charged to 100%, but they are usually best within the 20-80% range for some reason. There's articles out there which I will try to find on this. But it is best to stay away from a charger until you need it.

Lefty724

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Agreed.

I've read all the articles on lithium batteries and how constant charging and/or car chargers don't affect them.

While I respect that, I live by own set of charging rules and have had nothing but good luck (as you can see) doing it and will continue to do so.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I always use a car charger whenever I am using a navigation maps or the like.. I just don't want my battery running down since it keeps the screen on. That way I have good amount of juice when I get out of the car.

I'm curious about your charging habits and not putting it on the charger until it has 15% or less. I always charge over night no matter how much juice left. I just want to make sure that I have full charge in the morning when I wake up to go through my day.
Actually to almost deplete completely the battery (<15%) is quite stressful for the battery itself. It would be better to keep the battery between 30-40% and 80-90% most of the time. DO not keep it connected to the charger but avoid deep discharging cycles.

Just to clear things up a bit in this thread.

Usage, is not limited to SOT (screen on time). A note 5 produces 4-5 SOT which is measured by android in their settings, and that is very good. The 10-12 hours you are seeing is usage. This is reflected not only by SOT, but by background apps and processes also. Listening to music goes under usage, and any time an app turns on the CPU in the background qualifies as usage. So, while 10-12 hours is extremely good, your SOT (considering you are a lighter user) is probably anywhere from 4-5 hours, just like your note 5 was.

Also, just wanted to post my two cents and say that I have used car chargers and iPad chargers with my iPhone's and androids.. All have worked very well and have never diminished battery life. BUT constant use of a charger will diminish battery life if used more than necessary.

One last thing, lithium batteries do usually last longer if drained and charged to 100%, but they are usually best within the 20-80% range for some reason. There's articles out there which I will try to find on this. But it is best to stay away from a charger until you need it.
this is probably the article you were referring to:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Peter2015

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
So i finally got my phone and I must say i am far from being impressed. Idk how you guys getting your amazing battery life here with 30 + hours stand by and 12 hours usage time. Unless you use it all day and then you go to sleep and on the next morning it's been 30 hours since unplugged from the charger..
Anyway this is what i was able to squeeze out of it today.. not impressed at all....
IMG_0200 2.PNG image.png

Last edited:

AnnaKurkowa

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
This is the third day using the SE and today I got pretty got battery usage. It was at 100% at around 8AM and now it's 00:30AM at night and I am on 2%.
I never got such a good time on any iPhone. Had the plus but never tested it out so far.
iMoreAppImg_20160419_003107.jpgiMoreAppImg_20160419_003112.jpg

Bob Garon

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Actually to almost deplete completely the battery (<15%) is quite stressful for the battery itself. It would be better to keep the battery between 30-40% and 80-90% most of the time. DO not keep it connected to the charger but avoid deep discharging cycles.

this is probably the article you were referring to:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

So you don't recommend charging nightly while sleeping? This is what I typically do no matter my phone so I have 100% to start my day. Is this practice bad?

Should I rather just put my phone in airplane mode while sleeping and then charge during the day when it gets below 15%? I just don't want to need my phone and it be low battery.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So you don't recommend charging nightly while sleeping? This is what I typically do no matter my phone so I have 100% to start my day. Is this practice bad?

Should I rather just put my phone in airplane mode while sleeping and then charge during the day when it gets below 15%? I just don't want to need my phone and it be low battery.

Allowing the phone to to sit on the charger even after it's at 100% does not harm the battery or the phone. Lithium-Ion batteries will automatically stop charging once they are fully charged. Even while on the charger the battery will slowly go down, and then charge up again. This is fine.

JakubRWrobel

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I managed to get after my 1st complete charge:
IMG_0013.jpg

I'm not a power user by any means, but this is definitely a significant improvement over my 5S.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So i finally got my phone and I must say i am far from being impressed. Idk how you guys getting your amazing battery life here with 30 + hours stand by and 12 hours usage time. Unless you use it all day and then you go to sleep and on the next morning it's been 30 hours since unplugged from the charger..
Anyway this is what i was able to squeeze out of it today.. not impressed at all....
View attachment 105453 View attachment 105457

Age of the phone and usage habits play a big part. I got my 6s Plus in September. In October I was getting 12 hours usage per charge. Standby was around 16 hours. But I'm a very heavy user. So now I get around 8? hours usage per charge. It's at 95% health. My cycle count is at 292.

josh3326

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I found the battery life on the iPhone SE to be below par for what I tested it for. Having said that, I bought the phone only for the purpose of testing it, like many other devices, but I will end up keeping this. Battery is excellent if you don't try to drain it on purpose like I did. For the everyday user, it's great! I browsed, watched videos, streamed quite a bit of music, and the phone's battery didn't last long at all. It was less than 5 hours, but better than my iPhone 6s. For some reason, the phone lasted longer than the 6s. I put it through the average, everyday test and it lasted 3/4 of the day. Plugged it in at 20% at 5pm.

I do miss the small form factor of a phone, which comes in handy while jogging or hiking. That's why I'm keeping it. It has a decent camera, great specs, for such an awesome price!

Frazzel 001

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
After what was getting a joke with my Samsung s6 edge this is a nice relief for my useage on the battery this phone. 1st day of use was this iMoreAppImg_20160506_074924.jpg. Not bad at all

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR